Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your thoughts if Brunell doesn't look good against Minnesota

bbuzz1962

I want more than anyone for Mark Brunell to have his best season ever as a Washington Redskin. He has been given all the weapons a veteran quarterback could ask for. He has the experience and the arm to succeed this year, and barring a serious injury, I think he has a chance to take this team to the Superbowl.

With this kind of pressure on him, I am wondering what would happen if he didn't have a good game in the season opener. I have patience, and would think the coaches would understand that there is a lot of pressure on him to succeed this year, not to put a lot of weight on one game.

God forbid, if he were to have a terrible season opener, how would you respond, even if we won ugly? Would you have Campbell in the bull pen warming up, or would you wait for two or three games?

Again, I think Brunell will be great this year, but I thought I would throw this out there.

I think we will have a better assessment of ou QB's after training camp and preseason/ !!!!

There's nothing wrong with winning ugly, other than the fact that it is stressful as hell. The playoff win over Tampa may have been tough to watch, but I'm sure we can all agree that losing to them would have negated some of the positives of last season.

That said a heathy Clinton Portis (he got a little banged up towards the end of the season which is understandable) and new offensive weapons (receivers and coaching) should take some of the pressure off Brunell. I'm not crazy enough to say that they are going to win it all right now (I'm sure we'll reevaluate midseason) but they will be competetive and tough for most teams to deal with. You also know that D is going to be fierce!! HTTR

:logo:

I have a hard time believing after 1 to 3 games most of you guys would want to take out Brunell and put in an inexperienced QB like Jason Campbell. Yes everyone is intrigued by Campbell but he HAS NOT played in 1 reg. season game. No one knows how he is going to react when he is under pressure and if he is going to go for the homerun(and instead throw a pick). I personally would rather see Collins in before Campbell, just because he knows Saunders system better.

yeah. and at this rate he never will.

Brunells knows this is possibly his last season as a starter. Gibbs wants very badly to give Campbell a chance. He knows preseason doesn't count for much. There's no substitute for real playing time. If Brunell struggles consistently (either due to his physical limitations or due to the new playbook) then Gibbs will want to see Campbell show what he can do.

We all know JC is going to need some time to settle in. He's going to throw interceptions, get sacked, have disagreements with the team, be tempted to run a play different from what the coaches want, etc. It's what happens with a new QB. He needs to find his rhythm, his identity, his style in the NFL. He needs to earn his street cred.

A lot of the mechanics of a play are automatic to Brunell. He doesn't have to think about them after a snap. He can just react instinctively. JC will need to internalize all that and he'll likely need 2 seasons under his belt before he zigs and zags like we want him to. Sure he'll have moments of brilliance but he's also have moments when he chokes and Gibb's job is to use JC when those choke plays won't cost us too much. While JC is coming up to speed, with all the weapons around him, the team could still pull off a lot of wins (just look at what the Giants have done despite Manning's struggles).

Waiting til after the first game is way too long.

We need to see how he does on the first snap of training camp. That's our indicator for how his season will go.

Incomplete - bench him

Fumbled snap - bench him

INT - bench him

completion - wait until snap #2

Waiting til after the first game is way too long.

We need to see how he does on the first snap of training camp. That's our indicator for how his season will go.

Incomplete - bench him

Fumbled snap - bench him

INT - bench him

completion - wait until snap #2

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Gibbs said at the end of last season that Campbell was coming along great and JC would get a lot more playing time in 2006. But, Al Saunders in his latest interview downplayed his opinion of JC. He said JC would have had better technique if he had played in one system for a long time. Because JC has had to switch around and learn a new offense every year, his core skills aren't what Al would have wanted them to be. I see a difference of opinion on JC's readiness between Gibbs and Saunders. Anyone have a read on what Saunders meant?

Brunell won't look bad enough to make a change. Game managers rarely "look bad" in games if its not going well. The offense will gear around what he does best and the playmakers will do the work. Gun slingers generally look bad in games if its not going well. But Brunell gives a added advantage because he can do much more than simply manage the game. He can make plays with his feet and arm. Contorversy is over the #2 back up.

Brunell just needs to keep the ball in his receivers hands. Move the ball, don't turn it over, be smart, and score first. I just hope Saunders can adopt a small portion of Gibb's ball control. I don't want a Run N Shoot style. 35+ min of possesion and we will win 75% of the time.

If he doesn't come out slinging TDs and putting up massive yards, I won't crap my pants, so long as he can manage the rest of the offense and keep things moving. Even if he does struggle a little, it's not the end of the world. Like others said, give him three games before you pull the plug. I just really hope we see 05 Brunell, and not 04...

I agree, the only way I'd like to see mb pulled is if we go 0-3... I'm going to the Skins v Texans- he better not lose that biatch!

If he himself (i.e. defense and run game play well) loses 2 of the first 3 games then I say we pull him (maybe just for a game to motivate him and see how good our #2 is... whoever our #2 is it at that point). :2cents:

Brunell won't struggle against Minnesota. The Skins defense iwll dominate so completely and Portis and the offensive line wil crank it up a notch that it would take a monumental effort on Brunell's part to not have a good night much less a decent night.

what if he looks all world?

:doh:

What if he breaks a leg and doesn't start at all? :doh: That's not the point of the thread Bubba. Every sports writer in the business has stated that the Redskins season is riding on the success of Mark Brunell this season. Regardless of how long Brunell has been in the league, it has to put a tremendous amount of pressure on him to want to come out and look like a quarterback who can take a team into the playoffs and beyond. No matter how we all play it off, we all know that there is some validity to the point.

Most of us think he will be the man, and do the job. But if he were to lay an egg in game one, we all know the air waves will be full of I told you so's.

Archived