Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greatest Coach of all time

rdskn4eva

Me and my friend (a cowgirls fan) is making a chart to determin the greatest coach of all time. I need help with adding some catorgories. This is a point based system. This is what I have so far:

Coach Log

Super Bowl Win=5

Super Bowl Loss=3

Back to Back Super Bowl wins=8

Back to Back Super Bowl App=4

Confernce Champ=2/ COY=1

Conf Champ App=1

Playoff Win=1

Playoff App=1

Losing Season=- Winning Season=+

6*10=.5/ 10*6=.5

5*11=1/ 11*5=1

4*12=1.5 / 12*4=1.5

3*13=2/ 13*3=2

2*14=2.5 / 14*2=2.5

1*15=3/ 15*1=3

0*15=5/ 16*0=4

Losing Streaks=- Winning Streaks=+

3=.5/ 3=.5

4=1/ 4=1

5=1.5/ 5=1.5

6=2/ 6=2

7=2.5/ 7=2.5

8=3/ 8=3

9=3.5/ 9=3.5

10=4/ 10=4

11=4.5/ 11=4.5

12=5/ 12=5

13=5.5/ 13=5.5

14=6/ 14=6

15=6.5/ 15=6.5

16=7/ 16=7

tell this lunatic... it will be gibbs after 4 qbs and 4 rbs and superbowls wins in 3 straight decades.

Off course its Gibbs. But we need somthing to pass the time. And this is a great way to rank the coaches using a point system.

Now that we have the scoring system down, who's the winner?

We havent started yet. We will debate it this weekend. Im having a get together for the fight saturday so we will debate it then. But I think I need more catagories. Any ideas?

I would raise that Superbowl Win to at least a 10, decrease the points given for back-back wins/appearances, maybe even eliminate it since I don't really think it matters in the grand scheme of things (I actually think it shows greater coaching ability to alternate winning years...I mean how many times have you seen teams win in one year, miss it the second, and then win it in the third or fourth? It's rare).

Also, the points you attribute to the regular season seem too high.

Now that we have the scoring system down, who's the winner?

Since the question is who is the greatest all-time, you must include ALL NFL championships

Lombardi had 5 of those, including 3 in a row. In 10 yrs as a head coach, he NEVER had a losing season and only missed the playoffs 2. He won over 70% of his regular season games and over 83% of his playoff games.

tell this lunatic... it will be gibbs after 4 qbs and 4 rbs and superbowls wins in 3 straight decades.

Puh-lease. Under that scoring system, Landry, Knoll, would probably be on top.

Gibbs is a good coach, but don't you think that 3 sb wins with 3 qb's is a tad overrated? If thats the case, I'm saying Billick is the greatest coach to ever walk the earth. He won a sb with dilfer. That most certainly trumps anything else

I don't see why back to back SB wins would count as more than a single SB win, and no way its worth 16 points total. That would give Gibbs 15 points for 3 SB wins with a bunch of average Joe's on the team in a very tough division while Jimmy Johnson gets 18 his 2 wins while playing in a weak division and being almost guaranteed wins in the playoffs with all the great 80's coaches Gibbs, Parcells, Walsh, Ditka, etc gone from coaching. I actually think that instead of getting points for back to back Super Bowls, coaches should get points taken away for not making the playoffs following SB wins. Especially if their division is one of the weaker divisions like the 9ers division always was.

I don't think you can accurately rank coaches because of things like this. Gibbs won tough divisions and won 3 of 4 Super Bowls coming from the NFC East. He would have easily made 11 playoff appearances in 12 tries if the Redskins instead of the 49ers had the weak division at the time. But 2-3 times his 10-6 teams missed the playoffs while the 49ers actually got in once at 10-6 and won the Super Bowl because no other team in their division was good enough to take their spot.

So I think another factor should be # of wins of divisional opponents each year that your team made the playoffs and there are probably several other factors that make ranking coaches impossible.

But my vote is probably:

1. Lombardi

2. Gibbs

3-10 Everybody Else

Puh-lease. Under that scoring system, Landry, Knoll, would probably be on top.

Gibbs is a good coach, but don't you think that 3 sb wins with 3 qb's is a tad overrated? If thats the case, I'm saying Billick is the greatest coach to ever walk the earth. He won a sb with dilfer. That most certainly trumps anything else

Why do people say this is overrated. If it is, how come no one else has done it? If he had won with say, Marino, Montana and Elway then yeah, Id say it was overrated. But he won with 2 Journeyman Quarterbacks (Williams and Rypien) and Joe Theisman, who MIGHT and thats a stretch, make it to the hall of fame someday. Its a hell of an acomplishment. And to call Joe Gibbs a "good" coach is the most idiotic thing Ive ever heard. Thats like saying Landry is overrated with his 20 and 16 playoff record.

Since the question is who is the greatest all-time, you must include ALL NFL championships

Lombardi had 5 of those, including 3 in a row. In 10 yrs as a head coach, he NEVER had a losing season and only missed the playoffs 2. He won over 70% of his regular season games and over 83% of his playoff games.

