WLB: Holdman, McIntosh, McCune

CB: Springs, Wright

CB: Rogers, Jimoh

SS: Archuleta, Doughty

FS: Taylor, Prioleau

LS: Albright

K: Hall

P: Lonie

This was really tough in some positions. I feel like Rock should be on here, but I see Lumsden making the team. I think we will carry 3 TEs also. i think 4 backup offensive linemen should be about right.

On defense, we have very little depth throughout the secondary, so maybe one less LB or DT and one more CB.

Funny, even though it feels like this is pretty much the same team as last year, you still have about 17 names off the top of my head that weren't on the 53 man roster last year. That's more than 30% turnover. I think it feels stable because only 3 starters are likely new: Lloyd, Carter, and Archuleta.

Still, there aren't a lot of spots to be won in camp. I wish there was more competition at linebacker, backup OL and in the defensive backfield, but I think you're right: we've got what we've got at this point.

Rock makes the roster period... He came through huge in the very limited instances he was called upon to perform. Lumsden is a loooooooong shot headed straight for the practice squad if ya ask me.

I like Nemo to make the team before Lumsden. Either at FB or HB.

This was really tough in some positions. I feel like Rock should be on here, but I see Lumsden making the team.
I hope Lumsden makes the team too. Rock Cartwright could still make the team as a fullback. I would be surprised to see either of them go because they both have signed contracts recently. If it was up to me, I'd cut Betts, but I doubt that will happen.

I hope Lumsden makes the team too. Rock Cartwright could still make the team as a fullback. I would be surprised to see either of them go because they both have signed contracts recently. If it was up to me, I'd cut Betts, but I doubt that will happen.

Cutting Betts is crazy talk. He's a damn good backup. Rock aint going anywhere either.

Funny, even though it feels like this is pretty much the same team as last year, you still have about 17 names off the top of my head that weren't on the 53 man roster last year. That's more than 30% turnover. I think it feels stable because only 3 starters are likely new: Lloyd, Carter, and Archuleta

...that speaks well about the depth that we have this year as compared to the last 2 years, I think.

There aren't a lot of spots to be won in camp. I wish there was more competition at linebacker, backup OL and in the defensive backfield, but I think you're right: we've got what we've got at this point.

I don't agree with your assessment that we need more competition at linebacker...our part-time starting LB will be scrapping it out with 3 other draft picks (Havner, McIntosh & Kevin Simon) and McCune, Clemons & Khary Campbell just to make the team. While depth at OL would have been preferable, it's hard to get experienced starters to come into a backup role, so marginal starters & inexperienced players wind up fulfilling those roles. While no team can have a lineman get injured without suffering, I think we have suitable players in Pucillo, Walter and Molinaro (but I have a feeling they may have Ray Brown's # on speed dial if someone got injured).

I just can't see Rock not making the team. You have to figure also, with the possibility of a 2 back back-field, they may keep 4 total.

I think the fact that Rock is now listed on the Roster as a fullback is very revealing. To me, it hints that both he and Lumsden are expected to make the team.

No way will Rock be cut; he's much too valuable. Plus, he's what Joe Gibbs calls "a real Redskin". Lumsden is just too talented to cut or expose on the scout team.

So, there you have it: Portis, Betts, Sellers, Rock, and Lumsden are the backs, barring injury. If any of them is hurt enough to go on IR (something like a paper cut in the case of Lumsden), either Nemo or White make the team.

I don't agree with your assessment that we need more competition at linebacker...our part-time starting LB will be scrapping it out with 3 other draft picks (Havner, McIntosh & Kevin Simon) and McCune, Clemons & Khary Campbell just to make the team.

While the quantity might be right, I'm not so sure about the quality... after Washington, of course. Everyone falls back on the old "Gregg Williams could pick up some guys outside Home Depot and make star LBs out of them" argument, but it looks like the Skins will be manning a couple of LB slots with either rookies or underwhelming vets. And the depth will be more of the same. It looks like a question mark to me.

The Redskins will certainly try to keep many of the guys you listed, but some will be practice squad players. No need to fill roster spots with guys who can be on the practice squad and develop there. Also, I don't think they're going to keep 17 guys to fill 7 starting positions on D. The D front seven need a back up or two but not nearly three at each position. With that in mind they can keep Carwright, practice squad Lumsden and keep a few other guys around either on the roster or the practive squad.

