Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Williams: Holdman has Edge at WLB

CPstretch

I've been so tied up with Little League that I haven't been on here in a month. I come back and read a thread title like this and my stomach gets queasy. Can we really have Super Bowl aspirations with Holdman at the weakside. I miss Lavar.

:rubeyes: :puke: :doh: :twitch: :kickcan:

I don't know what I was missing in Lavar the last 2 years that you see, he was a fat ungrateful LB who couldn't properly rehab his knee and had at least one horrific offsides penalty a game. :whoknows:

I don't know how anyone is surprised by this. GW always seems to prefer experience over potential. There is no way he would have a rookie at the top of the depth chart after a couple of OTAs and a mini camp, even if Rocky could have participated this weekend. That being said, I do feel Rocky will take control of the position pretty quickly seeing as how he is drawing high praise from GW.

I don't know how anyone is surprised by this. GW always seems to prefer experience over potential. There is no way he would have a rookie at the top of the depth chart after a couple of OTAs and a mini camp, even if Rocky could have participated this weekend. That being said, I do feel Rocky will take control of the position pretty quickly seeing as how he is drawing high praise from GW.

Very well said.:point2sky

Personally, I feel Holdman is a serious liability in run support. I hold my breath when the play goes that way & Holdman is out there. He surrendered BIG plays down that sideline, not all his fault but still... Not unlike watching Jimoh in single coverage anywhere around the endzone, YIKES!

The lber postion battle on the Weakside will be decided in preseason. I expect the staff to start the guy that has the least amount of mistakes and can play within the system. I see Rocky making an imediate impact in the preseason. If he can limit his mistakes and stay within the system he should win it. He has some competition in front of him w/ Holdman, I just can't see our 1st pick in this years draft NOT PLAYING(barring any injuries), he will be eased into the lineup just like S.T. and Rogers were the past 2 seasons, and if he does what most guys from the U do for us, he should be a GOOD/GREAT player.

I can't wait to see these young guys fight it out in the preseason!

I've been so tied up with Little League that I haven't been on here in a month. I come back and read a thread title like this and my stomach gets queasy. Can we really have Super Bowl aspirations with Holdman at the weakside. I miss Lavar.

Yeah, because those SB aspirations were so fulfilled with Lavar in the lineup.

This time last year there were "Why don't we just cut Brunell" threads all over the place as well as "Philip Daniels is done" threads. The fact that we were 5-2 last year with Holdman starting should tell you something. Holdman did not play well last year but that doesn't mean he can't play well this year especially if he is being used in a rotation with McIntosh and Clemens.

Yeah, because those SB aspirations were so fulfilled with Lavar in the lineup.

The statement was meant to be interpretted as "Holdman isn't that good." I won't get into a Lavar peeing match with you, but my Super Bowl aspirations would be a lot higher with Lavar at weakside than Holdman on the roster.

The statement was meant to be interpretted as "Holdman isn't that good." I won't get into a Lavar peeing match with you, but my Super Bowl aspirations would be a lot higher with Lavar at weakside than Holdman on the roster.

And if you notice my second paragraph addressed that. Not every player on the field needs to be a superstar. If Holdman doesn't play any better than he did last year he won't be on the field long. We've got a rookie that the coaching staff seems to be pretty high on. So one of two things will happen. Holdman plays poorly and McIntosh or Clemens see increased time or Holdman plays well and the coaching staff is able to work McIntosh in slowly.

The major point I was making however is that just because a player plays poorly one year doesn't mean he will automatically play poorly the next. Mark Brunell was even worse in 2004 than Holdman was last year. That worked out okay. Same goes for Phillip Daniels. While I wouldn't say that Clinton Portis was bad in 2004, he was much better last year in his 2nd year in the system.

Everyone is overreacting to this. Its friggin mini-camp. Williams is trying to get some good competition for the Weakside linebacker spot. One day he'll say Holdman is doing well, the next he's going to say Rocky is progressing well, maybe he rips into McCune one week. Its called coaching. Lets not all get our panties in a wad over everything coach Williams says. The best player will start come September. I think we all have faith in our coaching staff to get the best players on the field.

Archived