Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Herndon votes out Mayor/Council after immigration snub.

Thiebear

The Majority of residents were against the Day Laborer centers and the Mayor/Council ignored them....... Well, Well, Well... Hint to Feds...

The Mayor and all but one Council member were voted out.

On WMAL right now.....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/02/AR2006050201333.html

Voters Head to Polls in Northern Virginia

By Bill Turque, Amy Gardner and Annie Gowen

Washington Post Staff Writers

Tuesday, May 2, 2006; 7:12 PM

Voters throughout Northern Virginia towns and cities went to the polls today to elect candidates for mayor, council and school board.

The most closely watched local election was in the town of Herndon, whose contest for mayor and six at-large council seats was the first since the council voted to establish a center where immigrant day laborers can connect with employers.

The plan was heatedly contested in the town of 22,000 near Dulles International Airport, where Latino immigrants make up about a quarter of the population. It also thrust Herndon to the front of the turbulent national debate on illegal immigration and turned today's election into what was widely regarded as a referendum on the issue.

Just an observation,

The article says they "establish a center where immigrant day laborers can connect with employers."

And that statement is followed by "It also thrust Herndon to the front of the turbulent national debate on illegal immigration".

So, is this a case of the town spending tax money to assist in the commission of a crime?

Or a case of a bunch of voters all assuming that all day laborers are illegal immigrants?

The meetings being held.. and the voters and everyone else have no doubt that the ILLEGAL immigrants line up 100 deep outside of 7/11's ... Herndon decided to sponsor and move it.

One of the rules of the herndon center: Don't ask if they are legal or not so your not breaking any laws...

thats a clue.....

Yeah, I'd be willing to bet that there's a lot of illegal activity going on in the whole "day labor" business.

The whole "show up, work one day, get paid cash, no ID, no paperwork" (granted, I may be making a lot of assumptions, here) seems to me like a system that was designed to cater to people who're living "under the table".

(Although there are lots of possible reasons for that. Could be immigration, could be people hiding from child support payments, outstanding warrants, income tax evasion. Illegal immigrants aren't the only people who're hiding from/in our society.)

Just an observation,

The article says they "establish a center where immigrant day laborers can connect with employers."

And that statement is followed by "It also thrust Herndon to the front of the turbulent national debate on illegal immigration".

So, is this a case of the town spending tax money to assist in the commission of a crime?

Or a case of a bunch of voters all assuming that all day laborers are illegal immigrants?

I don't think it is a case of voters assuming that all day laborers are illegal immigrants. I is a case of voters assuming that somewhere between "a lot" and "most" are. I don't think the voter has the same burden of proof for probable cause as the government.

Do you have any experience at one of these congregation locations? I've never been to one in Herndon, but have in Woodbridge and Alexandria, not to find a "contractor" but to, gasp, buy a drink. Luckily the rudimentary Spanish that I know has allowed me to communicate that I am not looking for any workers, I never had much success with English...but I am not drawing any conclusions from that fact, just an observation.

I may be oversimplifying the situation, but I think this is the background:

(1) A large number of 'day workers' gather at a particular location each morning in Herndon, causing a disruption for local stores.

(2) Local government decides to open a publicly-funded center to move the problem to where it can be better managed. Local supporters agree that this approach is better than ignoring the problem.

(3) Opponents object to:

(a) public funding (now estimated at $2.4M) for the center out of small purse

(B) government essentially sanctioning illegal activity, i.e. hiring of workers without any evidence of taxes, insurance etc. Likelihood that workers are here illegally too, but this is more important to some protestors than others.

© a comfortable waiting facility for such day workers would actually attract more workers and make the traffic problem worse. People probably also fear that unemployed workers who don't get picked up that day may not be ideal guests to have wandering the neighborhoods while they are away from home at their own jobs.

So this Herndon issue goes beyond the (simple) national issue of how illegal immigrants should be treated and their rights.

Edit ... found this WP article, published last August, that gives more background.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/03/AR2005080302466.html

Thats how the majority of the residents of Herndon felt. They fell that why should money come outta thier taxes that they pay for, go to a project that helps out people who don't contirbute to the taxes of thier community.

About two weeks ago I heard a report on WMAL or WTTP that Herndon used to be an area where residents left their doors unlocked, etc. but that there had been an increase of break-ins during the day. Knowing that the day center existed, needless to say I was not surprised.

