Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 25 coaches, Gibbs is #6

robotfire

Belicheck deserves to be ahead of Gibbs. What he has accomplished in the modern day era of free agency is un believable. I would throw in Jimmy Johnson as well since he engineered the Cowboys squad of the early 90's. But Belicheck 3 Superbowls in 4 years. Dont get me wrong Gibbs is up there but should be considered top 6

Why is it harder to win in the Free Agency era? He basically won three times with the same players. Only twice in the Super Bowl era have teams won 3 titles in 4 years and both came in the Free Agency era.

Belicheck deserves to be ahead of Gibbs. What he has accomplished in the modern day era of free agency is un believable. I would throw in Jimmy Johnson as well since he engineered the Cowboys squad of the early 90's. But Belicheck 3 Superbowls in 4 years. Dont get me wrong Gibbs is up there but should be considered top 6

Have you lost your mind? BB and JJ are/were great coaches, but their players won the Super Bowl. How can you tell? Because once the players left the teams stopped winning. When Gibbs's players leave, he finds new ones. The mid-'90's Cowboys and the early '00's Patriots were amazing teams, but not anymore. The Patriots won't do crap this year. Playoffs will be amazing for them.

Gibbs, on the other hand, is on his fourth winning quarterback with his fifth in the wings, his fourth running back, and hell, literally 53 new players, and he's STILL going to win a fourth ring. THAT is the sign of a good coach, NOT winning multiple times with the same team.

And what's this crap about winning three out of four in the Salary Cap era being amazing? The only teams to do it were the teams you mentioned, and they did it in the Salary Cap era. What the hell are you thinking?

This is a list from EA sports for some video game. Belicheck and Parcells have some sort of Use of name rights, so they most likely won't be in the top 5. Or else EA sports would have to pay them. So the rest of the list should look like this...........

1. Shula

2. Landry

3. Noll

4. Paul Brown

5. George Halas

Personally I think that whole list is whacked, not to have Lombardi in the top 5 is ridiculous.

Here's my top 10

1. Lombardi

2. Landry

3. Shula

4. Walsh

5. Paul Brown

6. Parcells

7. Knoll

8. Gibbs

9. Belicheck

10. Schottenheimer

IMO:

5. Gibbs

4. Shula

3. Landry

2. Noll

1. Lombardi

top 15 Parcells

This is a list from EA sports for some video game. Belicheck and Parcells have some sort of Use of name rights, so they most likely won't be in the top 5. Or else EA sports would have to pay them. So the rest of the list should look like this...........

1. Shula

2. Landry

3. Noll

4. Paul Brown

5. George Halas

Personally I think that whole list is whacked, not to have Lombardi in the top 5 is ridiculous.

Here's my top 10

1. Lombardi

2. Landry

3. Shula

4. Walsh

5. Paul Brown

6. Parcells

7. Knoll

8. Gibbs

9. Belicheck

10. Schottenheimer

Where the hell did you get that from? Just because you yell at your players a lot doesn't make you a good motivator. Gibbs's players would die for him, and he's the king of the timeout-, quarter-, and halftime-changes. If Gibbs couldn't motivate better than anyone else, only Lombardi is on his level, then those three rings wouldn't be on his fingers.

Where did you get that? I suppose you've been in both locker rooms.

Aren't they in the game as Dallas coach and Patriots Coach, or something like that? I wouldn't be surprised if their listed like that.

Where did you get that? I suppose you've been in both locker rooms.

I don't know, maybe player interviews, coach interviews, journalist interviews, you know, from the people who have been in the locker room? From the results on the field? From watching and hearing Gibbs talk to players on the sidelines during games (They don't go to the locker room during the quarter breaks and two-minute breaks)?

What about you? What's your basis for your assinine comment about Parcells being a better motivator?

I've seen Parcells ranked ahead of Gibbs in a few different lists including ESPN's which was a televised version. Maybe it's his record against Gibbs or turning around 4 different franchises. Just pointing out that it's not so far fetched.

I see where you're going, and it's a good line of logic, but no. Gibbs is ahead of Parcells, period. Your points are valid, but, there's no way in hell that Parcells can be viewed as a better coach than Gibbs.

Aren't they in the game as Dallas coach and Patriots Coach, or something like that? I wouldn't be surprised if their listed like that.

I'm not sure how it works, but there is definetely something about who can use thier names, and for what. I don't know the specifics.

I've seen Parcells ranked ahead of Gibbs in a few different lists including ESPN's which was a televised version. Maybe it's his record against Gibbs or turning around 4 different franchises. Just pointing out that it's not so far fetched.

