Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your thoughts if Brunell doesn't look good against Minnesota

bbuzz1962

I want more than anyone for Mark Brunell to have his best season ever as a Washington Redskin. He has been given all the weapons a veteran quarterback could ask for. He has the experience and the arm to succeed this year, and barring a serious injury, I think he has a chance to take this team to the Superbowl.

With this kind of pressure on him, I am wondering what would happen if he didn't have a good game in the season opener. I have patience, and would think the coaches would understand that there is a lot of pressure on him to succeed this year, not to put a lot of weight on one game.

God forbid, if he were to have a terrible season opener, how would you respond, even if we won ugly? Would you have Campbell in the bull pen warming up, or would you wait for two or three games?

Again, I think Brunell will be great this year, but I thought I would throw this out there.

I want more than anyone for Mark Brunell to have his best season ever as a Washington Redskin. He has been given all the weapons a veteran quarterback could ask for. He has the experience and the arm to succeed this year, and barring a serious injury, I think he has a chance to take this team to the Superbowl.

With this kind of pressure on him, I am wondering what would happen if he didn't have a good game in the season opener. I have patience, and would think the coaches would understand that there is a lot of pressure on him to succeed this year, not to put a lot of weight on one game.

God forbid, if he were to have a terrible season opener, how would you respond, even if we won ugly? Would you have Campbell in the bull pen warming up, or would you wait for two or three games?

Again, I think Brunell will be great this year, but I thought I would throw this out there.

yeah i agree, i also hope the best for mark brunell this year. but if we have a bad opener, which could happen u never know. i still would wait maybe mid-season if its not to late 2 look at a serious change at QB..

I would give Brunell at least 3 games to make himself look good. If he messes up during those 3 games, then I would put Jason Campbell. If I really had a time machine, I wish I could get the Mark Brunell from the 1999 NFL Season when he was still with the Jaguars; use him as our Redskins QB b/c of his attributes. The only drawback is that it is going to take some time for the Mark Brunell from 1999 to learn the playbook.

I have a hard time believing after 1 to 3 games most of you guys would want to take out Brunell and put in an inexperienced QB like Jason Campbell. Yes everyone is intrigued by Campbell but he HAS NOT played in 1 reg. season game. No one knows how he is going to react when he is under pressure and if he is going to go for the homerun(and instead throw a pick). I personally would rather see Collins in before Campbell, just because he knows Saunders system better.

I am no rabid Brunell fan by any stretch of the imagination, but it wont happen.

I would be shocked to see Brunell really struggle that much in the Minnesota game.

If he did struggle for several games at the begining(again would be shocked to see it), id probobly expect to see Campbell in pretty quickly(seeing as this is no longer a rebuilding phase).

I have a hard time believing after 1 to 3 games most of you guys would want to take out Brunell and put in an inexperienced QB like Jason Campbell. Yes everyone is intrigued by Campbell but he HAS NOT played in 1 reg. season game. No one knows how he is going to react when he is under pressure and if he is going to go for the homerun(and instead throw a pick). I personally would rather see Collins in before Campbell, just because he knows Saunders system better.

knowledge and execution are two different things

Many of you are very fast to pull the lead on Brunell if he starts to slip, despite the resounding support he gets in the Pro-Bowl threads. Mark Brunell can't put up 60%, 250 yards and 2 TD's every game. There will be debacles, the offense isn't perfect. Don't forget, we open up against some pretty good defenses aside from Houston. In a relatively new offense, he might start slowly.

How he looks in the preseason games has alot to do with it. If he was to struggle in the preseason and Campbell or most likely Collins looks better, dont give him no lead way pull him! It would be very interesting to see what the coaches would do in that sitiation. Gibbs has been very stubborn when it comes to Brunell and I amost think he would keep him in. and i dont know maybe its Saunders call?

How he looks in the preseason games has alot to do with it. If he was to struggle in the preseason and Campbell or most likely Collins looks better, dont give him no lead way pull him! It would be very interesting to see what the coaches would do in that sitiation. Gibbs has been very stubborn when it comes to Brunell and I amost think he would keep him in. and i dont know maybe its Saunders call?

I agree that the preseason will tell us a lot, both about Brunell and about Campbell. I thought Brunell looked awful in 2004, then totally rejuvenated in the 2005 preseason, so I'm glad we went back to him early in 2005. For 2006, I hope Brunell looks good in preseason again. If not, and if he struggles early in the season, I think a possible move to Campbell (or Collins) would depend a whole lot on how Campbell performs in the preseason. Obviously Brunell is our starter now, no doubt about it, but it's a big preseason for Campbell in terms of his place on the depth chart (and just how deep on the depth chart he is). I am looking forward to August to see Campbell get some real playing time.

If Brunell struggles in game one, there are so many built in excuses. Expect to hear, he's coming off of injury limiting his pre-season reps, he's in a new offense, give him time, and he's playing with new receivers; it'll take time to click. Listen, IMO, everything rides on Brunell this season, we need that cat in there. Period.

Mark's head is not on the chopping block and I don't see us making a QB change even if he drops the season opener, it's gonna take alot more than that to yank him. Gibbs will know when the time comes for a change. I don't see it happening though. He is the ultimate game manager and doesn't make many mistakes. He kept us in alot of games last year and that's all you can ask for from a guy like that.

HTTR!

Brunell had a great season last year, and only fluttered at the end when everyone and their mother knew Moss and Cooley were the only two targets he had. Brunell might start out slowly, but I don't expect him to as our o-line has another year under their belt, and Brunell has multiple targets to choose from. I hope MB has the best year he has ever had, and then some, so all the mediots who bash him yet praise Bleed-so in the same sentence will stfu once and for all. MB is a smart player, and as long as he is healthy us Skins shouldn't have anything to worry about.

If he doesn't come out slinging TDs and putting up massive yards, I won't crap my pants, so long as he can manage the rest of the offense and keep things moving. Even if he does struggle a little, it's not the end of the world. Like others said, give him three games before you pull the plug. I just really hope we see 05 Brunell, and not 04...

Archived