The meetings being held.. and the voters and everyone else have no doubt that the ILLEGAL immigrants line up 100 deep outside of 7/11's ... Herndon decided to sponsor and move it.

One of the rules of the herndon center: Don't ask if they are legal or not so your not breaking any laws...

thats a clue.....

The funny thing is, is that one of the main 7-11's where this occurs, is about a block from a major herndon gov't complex, which also includes the city's police HQ... :laugh: :laugh:

The funny thing is, is that one of the main 7-11's where this occurs, is about a block from a major herndon gov't complex, which also includes the city's police HQ... :laugh: :laugh:
You do realize that city police have no authority to enforce immigration laws? They can tell them that they're loitering and try to break up the crowds, but there's no way a city police officer can deport anyone.

Even the INS doesn't have the resources to enforce the laws and deport people. The problem is not about finding illegal aliens - they're literally standing out in the open all over the country - the problem is coming up with the resources to deport them all ... and making sure that after you deport someone they don't come back. Unfortunately, people who have snuck across the border once are generally pretty well informed about how to do it again.

This is not a problem anyone is going to solve on a local level, and I don't think I'm a huge fan of the day labor centers either. Immigration is a federal problem and the system needs to change from the top.

About two weeks ago I heard a report on WMAL or WTTP that Herndon used to be an area where residents left their doors unlocked, etc. but that there had been an increase of break-ins during the day. Knowing that the day center existed, needless to say I was not surprised.

So why exactly would the presence of a day center increase the amount of crime in Herdon?

I sent this info to my two Senators to let give them visual evidence to ignoring the public...

ICE: the new INS just received 7? people found in the airport restricted area.. they said they were illegal and they let them go???

You do realize that city police have no authority to enforce immigration laws? They can tell them that they're loitering and try to break up the crowds, but there's no way a city police officer can deport anyone.

Even the INS doesn't have the resources to enforce the laws and deport people. The problem is not about finding illegal aliens - they're literally standing out in the open all over the country - the problem is coming up with the resources to deport them all ... and making sure that after you deport someone they don't come back. Unfortunately, people who have snuck across the border once are generally pretty well informed about how to do it again.

This is not a problem anyone is going to solve on a local level, and I don't think I'm a huge fan of the day labor centers either. Immigration is a federal problem and the system needs to change from the top.

It's also true that the last thing the local police want to do is enforce immigration violations. If they do, they will find it far harder to get help from that community when investigating crime.

It's also true that the last thing the local police want to do is enforce immigration violations. If they do, they will find it far harder to get help from that community when investigating crime.

You mean crimes such as immigration violations? Sorry too tempting not to post even though I see your point.

I don't think there's data linking rising crime rates to the very recent building of the day worker center. Herndon used to be quiet and undeveloped. The sprawl west from DC all the way to Leesburg in the last 15 years has meant that Herndon is no longer as isolated as it once was. Loudoun County has been at the top of the fastest growing large-population counties in the whole country over that period. With increased population comes increased crime.

You mean crimes such as immigration violations? Sorry too tempting not to post even though I see your point.

So why did you post then? No I don't mean crimes such as immigration violations. Given that the Feds don't care about this, what do you want or expect the local police to do?

The problem of illegal immigration needs to be addressed, but until the Feds come up with a workable proposal, the priority for the local police should be enforcing the laws they can, and solving crimes against people and property. If the illegal immigrant population know they can help the police solve such crimes without coming under scrutiny for their documentation status, this can only help the police in doing their job.

I don't think there's data linking rising crime rates to the very recent building of the day worker center. Herndon used to be quiet and undeveloped. The sprawl west from DC all the way to Leesburg in the last 15 years has meant that Herndon is no longer as isolated as it once was. Loudoun County has been at the top of the fastest growing large-population counties in the whole country over that period. With increased population comes increased crime.

I am at work and don't have time to do all the research and write a economics thesis that account for all variables. That being said does more population mean more crime, duh because of more people to commit crimes. There are statistics that link higher crime rates with low education and low income/unemployment. The day center isn't full of unemployed persons with bachelor degrees that are in between jobs. These are uneducated, unskilled, unemployed, and in many case illegal aliens. Meaning they know that we (US Govt) do not know who they are (because they are undocumented). These people are poor and are trying to earn money. If they do not get chosen to work a certain day what do they do? Wander around the neighborhoods that are within walking distance of the labor center.

Archived