Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Williams: Holdman has Edge at WLB

CPstretch

Yea, me too! If Holdman wins the starting job and slacks off again, I say we all lench the ****. :D

If he does win the job, hopefully he's more comfortable with the D this year. And he won't make as many mistakes. I still want to see Rocky on the field over Holdman.

"He did about three or four things last week that was the best of any linebacker I've had since I've been here. Hopefully the game is slowing down for him right now."

Wow, thats a hell of a praise, especially since he has had talent like LaVar, Marcus, and Antonio.

Greg Williams likes Holdman because of his experience and versatility; I think it was Williams who wanted to bring him in in the first place. Also consider the facts that Holdman has played in this system, Williams does not like to start rookies, Holdman has 8 years NFL experience (including excellent seasons in '01 and '04), and Rocky has never played an NFL game. I can see why Holdman has the "edge" at this point.

Greg Williams likes Holdman because of his experience and versatility; I think it was Williams who wanted to bring him in in the first place. Also consider the facts that Holdman has played in this system, Williams does not like to start rookies, Holdman has 8 years NFL experience (including excellent seasons in '01 and '04), and Rocky has never played an NFL game. I can see why Holdman has the "edge" at this point.

The only thing Holdman is versatile at is his many ways of being mediocre. I don't get what Williams sees in this guy. Even Scouts.com has him as our lowest rated defensive player and if anyone saw the sorry job he did against Tiki Barber I think they would agree.

This reminds me a lot of last offseason when Gibbs praised Brunell in camp after a horrible season for him. Is Scouts.com coaching Holdman out there and seeing what he does this mini camp? Or is it Gregg Williams?

Actually, when was the last time scouts.com coached any sort of NFL practice or camp?

Williams didn't start Carlos until late in the season last year...where's the news here?

Rookies are rookies...they rarely step in and make an impact in their first year....that's why Dallas is going to suffer this year.

Yea, me too! If Holdman wins the starting job and slacks off again, I say we all lench the ****. :D

If by lench you meant lynch, then that was a very ignorant thing to say. If you don't get my point, then you don't understand the connotations that go along with the denotation.

Back to the topic. While I'd like to see the more athletic Rocky win the starting role, whoever performs the best needs to be out there. No point in having a guy who can get to the ball in half a second flat if it takes him 5 seconds to recognize where it's going.

eh...no need to overreact. rocky will get his shot in time. if holdman is in there its for a reason. trust williams.

I do trust Williams, I'm more disappointed in the fact that Clemons and Rocky haven't shown enough to warrant starter talk... especially Clemons.

:doh: :doh:

Rocky must not be close. I was hoping that Clemons would have the edge over Holdman, though.

Rocky is out b/c of a minor surgery, of course a starter would be ahead of a rookie after a mini-camp. I like that G.W. is letting us know what he thinks b/c now we won't be as disappointed when Holdman wins the starting job. I just hope Holdman doesn't start on 3rd downs :D

The only thing Holdman is versatile at is his many ways of being mediocre. I don't get what Williams sees in this guy. Even Scouts.com has him as our lowest rated defensive player and if anyone saw the sorry job he did against Tiki Barber I think they would agree.

I agree with this whole post, great job!

Personally, I'm thrilled Holdman has the edge. Nothing against Clemons or Rocky. Quite the contrary.

What it does mean is that all things being equal, experience will win out. Rocky should and will have more time to get fully acclimated and Clemons will be forced to crank it up another notch if he wants it.

Holdman was considered a star on the rise a few years back in Chicago. He was fitter then and knew the defense cold.

Fast forward to today. He's much fitter than he obviously was last year and he should know the defense at least twice as well. He could be very solid for us.

If Blache and Williams like him enough to keep him around and offer kudos when earned then that's tits. I'm rootin for the guy! Because all the guys behind him carry bigger question marks than Holdman does.

:helmet:

I'd bet just under my life's savings that Rocky will be playing 70% of snaps by week 2, if not week 1. I've been reading between the lines, and thats how I'm feeling.

Things like GW saying that Rocky slipped back because he missed 3 days of minicamp, but Rocky did things that no other LB he's had on the team before had ever done.

Plus Clemons seems to have resigned himself as a strongside passrusher, he said he didn't consider himself part of the WLB equation stating "Rocky and Warrick got that all locked up"

GW did bring Chris' name up, but a lot of that stuff is motivation. The coaches did harp on Holdman's bad conditioning a lot last season- but it is hard to stay in shape when you are coming off a season and a half sitting around because of a shredded knee.

If Rocky is the best in Preseason, he starts week 1, guaranteed. Carlos would have started week 1 also last year except for that hairline fracture had him out of shape and practice.:2cents:

I've been so tied up with Little League that I haven't been on here in a month. I come back and read a thread title like this and my stomach gets queasy. Can we really have Super Bowl aspirations with Holdman at the weakside. I miss Lavar.

Looky here see... Lavars gone see.... and he aint coming back see and you better get use to it see... so move on already see... kid your better off without him see...lol

Archived