Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which Tampa game mattered more?

robotfire

Which Tampa game would you have rather won?

If we had won the first one, we would have been 11-5 and NFC East division champs.

Winning the second one meant we could brag that we went further than the Giants (the NFC East division champs).

I vote that I'd rather have won the first Tampa game, because historically it sounds better.

Clint

The first one, because we wouldn't have just been division champs, we would have had the 2 seed and a bye from the wild card round and would already have gone past the Giants just by virtue of that.

Also, how sweet would it have been to beat Carolina at Fed Ex the week after they stomped the Giants? I think it would have been quite fun to mention to Giants fans this offseason.

It was clear after the playoffs and NFC Championship game that we were the 2nd best team in the conference.

I understand the logic that IF we had won the 1st Tampa game, theoretically we would have finished 11-5 and won the East. But it is quite possible that we would NOT have finished on the run that we did.

Losing to San Diego to fall to 5-6 put the team and coaches in a position of "Do or Die" for the rest of the season.

It is always better to advance in the playoffs regardless of what seed you are. Yeah, the Giants have the division title, but when we were playing Seattle and they were home watching us, you can bet yo8ur bottom dollar that they wish they were there.

I agree, if we had won that game we would have been the 3/4 (depending on Panthers) seed. Also imagine if Jay Feely had made one of those field goals against Seattle they would have been 12-4, NFC #1 seed and would have had a bye week and played the Redskins in the divisional round of the playoffs in New York.

I was at both and man....the first one really left a bad feeling in my stomach...all i could say the whole way back was god damnit...and the crowd was chanting "ALSTOTT" as we were leaving and all the skins fans would yell "DIDNT GET IN" after they screamed alstott lol

I agree, if we had won that game we would have been the 3/4 (depending on Panthers) seed. Also imagine if Jay Feely had made one of those field goals against Seattle they would have been 12-4, NFC #1 seed and would have had a bye week and played the Redskins in the divisional round of the playoffs in New York.

We would have been 2nd seed because of our 11-1 conference record (had we beaten Tampa...was 10-2 with the loss to Tampa) and had tiebreakers over every other 11-5 team. Plus we beat Chicago head to head as well.

The first one, because we wouldn't have just been division champs, we would have had the 2 seed and a bye from the wild card round and would already have gone past the Giants just by virtue of that.

Also, how sweet would it have been to beat Carolina at Fed Ex the week after they stomped the Giants? I think it would have been quite fun to mention to Giants fans this offseason.

It was clear after the playoffs and NFC Championship game that we were the 2nd best team in the conference.

That says it all.

I don't think we get to game number 2 vs. TB without losing game number 1 to them.

I loved exactly how our season unfolded. Had we not had our backs against the wall, we might have lost a couple down the stretch?

Good point....our regular season was one of extremes for sure. I just hope for this season we continue where we finished in 2005.

3-0 start

2-6 slump

5-0 streak to enter playoffs

I don't think we get to game number 2 vs. TB without losing game number 1 to them.

I loved exactly how our season unfolded. Had we not had our backs against the wall, we might have lost a couple down the stretch?

I agree. After Tampa stole the first one from us, I was glad to face them again in the playoffs. Made the season for me.

Seeing the team fight back for the rest of the season after that first loss was a quinessential Gibbs team.

I agree. After Tampa stole the first one from us, I was glad to face them again in the playoffs. Made the season for me.

Seeing the team fight back for the rest of the season after that first loss was a quinessential Gibbs team.

You make a good point. Winning that game was SUCH sweet revenge. It was redemption for the steal they got away with.

Clint

I would say the second game because a lot of things could have happened differently if we had one the first and we still may have ended up in the wild card game

i had the joy of going into Raymond James and laughing at their crap fans while the skins took home a huge road playoff win... I wouldn't trade it for anything

Our destiny was in our hands in the playoffs and we took home a big win..

I look at 2005 as the 2nd best/most enjoyable/exhillerating season in which we DID NOT win the Super Bowl. 1986 was pretty awesome and we were clearly the 2nd best team in the NFL behind only the Giants who beat us 3 times.

2005 had everything! Last 2nd wins/losses...blow out wins/losses...winning/losing streaks. Not to mention how starved we have all been for a winner.

I look at 2005 as the 2nd best/most enjoyable/exhillerating season in which we DID NOT win the Super Bowl. 1986 was pretty awesome and we were clearly the 2nd best team in the NFL behind only the Giants who beat us 3 times.

2005 had everything! Last 2nd wins/losses...blow out wins/losses...winning/losing streaks. Not to mention how starved we have all been for a winner.

That's an interesting point of view.

I think 2005 is the best non-SB winning season just because of how far away from playoffs we had been for so long.

Runners up for me are: 1986, 1990, and 1992

I guess it could go either way to me. Maybe a win in the first game would have given us momentum, or maybe it wouldnt have given us any urgency. Either way, after losing the first game, which was a terrible thing to witness in person, it felt INCREDIBLE to watch us beat them in the playoffs!

I'd like to hear Pittman4Two's opinion abot this.

Had we won the 1st game, we would have been the #2 seed. However, as someone stated before, if the team wasn't put in the position they were with the "5 in a row or we don't go" deal, we may have never even made the playoffs. So I'd have to say the 2nd game was the most important.

i'd say winning the second game was more important. like everyone else has already said before, who's to say we would have ended all our other games the same way. we have no idea how that game affected the players and the coaches psychologically and a win could have put them in an entirely different mindset, causing us to lose more games.

i'll tell you what, ask that question to steelers fans about their season and i'm sure they'd take being the 6th seed over being the 1st or 2nd seed any day of the week. once you get to the playoffs, anything can happen.

The playoff win. Look, even IF everything went as it did following the TB game, even IF we go on to win the division and get a 2 seed, which is a monumental IF, then we would still end up playing Seattle at Seattle, presuming we won our first playoff game.

The post-season win is more important simply for that reason - it was a post-season win. Not only did it advance us in the playoffs, but it gave all the players on the team who are returning this year experience in the playoffs, and experience WINNING a playoff game. It's much easier to win in the post-season with guys who have done it before. Not only that, but the fact that they won on the road in the post-season makes it even more important, because know the players know they can win any game, at any time, in any place.

If you look at our last 2 Super Bowl wins you will see the stage being set the season before...

In 1986 we won a wild card game at home vs the Rams 19-7 then a week later we went into Chicago and beat the Defending Super Bowl Champions on their home turf 27-13. Yeah, we lost in the Meadowlands a week later but that was to the eventual Sup[er Bowl Champs. The next season we won the Super Bowl.

In 1990, we won a road wild card game at Minnesota 24-7 then went out west and lost to the 49ers 20-13 I think. We really did have the 9ers on the ropes. A season later we won the Super Bowl.

Teams don't often come out of nowhere and win it all. It has happened though with the likes of the Rams, Ravens, Patriots(their 1st win)...but for the most part, teams have to come up short year after year sometimes before winning it all. The Steelers are a prime example...they are a decent contender almost every year...the Bucs kept coming up short before they won it...The Broncos (with the help of TD) kept coming up short.

My point is, right now we are following the exact path of ALOT of Super Bowl winners...getting close but coming up just short...it may take a year or two more but I like our position as of now.

Would like to have won the first game. Would have possibly relieved so much stress of having to win the 5 in a row. Then after getting into the playoffs we had the away game pressures. Although we got into the 2nd round it's always difficult winning playoff games in somebody elses home.

Archived