Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ffx county police officer shooting

MissU28

suicide by cop for sure.

and to those "enlightened non-judgemental people" out there who always make excuses for the wackos who dye their hair, go goth, wear black trenchcoats and are social misfits:

there is a reason the public is judgemental about that type of individual.

uh, unlike rincewind who can't stop his reflexive anti-military insults, I wasn't threadjacking.

from today's Washington Post article:

"His neighbors in Centreville said Kennedy always wore black, military-style clothes and army boots, even in the summer. They said he never explained why."It's not really a big surprise," said Katie Palmer, who graduated last year from Westfield High School with Kennedy. "He brought a knife to school once." Other neighbors said Kennedy was into paintball.Palmer and others described Kennedy as standoffish, "in his own world. Classmates said he didn't appear to have many friends. Palmer said Kennedy often was hassled by security at the school because of the way he dressed. Neighbor Sergio Gutierrez, 17, said that Kennedy often was seen walking around in a heavy army coat and that "he didn't say nothing to nobody."

One of my stepson's best friends is a state trooper in Fairfax. Not sure where the area office is, but was concerned as read the article.

Any word on who was driving the white truck? Was he apprehended?

I believe that the suspect drove both vehicles. It appears now that he carjacked the white pickup and dumped it near his house and than store the van that he drove to the police station. The police didn't know that at the time of the shooting and assumed that a second suspect was still at large. That is one of the reasons they were initially looking for a second suspect.

Some additional info, the county police this morning in a press release stated that they have been unable to locate the parents of the suspect. They went as far as advising they are missing. I hope this guy didn't do anything to his parents. Just a sad situation all around.

Wow, one idiot proves a stereotype? So does that mean all low-ranking and mid-ranking military are really mindless drones?

one idiot? What about the dudes from Columbine? Or the guy who lived in Oakton who was obsessed with the Matrix and killed his parents? Or the girl who went to JMU and had her father killed? I'm not saying all goths are outta control, but I'd be concerned if I had a child who started dressing like that.

one idiot? What about the dudes from Columbine? Or the guy who lived in Oakton who was obsessed with the Matrix and killed his parents? Or the girl who went to JMU and had her father killed? I'm not saying all goths are outta control, but I'd be concerned if I had a child who started dressing like that.

I was asked once to not hijack this thread. I will go back and edit so that it doesn't happen (and i am editing for the sole purpose as to avoid hijackery) . But if you have a problem with what i said, please PM me or start a new thread. Thanks.

I was asked once to not hijack this thread. I will go back and edit so that it doesn't happen (and i am editing for the sole purpose as to avoid hijackery) . But if you have a problem with what i said, please PM me or start a new thread. Thanks.

it's my thread, i don't care if it's hijacked...and we're not really off topic

Killed his parents cuz of the matrix???

Link Please!!:)

thats crazy! I never heard of that...

thanks in advance (if youre able to find it:))

well the washington post magazine archive search thing is down, but i'll try again later...it was a really good article...very creepy

She started the thread so ok let's talk about fashion leading to crime...

Compare the number of goths that harm people to the number of hiphop fans out there harming people. Should we all view pants worn too low as a warning sign? What about athletes... they certainly tend to be involved in more fights then any other group in highschool. Their is almost no one that went to any highschool that hasn't seen a athlete torment some poor goofy kid. Should parents contact anger management professionals as soon as little Timmy makes the team?

It's absurd. This kids showed way more warning signs then wearing dark clothing. He openly discussed harming people, brought weapons to school, didn't have friends, and even mentioned the idea of attacking the police. Would all of these things been normal had he been wearing a polo sweater?

Fine - then how about this - if you can view them as the typical goth kids, i'll view the idiots down in Abu-grab-ass (i call it that because i forget the real name of the prison :) ) as the typical low-ranking military personal. Fair?

Compare the number of goths that harm people to the number of hiphop fans out there harming people. Should we all view pants worn to low as a warning sign? What about athletes... they certainly tend to be involved in more fights then any other group in highschool. Their is almost no one that went to any highschool that hasn't seen a athlete torment some poor goofy kid. Should parents contact anger management professionals as soon as little Timmy makes the team?

It's absurd. This kids showed way more warning signs then wearing dark clothing. He openly discussed harming people, brought weapons to school, didn't have friends, and even mentioned the idea of attacking the police. Would all of these things been normal had he been wearing a polo sweater?

Thank-you. That is what i was trying to say. I just happened to use military personal because i was talking to AFC. Unfortunately, that labels me as a military hater. :rolleyes:

Compare the number of goths that harm people to the number of hiphop fans out there harming people. Should we all view pants worn to low as a warning sign? What about athletes... they certainly tend to be involved in more fights then any other group in highschool. Their is almost no one that went to any highschool that hasn't seen a athlete torment some poor goofy kid. Should parents contact anger management professionals as soon as little Timmy makes the team?

well i wasn't trying to say that it was just his clothing...of COURSE you have to look at other variables... which separate goths from freaks.

Rincewind...

At the risk of further hijacktion, I think the avoid hijacking principle exists not just out of respect for the person who started the thread. It also helps maintain board integrity. For example, who clicks on a thread about "ffx county police officer shooting" in order to read about gothic and military stereotypes?

This case is about a sick young person, a disgusting criminal that murdered those charged with protecting the community against *********s like him.

This case is about a sick young person, a disgusting criminal that murdered those charged with protecting the community against *********s like him.

BINGO!

The effect of his crime stretch further than the families of those he gunned down.

The entire community is now weaker. That community now has 3 less officers available to them.

The Police Press Release they put out this afternoon.

Fairfax County Police Department

Public Information Office

May 9, 2006

Update on Fatal Police Shooting

Investigation has determined that the sequence of events leading up to Monday's shooting began with an attempted carjacking. The Department of Public Safety Communications (DPSC) received a call at 3:37 p.m. that a heavily-armed man attempted to carjack a Ford pickup truck in the 14800 block of Bodley Square in the London Towne community in the Centreville area. At 3:45 p.m. DPSC received a second report that a Chevrolet minivan had been carjacked in the 6200 block of Paddington Lane. This is one block away from the first reported incident. The description of the suspect for both incidents was similar, a white man wearing a black mask dressed in camouflage clothing and armed with several weapons. At 3:52 p.m. reports of gunfire at the Sully District Station were received.

The suspect drove the minivan into the parking lot of the police station, exited the minivan and immediately began firing on officers. The first officer struck had been parking his cruiser when he was shot more than a five times and critically injured. Detective Vicky O. Armel was in the process of responding to a radio broadcast of the carjacking when the suspect confronted her in the parking lot. She exchanged gunfire with the suspect and was mortally wounded after being shot multiple times. Three more officers exchanged gunfire with the suspect before killing him. In all, the suspect fired over 70 rounds at officers. He was armed with an AK-47 assault-style weapon, a long-barreled, high-powered rifle and five handguns. He carried an extensive amount of ammunition.

Detective Armel, 40, was a nine-year veteran of the Department who worked in the Criminal Investigations Section at the Sully District Station. She leaves behind a husband and two children. In keeping with Departmental police, her home address will not be released.

Identification of the injured officers is not being released. The hospitalized officer is still in critical condition.

The suspect has been identified as Michael Kennedy, 18, of 6200 Prince Way in Centreville

so my coworker's husband taught this kid in Middle School...aka the middle school I went to....and said that he would have put money that this kid was on drugs at the time, and that the kid stole a digital camera from the tech ed room....and said he was a piece of ...... back then.

Archived