Rock makes the roster period... He came through huge in the very limited instances he was called upon to perform. Lumsden is a loooooooong shot headed straight for the practice squad if ya ask me.

I like Nemo to make the team before Lumsden. Either at FB or HB.

Ya, I like Rock mainly because he stepped in (ST Louis and Raiders I think) and proved that we don't miss a beat when CP/Betts is out and of course Betts is right up there. Rock also works, as JG would say, the "T"'s real hard too. I haven't seen Lumsden, but from what I hear on this board he's a noticeable talent. Question is what bench marks will he have to set and how much of a difference will he have to show to make the team.

He'll have to definetly be good on Kick off coverage. Right now I know Lumsden has a huge size difference but still haven't seen him run the lane. He should be running a lot harder than CP, a whole lot and also blocking (stoning) LBs on blitz pick ups. For his size he must do all this equally well as Rock.

Remember a lot of what CP and Rock does is just pure talent (not a lot of size) and they also do a lot of intangibles. I'll take the Rock but ya, good thread, it's thought provoking. Hopefully we'll get some more feedback on this board.

But CP runs hard, I mean he runs hard as hell and there are not a lot of DBs that can go shoulder to shoulder with him. I mean CP ran someone down in the ground during the wild card in Tampa, when he scored after our INT, in the 1st quarter. I can go back and look at the tape but I think it was a SS. But he ran him down and there was some brushes from other LBs on that same play, too. Like when Philly came to town and he scored, again ran some one straite in the ground. When NY Giants came to town smoked the hell out of a Giants DB, I mena he smkoed him from about 25 yds out...I think we ran the left side, but he slipped a LB, a DB showed up and CP was gone.

There are many instances where CP just runs people in the ground and he can go around you too. I would say CP is an All- Pro back easily and worth every bit of what he's paid if not more---probably more. Kootoes to Cerrato on that one. Rock will probably be running harder this training camp, and focusing on other intangibles....but like most of the comments already stated, if Lumsden hits the practice squad how long will he last. Ya, so all kinds of factors will be considered when we're talking roster changes. But then again Rock probably wouldn't last long either. We've also experienced results of Lumsden on another team--I think it was Seattle. :munchout:

Punter is Frost's to lose. Don't be suprised if we keep only 8 OL (not including Albright) on our final roster since we've got a couple of rooks who will probably be available for the PS and/or available to us if we need a body to sign to our active squad during the season. Same might be true for the DT. Between LB, CB and S, I think the extra slot (8 for LB and 5 for either DB slot) goes to the best ST player.

My assessment of the roster.

Albright, Ethan LS - Roster

Alston, Jon OL - Battle/Practice Squad (PS)

