Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest Coach of all time

rdskn4eva

People don't say it is overrated. Cowboy fans do and WOU in particular in his desperate attempt to keep swinging from Fattie Mantitties ballsack. If Parcells had done it with 4 it would be the most important factor for coaches in the history of football. Knowledgable football fans with no agenda are impressed as hell with it.

Nice job putting words in my mouth. Too bad its not true. But whatever helps you sleep at night.

In your desperate attempt to make me look foolish, you put words in my mouth, or assume I would say something that I never would. Good job.

Add Championships to your scheme. They should be less than Superbowls because of the size of the league at the time (ie. easier to win an NFL championship with 16 teams than a Superbowl with 32) but they still need to be counted....

Nice job putting words in my mouth. Too bad its not true. But whatever helps you sleep at night.

In your desperate attempt to make me look foolish, you put words in my mouth, or assume I would say something that I never would. Good job.

Ummmm, what words did I put in your mouth? You said it. It's right there in print. I don't need to make you look foolish. You have it down to a science.

Gibbs is a good coach, but don't you think that 3 sb wins with 3 qb's is a tad overrated? If thats the case, I'm saying Billick is the greatest coach to ever walk the earth. He won a sb with dilfer. That most certainly trumps anything else

I'm not arguing that Gibbs is the best coach ever. I don't think that's something you can quantify.

However, this notion that winning 3 superbowls with 3 different QBs isn't a big deal needs to be addressed.

Since 1965, here are the coaches that have won multiple superbowls, and how many starting QBs they won them with:

Noll: 4 SBs, 1 QB*

Belicheck: 3 SBs, 1 QB

Walsh: 3 SBs, 1 QB

Shanahan: 2 SBs, 1 QB

Johnson: 2 SBs, 1 QB

Lombardi: 2 SBs, 1 QB

Landry: 2 SBs, 1 QB

Flores: 2 SBs, 1 QB

Shula: 2 SBs, 1 QB*

Parcells: 2 SBs, 1 QB*

Seifert: 2 SBs, 2 QBs

Gibbs: 3 SBs, 3 QBs*

Now then, it is fair to note that some of these coaches (noted by a *) lost their starter during one of their SB runs and still won it. I think we all can agree there is a difference between having a consistant offensive system designed for one QB and having to re-tool your offense to win with a completely different Day One starter. Regardless, Gibbs is also on that list.

Also, it should be noted that 8 of these 12 coaches had a Hall of Famer under center during their SB runs. Only Gibbs, Parcells, Belichek and Flores didn't, and I suspect Belichek will fall off this list eventually.

So yeah, winning superbowls with different starting QBs is extremely rare and kind of a big deal.

Ummmm, what words did I put in your mouth? You said it. It's right there in print. I don't need to make you look foolish. You have it down to a science.

People don't say it is overrated. Cowboy fans do and WOU in particular in his desperate attempt to keep swinging from Fattie Mantitties ballsack. If Parcells had done it with 4 it would be the most important factor for coaches in the history of football. Knowledgable football fans with no agenda are impressed as hell with it..

Right there. You said that WOU in particular would say ....................

Again............In your desperate attempt to make me look foolish, you assume I would say 3sb wins with 3qbs is very important if Parcells did it.

You appear to be reaching. If I were you, I would abstain from assuming what people will say in regards to specific topics, until they've actually said it.. Again, it can only make you look foolish, and I wouldn't want that.

Right there. You said that WOU in particular would say ....................

Again............In your desperate attempt to make me look foolish, you assume I would say 3sb wins with 3qbs is very important if Parcells did it.

You appear to be reaching. If I were you, I would abstain from assuming what people will say in regards to specific topics, until they've actually said it.. Again, it can only make you look foolish, and I wouldn't want that.

Okay you got me. You never actually said that. Pardon the hyperbole. But you have said that Parcells ability to turn around 4 franchises (even though he only won a SB with one) is more impressive than winning 3 SBs with 3 QB and 3 RBs when it clearly is not.

