Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anthony Montgomery quotes

Switchgear

http://www.gophersports.com/sportsNews/press_release.asp?news_id=12463&sport_id=mfball

April 30, 2006 - MONTGOMERY QUOTES ON BEING SELECTED BY THE WASHINGTON REDSKINS

"It felt like home and felt like a place that I was supposed to be. Everyone was friendly. There were a lot of guys working out. I talked to a couple of players like [Antwaan] Randle El and he talked to me like I had been on the team forever. I met with Coach [Joe] Gibbs and we had a nice conversation. It just felt right."

On what he does best on the football field:

"I think my size and my athleticism are my strong points at this stage. That, plus the fact that I can use my hands well. But I know I have a lot of room for improvement. I need to work on keeping my pads lower, and on improving my footwork and getting off the ball. So I recognize there's a lot of room for improvement in terms of my technique."

On his dream of getting drafted in the NFL:

"It was never to get drafted in the first round, although that would have been nice. I got drafted and there are a lot of guys who played football as kids and didn't get this opportunity."

On waiting to be drafted:

"I was sitting here, sweating it out. After I visited Washington, I thought the coaches liked me. I liked everything I saw myself there, as soon as I walked in the door. The coaches told me they had a fifth-round pick and some sixth-round picks and they said, 'Don't be surprised if I get a call.' I visited two teams, Washington and Green Bay. I grew up in Cleveland as a Browns fan, but obviously I didn't care who drafted me. I just want to play football."

On being a new player:

"As far as being a rookie, I'll just try to fit in. I'll work hard to learn my role and the system. Basically, as a rookie, I'll try to get around the vets and learn as much as I can. Hopefully, I'll be able to contribute to the team, and get in on a play here and there. Whatever they need me to do, I'm ready."

--------------------

Sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders.

Anyone know Montgomery's Wonderlic score?
]

I am so sick of hearing about the Wonderlic. Jeez can we just stop talking about that stupid test. I mean Alex Smith aced it and we see how well he did last year. Dan Marino bombed the test and he is a Hall of Famer.

]

I am so sick of hearing about the Wonderlic. Jeez can we just stop talking about that stupid test. I mean Alex Smith aced it and we see how well he did last year. Dan Marino bombed the test and he is a Hall of Famer.

Well, it is important for telling how someone can read coverages and such. But the thing with QBs is, no matter how well they can call coverages, they need to be able to take the pressure of the game. So that overcomes the wonderlic. Good or bad.

I don't think that he went to the combine so I'm not sure he has one out there. I could be wrong on that, but I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere. I'll see what I can find to substantiate that.

Edit: Here it is, or at least a list of 2006 invitees which doesn't include his name, http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9206978

I thought I read where he dind't go to the combine either, but then I saw

the info on "Drafties" (a sticky at the top of the Stadium) and it had this....

GIL BRANDT'S ANALYSIS

Minnesota's coaches thought he would be the second player picked from their team. He really impressed folks at the Combine. He worked out very well at his Pro Day. He is the type of short, quick defensive tackle who is doing well now in NFL.

p.s. Gil's getting older now-a-days...he also said he was "short"...

the kid is listed at 6' 5" ???

I found it funny how Leinary, getting drated 11th, talked about how disapointing it was. 11th. Overall. Some of these guys are a bit on the stuck-up, high expectations side. Good to see a guy just happy to be in the league.

I found it funny how Leinary, getting drated 11th, talked about how disapointing it was. 11th. Overall. Some of these guys are a bit on the stuck-up, high expectations side. Good to see a guy just happy to be in the league.

I hear ya...

point of order though....

Leinart went #10 to Arizona, no?

he was drafted 10th overall actually....but i dont see why he should be upset, he might be playing for the cards....but they are the best team out of the teams the other big propect draftees were taken by. the cards had the #1 passing offense last year...so he should be ecstatic.

yada yada yada....:laugh:

These guys are coached to be good football players as well as what to say and what not to say, gotta be politically correct.

The thing I like the most about this pick is Greg Blache liked and wanted this guy. Thats all I need to hear.....:point2sky

I thought I read where he dind't go to the combine either, but then I saw

the info on "Drafties" (a sticky at the top of the Stadium) and it had this....

GIL BRANDT'S ANALYSIS

Minnesota's coaches thought he would be the second player picked from their team. He really impressed folks at the Combine. He worked out very well at his Pro Day. He is the type of short, quick defensive tackle who is doing well now in NFL.

p.s. Gil's getting older now-a-days...he also said he was "short"...

the kid is listed at 6' 5" ???

Interesting, not sure what to think here :whoknows:, though it wouldn't surprise me for a mediot to be wrong.

yada yada yada....:laugh:

These guys are coached to be good football players as well as what to say and what not to say, gotta be politically correct.

The thing I like the most about this pick is Greg Blache liked and wanted this guy. Thats all I need to hear.....:point2sky

completely agree, why do people still believe football players or pro athletes for that matter? especially after this whole fiasco with Lavar, no one current football player has the integrity to remain loyal and stay with a team throughout his career. the only player i can think of that did actually turn down more money to stay with his current team is Darrell Green and he's retired now. money rules all.

Archived