Archuleta, Adam S - Roster

Betts, Ladell RB - Roster

Boschetti, Ryan DT - Battle

Bramlet, Casey QB - Cut

Broughton, Nehemiah FB - Battle

Brown, Manaia DT- PS/Cut

Brunell, Mark QB - Roster

Burns, Curry S - Cut

Campbell, Jason QB - Roster

Campbell, Khary LB - Roster

Carter, Andre DE - Roster

Carter, Kerry RB - Cut

Cartwright, Rock FB - Roster

Cash, Ataveus WR - Cut

Clemons, Chris LB - Roster

Clemons, Nic DE - Battle

Collins, Todd QB - Roster

Combs, Jonathan RB - PS/Cut

Cooley, Chris TE - Roster

Daniels, Phillip DE - Roster

Dockery, Derrick G - Roster

Doughty, Reed S - Battle/PS

Espy, Mike WR - PS

Eubanks, John CB - Cut

Evans, Demetric DE - Battle

Farris, Jimmy WR - Cut

Fauria, Christian TE - Roster

Fenner, Derrick WR - Roster

Frost, Derrick P - Battle

Golston, Kedric DT - Battle/PS

Griffin, Cornelius DT - Roster

Hall, John K - Roster

Harris, Steven WR - Cut

Harvey, Jasper OL - Cut

Havner, Spencer LB - Battle/PS

Hawkins, Chris CB - PS/Cut

Holdman, Warrick LB - Roster

Jacobs, Taylor WR - Cut

Jansen, Jon T - Roster

Jimoh, Ade CB - Roster

Johnson, Robert TE

Jones, Jim OL - Cut

Jones, Tyler K - Battle

Killings, Cedric DT - Battle

Lefotu, Kili OL - Battle/PS

Lloyd, Brandon WR - Roster

Lonie, David P - Battle

Lumsden, Jesse RB - Battle/PS

Manupuna, Vaka DT - PS/Cut

Marshall, Lemar LB - Roster

McCune, Robert LB - Battle/PS

McIntosh, Roger LB - Roster

Molinaro, Jim T - Battle

Montgomery, Anthony DT - Battle

Morton, Christian CB - Cut

Moss, Santana WR - Roster

Ndukwe, Ikechuku OL - Battle

Ortega, Buck TE - PS

Patten, David WR - Roster

Patterson, Dimitri CB - PS

Pino, Chris OT - Cut

Portis, Clinton RB - Roster

Powell, Calen TE - Cut

Prioleau, Pierson S - Roster

Pucillo, Mike OL - Roster

Rabach, Casey C - Roster

Randle El, Antwaan WR - Roster

Riley, Karon DE - Cut

Rogers, Carlos CB - Roster

Salave'a, Joe DT - Roster

Samuels, Chris T - Roster

Sellers, Mike FB - Roster

Simon, Kevin LB - Battle/PS

Smith, Richard WR - Cut

Springs, Shawn CB - Roster

Sykes, Joe DE - Cut

Taylor, Sean S - Roster

Thomas, Randy G - Roster

Thrash, James WR - Roster

Walter, Tyson OL - Battle

Washington, Marcus LB - Roster

White, Jr., Manuel FB - Battle

Williams, Aric CB - Cut

Wilson, Dennard S - Battle

Woodard, Jonta OL - Cut

Wright, Kenny CB - Roster

Wynn, Renaldo DE - Roster

I count about 40 guys who are locks.

Position Battles

S - Doughty vs. Wilson

DT - Montgomery vs. Golston vs. Boschetti vs. Killings

DE - Clemons vs. Evans

LB - Havner vs. Simon vs. McCune

HB - Broughton vs. Lumsden vs. White

OL - Walter vs. Molinaro vs. Ndukwe vs. Lefotu vs. Alston

P - Lonie vs. Frost

There are 21 guys I think that are in a position battle with only 13 spots left on the team. Doughty will probably beat out Wilson for the 4th safety position. Decisions on both lines are going to be hard with deciding on keeping veterans or rookies. On the DL, Killings and Evans are most likely already on the team. The others have to have great camps and preseason to see what they are worth. I really like Havner but Simon and McCune will be right there at the most competitive position battle. Broughton and White are kind of the same player and Lumsden is the great white hope. Molinaro has been on the team for a couple of years and hasn't shown much. Walter needs to show he was worth a free agent pickup. I believe Frost will have to earn his job from Lonie.

It is a little early to speculate the opening day roster. However, it will be interesting. I can't wait until preseason.

While the quantity might be right, I'm not so sure about the quality... after Washington, of course. Everyone falls back on the old "Gregg Williams could pick up some guys outside Home Depot and make star LBs out of them" argument, but it looks like the Skins will be manning a couple of LB slots with either rookies or underwhelming vets. And the depth will be more of the same. It looks like a question mark to me.

While I mostly agree with you - I think Lemar proved his worth as an athlete - though he is older and it took him a while to adjust to the NFL I think he's got MLB locked up until we draft or sign a monster LB and move Rocky inside. Lemar is good.

Plus Rocky is young and has had some injuries but he is about as good an athlete as you could hope for at the WLB position, plus he's smart. So yeah thats 2 guys I don't think count as guys you could pick up outside home depot.

Not to mention if Mccune ever put it together he could be a devastating 3rd down pass rusher, he is more athletic than Lavar was.

I also think Christian Mortonson makes the squad, he is really fast like Sean Springs and Jerry Gray likes speed - plus I think he's shown over the last 2 NFL seasons he deserves a shot. So we keep 1 more corner and Khary Cambell gets cut. IMHO

Everybody is high on Lumsden....what has he done....