I agree. I'm not taking away anything from Gibbs, he's in my top 10, and when you think about how difficult it is to be in the top 10 of a list like that, well its impressive to say the least.

But I rank Parcells very high, and I would have even had he never stepped foot in Texas.

People like to tout career wins vs losses, years in the playoffs, superbowl trophies, and thats all great. But what Parcells has done to turn around absolute laughing stocks of the league to powerhouses, in my eyes trumps all that other stuff.

I agree. I'm not taking away anything from Gibbs, he's in my top 10, and when you think about how difficult it is to be in the top 10 of a list like that, well its impressive to say the least.

But I rank Parcells very high, and I would have even had he never stepped foot in Texas.

People like to tout career wins vs losses, years in the playoffs, superbowl trophies, and thats all great. But what Parcells has done to turn around absolute laughing stocks of the league to powerhouses, in my eyes trumps all that other stuff.

I think that turning around teams is great, but it certainly doesn't outweigh records, playoffs, Lombardis, drafting/free agency ability, longevity, ingenuity, and the list goes on.

Parcells is a great coach, but he's just not at the level of Walsh, Knoll, Lombardi, Gibbs, and so on.

I see where you're going, and it's a good line of logic, but no. Gibbs is ahead of Parcells, period. Your points are valid, but, there's no way in hell that Parcells can be viewed as a better coach than Gibbs.

New Cliche if you read my wording you'll understand that I left my personal opinion aside simply to introduce the fact that many sportswriters and insiders disagree with you. I just don't understand how you can't even entertain let alone respect the idea that some may view Parcells ahead of Gibbs.

New Cliche if you read my wording you'll understand that I left my personal opinion aside simply to introduce the fact that many sportswriters and insiders disagree with you. I just don't understand how you can't even entertain let alone respect the idea that some may view Parcells ahead of Gibbs.

I know, I know, you're right, I wasn't giving it a real, hard look.. I just really can't see the reasoning for putting Parcells above Gibbs. If they had the same records, Lombardis, and other stats, then yeah, I'd give Parcells the nod for somewhat turning around four teams. But really, how can you think about it for more than thirty seconds and really say that Parcells is better when there's such a vast chasm between them?

http://sports.ign.com/articles/712/712649p1.html

This is a countdown of the best coaches in the history of the league. Although I think Gibbs is #1, #6 isn't a bad spot.

Clint

Considering that Gibbs is the 3rd winningest coach in NFL history (behind Vince Lombardi & George Allen...interesting how the top 3 winningest coaches of ALL-time ALL coached the Redskins at point or another!), I'd be interested in how they figured he was 6th.

Then again, I could really care less what anyone else thinks about him. I know where he stands with the Redskins Nation! :1stplace:

Well, Gibbs has more trophies, for one. That should be the nail in the coffin right there. I understand homeristic POV, but gimme a break. Parcells ahead of Gibbs? In what, weight? Certainly not coaching.

That makes sense. George Halas and Paul Brown appear to be missing from the list.

Who would the 5th missing coach be?

I haven't seen this guy mentioned:Wilbur Charles Ewbank aka Weeb Ewbank. . .Only coach to win world championships in both NFL, AFL. . .His 1958, 1959 Colts won NFL crowns, 1968 Jets AFL, Super Bowl III titles. . .Took first pro head coach job at age of 47. . . Led both Colts, Jets to championships with patient, effective building programs paced by brilliant quarterbacks. . .Possessed great ability to judge, handle young talent. . .Coached 130 career wins. . . Born May 6, 1907, in Richmond, Indiana. . .Died November 17, 1998, at age of 91.

Well, Gibbs has more trophies, for one. That should be the nail in the coffin right there. I understand homeristic POV, but gimme a break. Parcells ahead of Gibbs? In what, weight? Certainly not coaching.

Well using that logic we'd have to determine that Dallas is simply a better franchise than wash. Or that Trent Dilfer is better than Marino? All that I'm saying is that many people in the sports world disagree with you.

Well using that logic we'd have to determine that Dallas is simply a better franchise than wash. Or that Trent Dilfer is better than Marino? All that I'm saying is that many people in the sports world disagree with you.

You must not read a lot of my posts. I could give 2 :pooh: :pooh: what "many people in the sports world" think. Most people in the sports world have a tendency to be very biased towards Dallas, so, I kinda would expect them to disagree with me.

What matters to me is that most of the people on THIS site WOULD agree with me about this.

This by far is the stupidest list I've ever seen in my life. First of all to not have Vince Lombardi number one on any NFL coaching list is absurd! He only one five NFL championships. Joe Gibbs deserves a much higher ranking based solely on the fact that he won three Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks. No one else on the list can say that!!!!!!

Archived