Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bryan81

Like many others who have responded, I never saw Kilmer play, but when I lived in DC people spoke very highly of him. Doug Williams won the Super Bowl & wore that number, but really only had a couple of great seasons. As for Campbell if he ends up being as good as Gibbs thinks he will he will probably surplant them both, but for now I have to say when I think of 17 in a Redskins jersey Doug Williams is the first that comes to mind.

i would have too say billy kilmer, i will always remember the qb tandam of billy and sonny, even though i always liked sonny more, i still had the greatest appreciation for billy and his grit.

doug williams had a great quarter for the skins, but he spent too many years as a tampa qb for me too say he was a true redskin.

jc is just going to have too do something before he can subplant kilmer.

Yeah :laugh:

He did win the Super Bowl....but thats all I'll remember about him :D

as a redskin, that is all there is to remember, he was not even the starter when the season began, not sure now, but may have not started the following year, think that's when rypien took over.

Even though I was a Sonny guy #17 will always equate to Billy Kilmer in my mind. Billy was the personification of the George Allen era here. Never pretty but tough as nails and a winner through-and-through.

There was a quote about him during his prime but I don't remember who said "He threw the option pass. You had the option to catch either end."

Even though I was a Sonny guy #17 will always equate to Billy Kilmer in my mind. Billy was the personification of the George Allen era here. Never pretty but tough as nails and a winner through-and-through.

There was a quote about him during his prime but I don't remember who said "He threw the option pass. You had the option to catch either end."

i would have too say billy kilmer, i will always remember the qb tandam of billy and sonny, even though i always liked sonny more, i still had the greatest appreciation for billy and his grit.

doug williams had a great quarter for the skins, but he spent too many years as a tampa qb for me too say he was a true redskin.

jc is just going to have too do something before he can subplant kilmer.

I have to agree with the above 2 quotes. Kilmer was quarterback when I became of age to root for football...and Sonny was something special when he came in at the end of games. Just had to love Kilmer's passes...never pretty but always on target.

As for Doug...sorry Doug, I equate Billy with 17. Doug did win a superbowl though...!!! I agree with burgngold fan, Doug was only with us a short while. If he had been our quarterback longer, I may think of him as #17.

Living in SC, I don't get to see very many games down here, and it is hard to keep up with players numbers. I see lots of postings that refer to only the players numbers, and I am always going..."gimme the name too please, not all of us can keep up with the numbers." Thankfully, I have found this site and it will be so much easier to keep up with all of the latest news...and numbers. I wish I had a close friend in DC that could tape games and send them to me...I hate not being able to see the games anymore. Although my brother and father live in Va, they are cow fans, so they won't tape Skins games for me. Ever since Carolina joined the league, that is my weekly option...that sucks for us Skins fans.

And based on what has been said about Jason and his abilities, it appears that we may have a great quarterback upcoming...Sorry Billy, but 17 may have a new face for me in the future.

I see alot of credibility being put on Doug Williams here. If I am not mistaken, Williams won the Super Bowl during the strike year. The talent was extremely thin. I believe Rypien started that year until the strike took place. Anyone who did not get to watch Kilmer throw the ball and feel your heart stop every time, doesn't quite get it. Those where the guys who caused me to be a fan for life. Those are the guys who knew what it meant to play as a TEAM. It has to be Billy Kilmer or you need to look at some old footage.

There are some players and numbers I associate together instantly, Like #9 and #42.

But even with all the great players we've had with #17, I never associate the 17 with any one player. Perhaps because it has been shared by so many.

:point2sky Doug Williams, the Super Bowl XXII MVP and the first African-American quarterback to start and win a Super Bowl. On the Redskins Super Bowl DVD, I mostly look back at Super Bowl XXII on how the Doug Williams & the Redskins reeled in that 35 point offensive juggernaut (2 TD's by Ricky Sanders, 1 TD by Gary Clark, 1 rushing TD by Timmy Smith, and 1 TD by Clint Didier) in the 2nd Quarter against the Denver Broncos after trailing by 10 in the 1st Quarter. Then Timmy Smith closed the game out with another rushing TD late in the 4th Quarter, making the final score 42-10 over the Broncos.

Always think of Kilmer first. He was the first Skin who I would consider became a childhood "hero" of mine. That is why I always try to honor his name by using it as a avatar name on message boards.

Now when I see Campbell wearing #17, I immediatly think of Williams because he was our only other Black QB. But as for Doug Williams, while I fondly think of the Superbowl when I think of him, I remember him more as a Buccaneer than a Redskin, even with the Superbowl.

Archived