Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Junior high basketball assault caught on tape

Skinned

There's another element to this story that no one really wants to talk about but it should be obvious from the video (though the thing didn't load for me, I saw it somewhere else.) It may not be that the young punk had a particular motivation other than rage but the inaction afterwards did.

When the boy and his father went to the school to try to get some action, nothing happened. No one wanted to touch the case. Why? Anyone else would have either been expelled or at least stiffly punished. Hell, they suspend people for bringing nail files to school and accuse little 5 year old boys of 'sexual harrassment' for hugging a classmate.

At least charges will be filed, there was no excuse for no action to be taken within the school district.

There's another element to this story that no one really wants to talk about but it should be obvious from the video (though the thing didn't load for me, I saw it somewhere else.)

When the boy and his father went to the school to try to get some action, nothing happened. No one wanted to touch the case. Why? Anyone else would have either been expelled or at least stiffly punished. Hell, they suspend people for bringing nail files to school and accuse little 5 year old boys of 'sexual harrassment' for hugging a classmate.

At least charges will be filed, there was no excuse for no action to be taken within the school district.

If that's what kept them from acting, then they're idiots, because anyone watching the video would know that this is a pretty clear-cut case. I suspect that there's more going on than we know though.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions about that being the reason ... there could be other stuff going on (maybe the kid is the best basketball player in the county, maybe his parents have some kind of influence, maybe the coach has some say, maybe there were some other incidents in an ongoing rivalry that the school district has already let slide, or maybe it was just caught up in bureaucracy somewhere). We shouldn't assume we know what's going on here without getting the whole story...

...That all said, I saw the kid being interviewed on TV yesterday, and the reporter asked, "Do you have any lingering effects from the attack?" And the kid just said no and that he was 100% back to normal ... I could see his dad next to him making a face like, "well there goes our law suit."

If that's what kept them from acting, then they're idiots, because anyone watching the video would know that this is a pretty clear-cut case. I suspect that there's more going on than we know though.

I know I'm jumping to a couple of conclusions, I even give the idiot the benefit of the doubt on what his motivations were, it could be he just went nuts.

It's just convenient that this and the little kid (a couple of years ahead of the curve) in junior high that was beaten on the bus were of a different background than their attackers.

Maybe it's because when I was younger and looked more 'white' (look more 'hispanic' now? who knows) I had things happen to me in certain situations and saw it happen to other people in Philly all the time. Sorry, after awhile you kind of know the Korean grocer was shot in the face PARTLY because he wasn't black. Or that you're being picked on because of what you look like by bigger kids who have no idea (not that it should matter) that you share some of their background.

Call it being a realist. :(

I know I'm jumping to a couple of conclusions, I even give the idiot the benefit of the doubt on what his motivations were, it could be he just went nuts.

It's just convenient that this and the little kid (a couple of years ahead of the curve) in junior high that was beaten on the bus were of a different background than their attackers.

I don't think it's crazy to think that ... I've been around my share of racial taunts, and the basketball court is definitely a place where a lot those kinds of things are said.

I would be willing to believe that race played some factor in the attack, but I would be less inclined to believe that race played any factor in the kid not receiving a harsh punishment ... If there was some racial trash-talking going on, it could even lead to a hate crime sentence enhancement.

However, I'd like to point out the fallacy in this statement:

Has the Justice Department looked into this being a racially motivated hate crime?
Unless the basketball teams are crossing state lines, the Justice Department doesn't have any right to pursue this case. For that reason, the federal government only prosecutes maybe 10 hate crimes a year. Kansas has its own hate crime law and this is something that will be pursued at that level.

Archived