Better yet is their video of him...I guess I should search.....

Does the guy have NFL experience...or does he look good in practice?

No he was a rookie in the CFL last year and he tore it up, I'll link video for you.

I think the thing that mostly got people high on lumsden is that he was moved up the depth chart to the 3rd RB and Kickoff Returner after Minicamp.

I say Nemo and White go to the Practice squad, I just can't see White making the Roster right away over Cartwright at FB - as high as I am on White, I really think the kid is going to be special.

Here is his CFL Highlights, remember he went there after he tore his hamstring as an UDFA with the Seahawks. Even though they knew he was going to leave he still got drafted 5th over all. And he came to the Redskins with Kerry Carter - even though our RB situation was supposed to be "set" and there are tons of other teams all these RBs like him and Carter could have gone to.

He knew the Skins wanted him, at least as a kick returner.

6'1.75" 230 runs a 4.43 and returns kickoffs. He is a monster, I hope he makes it in a Redskin uniform.

Just remember, if he had played for Ohio State last year instead of a CFL team we would be drooling over him after watching this video.

http://www.jesselumsden.net/lumsdenautumn2005.wmv

My assessment of the roster.

Johnson, Robert TE

I count about 40 guys who are locks.

Position Battles

S - Doughty vs. Wilson

DT - Montgomery vs. Golston vs. Boschetti vs. Killings

DE - Clemons vs. Evans

LB - Havner vs. Simon vs. McCune

HB - Broughton vs. Lumsden vs. White

OL - Walter vs. Molinaro vs. Ndukwe vs. Lefotu vs. Alston

P - Lonie vs. Frost

There are 21 guys I think that are in a position battle with only 13 spots left on the team. Doughty will probably beat out Wilson for the 4th safety position. Decisions on both lines are going to be hard with deciding on keeping veterans or rookies. On the DL, Killings and Evans are most likely already on the team. The others have to have great camps and preseason to see what they are worth. I really like Havner but Simon and McCune will be right there at the most competitive position battle. Broughton and White are kind of the same player and Lumsden is the great white hope. Molinaro has been on the team for a couple of years and hasn't shown much. Walter needs to show he was worth a free agent pickup. I believe Frost will have to earn his job from Lonie.

It is a little early to speculate the opening day roster. However, it will be interesting. I can't wait until preseason.

What do you have on Robert Johnson?

QB: Brunell, Campbell, Collins (Campbell wins #2, Brunell will go down, the Campbell Era will begin!)

RB: Portis, Betts, Rock Cartwright, White (Cartwright signed a 5 year deal, no way he gets cut. nemo and white is a toss up)

FB: Sellers, White

TE: Cooley, Fauria, Johnson

OT: Samuels, Molinaro

OG: Dockery, Pucillo, Lefotu (do not deny the Semoin! [srry i spelled wrong])

C: . Rabach, Pucillo, Walter (Pucillo signed a 4yr deal so i believe he will be primary backup)

OG: Thomas, Pucillo, Jones

OT: Jansen, (Molinaro)

WR: Moss, Randle El, Thrash

WR: Lloyd, Patten

DE: Carter, Wynn, Evans

DT: Salavea,*, Montgomery(Gibbs said somewhere that they will keep 4 or 5 DT and 4 DE)

DT: Griffin,*, Killings (*= if one of our starting DT go down. Wynn will start a DT)

DE: Daniels, Wynn, Evans

SLB: Washington, Mccune

MLB: Marshall, Campbell, Simon

WLB: Holdman, McIntosh, Clemons

CB: Springs, Wright

CB: Rogers, Jimoh, Patterson (not necessarily Patterson, but some sleeper DB will make it. no way we go into the season with 4 DBs like we did last year)

SS: Archuleta, Prioleau, Doughty

FS: Taylor, Prioleau, Doughty

LS: Albright

K: Hall

P: Frost

thar she blows! parfect!

Nice List!

Only difference I see is in the back up RB and FB.

RB...Lumsden - Rock

FB...White - Nemo

In another thread, I said the battle at back up WR would be the toughest competition, with Patten vs. whoever and Thrash a lock (i.e. ST Ace). But the guys I showed above will be battling equally as hard. Personally I'm routing for Rock and Nemo, but may the best make it.

Archived