It should be noted that the only other coach to win SBs with multiple QBs did it with 2 first ballot Hall of Famers in Joe Montana and Steve Young.

Yes. I did sorta note that. However, I don't think anyone would ever attempt to compare Theismann/Schroeder/Williams/Rypien to Montana/Young.

Factor in the Second Era of both Seifert and Gibbs and it's no comparison.

Yes. I did sorta note that. However, I don't think anyone would ever attempt to compare Theismann/Schroeder/Williams/Rypien to Montana/Young.

Factor in the Second Era of both Seifert and Gibbs and it's no comparison.

Yeah, I was just expanding on your excellent post. :applause:

Another note is that Gibbs also made it to the NFC Championship game with 4 different QBs.

FYI:

Tom Landry had 20 straight seasons with a winning record and was in the playoffs 17 of those seasons. Think about it 20 straight seasons with more wins then losses!

Gibbs gets my respect as one of the all time greats and most definitely gets the nod over current Cowboy coach (Parcells) but 20 straight seasons with a winning record......Gibbs never had a stretch longer then 6 seasons with a winning record.

I said a "tad" overrated. Gibbs had great talent, especially on the O-lines. Always had very good defenses too. Winning 3 superbowls is not easy, it is a great accomplishment, and I wouldn't take anything away from it. I just think the fact that it was with 3 different qb's is overhyped by many of you.

I don't get the reasoning for "overhyped". no one else has ever done it and quite frankly you have to look at the QB position as the most important postition on the football team for leadership and stability. for him to motivate and rally different teams around different QB's is great. I'm not saying Gibbs is #1 on this list, but I think he should be top 5 or 10.

Three different QB's- Theismann was a scrambler, Williams was a pocket passer with a rifle arm and Rypien was a pocket passer who went on to be nothing but a journeyman.

Dont forget that altho the redskins Oline was Great, there was still a lot of interchangability with that line. It wasnt like the same 5 guys line up every year. There was always the core pf Grimm, Bostic and Jacoby, but there was May, Lachey, Mckenzie ect. I dont think there has EVER been a coach that has had to change his offensive systems over the years more than Joe Gibbs. And he still won 3 super bowls to boot.

We really don't have to try that hard to make you look foolish - you're quite capable of that on your own.

:dallasuck

Me and my friend (a cowgirls fan) is making a chart to determin the greatest coach of all time. I need help with adding some catorgories. This is a point based system. This is what I have so far:

Coach Log

Super Bowl Win=5

Super Bowl Loss=3

Back to Back Super Bowl wins=8

Back to Back Super Bowl App=4

Confernce Champ=2/ COY=1

Conf Champ App=1

Playoff Win=1

Playoff App=1

Losing Season=- Winning Season=+

6*10=.5/ 10*6=.5

5*11=1/ 11*5=1

4*12=1.5 / 12*4=1.5

3*13=2/ 13*3=2

2*14=2.5 / 14*2=2.5

1*15=3/ 15*1=3

0*15=5/ 16*0=4

Losing Streaks=- Winning Streaks=+

3=.5/ 3=.5

4=1/ 4=1

5=1.5/ 5=1.5

6=2/ 6=2

7=2.5/ 7=2.5

8=3/ 8=3

9=3.5/ 9=3.5

10=4/ 10=4

11=4.5/ 11=4.5

12=5/ 12=5

13=5.5/ 13=5.5

14=6/ 14=6

15=6.5/ 15=6.5

16=7/ 16=7

Is there a course on the internet I can take for this?

FYI:

Tom Landry had 20 straight seasons with a winning record and was in the playoffs 17 of those seasons. Think about it 20 straight seasons with more wins then losses!

Gibbs gets my respect as one of the all time greats and most definitely gets the nod over current Cowboy coach (Parcells) but 20 straight seasons with a winning record......Gibbs never had a stretch longer then 6 seasons with a winning record.

