Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bryan81

You know along the same lines, I don't know why, but when ever I see the number 21, I always think of Mike Nelms. And 20 will always be Joe Washington to me.

Yet Joe's number as a Skin was 25...LOL.

That's funny because I think of him as #20 as well which was his number with the Colts I believe. Probably because of that insane Monday night game he had where he accounted for something like 5 touchdowns. I forget the exact circumstances.

That's funny because I think of him as #20 as well which was his number with the Colts I believe. Probably because of that insane Monday night game he had where he accounted for something like 5 touchdowns. I forget the exact circumstances.

Yea it probably is that game. You see it on NFL Films enough to keep 20 in your to this day.

I see alot of credibility being put on Doug Williams here. If I am not mistaken, Williams won the Super Bowl during the strike year. The talent was extremely thin. I believe Rypien started that year until the strike took place. Anyone who did not get to watch Kilmer throw the ball and feel your heart stop every time, doesn't quite get it. Those where the guys who caused me to be a fan for life. Those are the guys who knew what it meant to play as a TEAM. It has to be Billy Kilmer or you need to look at some old footage.

Um....yeah.....ok

:doh:

:secret: (I think the age difference is why a lot of people think Williams....)

Gotta go with Doug Williams....for most of the reasons a lot of other people have already said!

Good argument. I have to conceed to your thoughts on this.

Um....yeah.....ok

:doh:

:secret: (I think the age difference is why a lot of people think Williams....)

Gotta go with Doug Williams....for most of the reasons a lot of other people have already said!

I see alot of credibility being put on Doug Williams here. If I am not mistaken, Williams won the Super Bowl during the strike year. The talent was extremely thin. I believe Rypien started that year until the strike took place. Anyone who did not get to watch Kilmer throw the ball and feel your heart stop every time, doesn't quite get it. Those where the guys who caused me to be a fan for life. Those are the guys who knew what it meant to play as a TEAM. It has to be Billy Kilmer or you need to look at some old footage.

The players had all crossed the picket line by week 7 (weeks 1 and 2 were played with regular players, week 3 was cancelled, and then weeks 4-6 were played with replacement players). Doug Williams was a pro, so if the strike had continued, he would not have been playing...:laugh: :doh:

Oh, and Mark Rypien was not on that team...I believe he was drafted that off season. It was Jay Schroeder who started the season. He got injured, and DW took over for him. I think they went back and forth at least one more time....Schroeder may have even started some playoff games.

The players had all crossed the picket line by week 7 (weeks 1 and 2 were played with regular players, week 3 was cancelled, and then weeks 4-6 were played with replacement players). Doug Williams was a pro, so if the strike had continued, he would not have been playing...:laugh: :doh:

Oh, and Mark Rypien was not on that team...I believe he was drafted that off season. It was Jay Schroeder who started the season. He got injured, and DW took over for him. I think they went back and forth at least one more time....Schroeder may have even started some playoff games.

Nope williams took over the last regular season game when they trailed the vikings by 10 and the skins never loked back beating the vikings at RFK for the NFC championship game a few weeks later Williamsstarted the playoff games and Schroeder who started the year was eventually traded to the raiders for Jim lachey. Who helped abchor the line for another superbowl run

Nope williams took over the last regular season game when they trailed the vikings by 10 and the skins never loked back beating the vikings at RFK for the NFC championship game a few weeks later Williamsstarted the playoff games and Schroeder who started the year was eventually traded to the raiders for Jim lachey. Who helped abchor the line for another superbowl run

Well...I was 8 years old when that happened! :silly: My original point stands, however, that the "lesser talent" argument is invalid.

Ryp actually was on the team but stashed away on IR. He was drafted in 1986 but didn't suit up his first two years earning "The Sweater" nickname by standing on the sideline in his Redskins sweater holding the clipboard.

But as you said, your original point is correct. The talent in the league was exactly the same that year as it was every other year except for 3 strike games.

Archived