I agree with D.T. Lombardi IS football. No disrespect to Halas but to me Vince is the greatest of all time and in this day and age it will take a helluva alot more than 4 Super Bowls by one coach to surpass him.

How is it overrated when nobody, let me repeat NOBODY, has ever won that many Super Bowls with different QBs?

Billick's (or should I say Lewis') single Super Bowl win with Dilfer is not the same thing.

What 3 titles with 3 QBs means and why it's remarkable is that usually when a team is a title contender for a period of time, they have a certain amount of stability at key positions, QB being a key one.

Lombardi had Starr

Shula had Griese

Noll had Bradshaw

Landry had Staubach

Walsh had Montana

Johnson had Aikman

Belichick has Brady

Gibbs retooled his teams several times during his first 12 years, he had different runningbacks for each Super Bowl as well. His greatness is in taking what he had and turning them into Champions.

That's why 3 QBs for 3 Super Bowl wins is so impressive.

Why do people say this is overrated.

People don't say it is overrated. Cowboy fans do and WOU in particular in his desperate attempt to keep swinging from Fattie Mantitties ballsack. If Parcells had done it with 4 it would be the most important factor for coaches in the history of football. Knowledgable football fans with no agenda are impressed as hell with it.

Does anyone but me believe that it's not just about Super Bowls and playoff appearances? Yes, they are important but what about the ability to coach, motivate, and build character? How about the ability to turn a franchise around in one or two seasons, or the ability to create a successful team out of average talent? There is so much that goes into being a great head coach and winning championships is only one. Let's face it, record wise you would have to put Jimmy Johnson up there on a final list but even Barry Switzer won a SB with those guys and look what JJ did in Miami. Does he match up with Lombardi or Gibbs? Heck, I'd even put George Allen with his "Over the Hill Gang" at the top. Dick Vermeil has been a winner everywhere he's ever coached. And I personally have a pretty high regard for what Bill Belichick has done up in NE. There are probably others I've forgotten that might not score well on a scoring system that took only championships into account.

I don't let my family mention this mans name in my house.

Yeah we don't speak his name either. My Aunt used to own the Gators sports bar in Gainsville, and she told us when he became the coach that she didn't think it was a good idea.

Oh well, who were we talking about again? :D

People don't say it is overrated. Cowboy fans do and WOU in particular in his desperate attempt to keep swinging from Fattie Mantitties ballsack. If Parcells had done it with 4 it would be the most important factor for coaches in the history of football. Knowledgable football fans with no agenda are impressed as hell with it.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I laugh every time. I know its childish, but still.

FATTIE MANTITTIES!! = Best name ever

:laugh: :laugh: :helmet:

Does anyone but me believe that it's not just about Super Bowls and playoff appearances? Yes, they are important but what about the ability to coach, motivate, and build character? How about the ability to turn a franchise around in one or two seasons, or the ability to create a successful team out of average talent? There is so much that goes into being a great head coach and winning championships is only one.

Exactly. I don't think you can just use stats and wins to answer the question of who is the best. Why do we care so much? 'Best' is a subjective term anyway. If you asked this question on 20 other team boards, I bet you'd get 20 different answers.

Exactly. I don't think you can just use stats and wins to answer the question of who is the best. Why do we care so much? 'Best' is a subjective term anyway. If you asked this question on 20 other team boards, I bet you'd get 20 different answers.

Agreed. No matter what criteria used we have one of the best. Even if he isn't the absolute best I wouldn't trade Gibbs for any coach that has ever walked the face of the planet. He is part of the fabric of the Washington Redskins and always will be.

Why do people say this is overrated. If it is, how come no one else has done it? If he had won with say, Marino, Montana and Elway then yeah, Id say it was overrated. But he won with 2 Journeyman Quarterbacks (Williams and Rypien) and Joe Theisman, who MIGHT and thats a stretch, make it to the hall of fame someday. Its a hell of an acomplishment. And to call Joe Gibbs a "good" coach is the most idiotic thing Ive ever heard. Thats like saying Landry is overrated with his 20 and 16 playoff record.

I said a "tad" overrated. Gibbs had great talent, especially on the O-lines. Always had very good defenses too. Winning 3 superbowls is not easy, it is a great accomplishment, and I wouldn't take anything away from it. I just think the fact that it was with 3 different qb's is overhyped by many of you.

I said a "tad" overrated. Gibbs had great talent, especially on the O-lines. Always had very good defenses too. Winning 3 superbowls is not easy, it is a great accomplishment, and I wouldn't take anything away from it. I just think the fact that it was with 3 different qb's is overhyped by many of you.

Don't forget 3 different RB's, too ;)

Playoff Win=1

Playoff App=1

Cool project to undertake redskn4eva.

I disagree with the above though. (is it a typo maybe?). A playoff win should be 3 points, an appearance (loss?) 1.

Archived