For sure, Landry gets mentioned with the best. He won two Super Bowls in those 20 years and seems to have been a man of great integrity despite much of his team being a bunch of drug monkeys and jailbirds. Teaming with Tom Brandt, who got you guys some tremendous talent in those days, and Tex Schramm, who never met an opportunity to play hardball he didn't like, and Dallas had a great front office in those days.

However, when he got Danny White to replace Roger Staubach at QB, how many Super Bowls did he win? He lost three NFC championship games in which Dallas was favored to win. Was Danny White a worse QB than Rypien, Williams/Thiesman?

As for that douche Parcells, it is a media perpetuated myth that he has turned around 4 teams. If you look at his seasons, they Do get much better his first season with a new team. But then, not so much. A lot of Marty Schottenheimer-like 7-9/9-7 seasons in there. Better that 2-14? Of course. But since that doesn't get you in the payoffs, who cares?

For sure, Landry gets mentioned with the best. He won two Super Bowls in those 20 years and seems to have been a man of great integrity despite much of his team being a bunch of drug monkeys and jailbirds. Teaming with Tom Brandt, who got you guys some tremendous talent in those days, and Tex Schramm, who never met an opportunity to play hardball he didn't like, and Dallas had a great front office in those days.

However, when he got Danny White to replace Roger Staubach at QB, how many Super Bowls did he win? He lost three NFC championship games in which Dallas was favored to win. Was Danny White a worse QB than Rypien, Williams/Thiesman?

As for that douche Parcells, it is a media perpetuated myth that he has turned around 4 teams. If you look at his seasons, they Do get much better his first season with a new team. But then, not so much. A lot of Marty Schottenheimer-like 7-9/9-7 seasons in there. Better that 2-14? Of course. But since that doesn't get you in the payoffs, who cares?

Well said.

What a joke, Dallas wasnt favored in any of those NFC Title games........

I cant argue with morons! its a waste of my time!

GIL Brandt was a great talent evaluator........but whats your point.

This really doesn't tell the true story. Howabout being able to win 3 superbowls with 3 different quarterbacks in the toughest division in football. Walsh will end up near or at the top of the list, but San Francisco was in a weak division and he probably wouldn't have been coach of the decade if he was in the East.

Coaches like Walsh and Parcells were lucky to have the same quarterback for so many years. Parcells really hasn't done much without Belichick as his defensive coordinator either.

It is very difficult to rank coaches because of all of the variables that go into rankings. That is why there are so many different opinions.

I said a "tad" overrated. Gibbs had great talent, especially on the O-lines. Always had very good defenses too. Winning 3 superbowls is not easy, it is a great accomplishment, and I wouldn't take anything away from it. I just think the fact that it was with 3 different qb's is overhyped by many of you.

So, who you got? You've done nothing but knock down Gibbs, so who do you think is GOAT?

I don't see why back to back SB wins would count as more than a single SB win, and no way its worth 16 points total. That would give Gibbs 15 points for 3 SB wins with a bunch of average Joe's on the team in a very tough division while Jimmy Johnson gets 18 his 2 wins while playing in a weak division and being almost guaranteed wins in the playoffs with all the great 80's coaches Gibbs, Parcells, Walsh, Ditka, etc gone from coaching. I actually think that instead of getting points for back to back Super Bowls, coaches should get points taken away for not making the playoffs following SB wins. Especially if their division is one of the weaker divisions like the 9ers division always was.

I don't think you can accurately rank coaches because of things like this. Gibbs won tough divisions and won 3 of 4 Super Bowls coming from the NFC East. He would have easily made 11 playoff appearances in 12 tries if the Redskins instead of the 49ers had the weak division at the time. But 2-3 times his 10-6 teams missed the playoffs while the 49ers actually got in once at 10-6 and won the Super Bowl because no other team in their division was good enough to take their spot.

So I think another factor should be # of wins of divisional opponents each year that your team made the playoffs and there are probably several other factors that make ranking coaches impossible.

But my vote is probably:

1. Lombardi

2. Gibbs

3-10 Everybody Else

I completely agree with your votes.

Archived