Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ladell Betts

chronicdesi

I love Ladell, but with Portis here, there just isn't going to be too much room for him to start. I know he's a great third down back, and great short runner. I would hate to see him go, but do you think it would be wise to offer him as trade bait to move up or even get some more picks in the draft to get more depth at CB or LB? One possibility could be Miami with Ricky grounded for the day... Just a thought...

I think he is tradeable. If only because he will be a UFA next year and with Portis and Rock signed long term I doubt we will be able to afford to keep him. It would be nice to get something out of him. But unless we get a second rounder or better we might as well jsut keep him.

If you have followed Gibbs over his entire career, you would have learned that Gibbs does not trade AWAY players he likes, unless they become disgruntled or start making waves.

Betts will not be traded. Besides there is a glut of RB's now in the NFL and the Skins get much for Betts anyway. Teams weren't all that interested last year even in Edgerin James or Shaun Alexander.

Only problem with the Miami scenario is that they have already resigned both Travis Minor and Sammy Morris. Kind of seems to me that they expected the appeal to be denied. They seem to be comfortable splitting carries b/t Brown and those two.

As for us, let's not forget the Ladell is by far and away the best backup we have to CP. I love Rock's heart and toughness, but he does not have Ladell's athleticism or size. Everyone remember the kickoff return Betts had in the first TB game? I think we all know that Rock doesn't have that kind of break-away speed

Only problem with the Miami scenario is that they have already resigned both Travis Minor and Sammy Morris. Kind of seems to me that they expected the appeal to be denied. They seem to be comfortable splitting carries b/t Brown and those two.

As for us, let's not forget the Ladell is by far and away the best backup we have to CP. I love Rock's heart and toughness, but he does not have Ladell's athleticism or size. Everyone remember the kickoff return Betts had in the first TB game? I think we all know that Rock doesn't have that kind of break-away speed

I actually saw statistically somewhere once (it might have been scout.com or somewhere similiar) that Rock is much more efficient with his carries than Betts, which surprised me, but they had it all broken down with everything considered. Getting back on topic, I'd rather see Betts resigned than anything else, he's a great team guy, probably one of the better backups in the league, and I wouldn't be surprised if Saunders utilizes him even more this season than he was used before. I also don't know about getting a 2nd rounder for the guy, I mean he's a good backup and all, but he has a bit of an injury bug and not too many teams that I can think of need a "good backup" to start at the moment, atleast not at the price of a 2nd round pick. Just keep the guy around, I think he can do some damage this season with the new offense, at the very least while giving Portis some rest.

Id much rather we held onto him. All three of our running backs last year saw playing time just about every game and I love them all. I distinctly remember a certain play last year where it looked like a carry by Betts was swallowed up by a mass of defenders and yet the crowd stood silent as no whistle was blown. Then Betts burst out of the mass of defenders for a first down. It's very rare that I remember a specific play like that when it didnt lead to a TD. Unless one of our practice squad guys does something amazing, I think and hope we'll be seeing the trio of Portis, Betts, and Cartwright for a while yet.

If you have followed Gibbs over his entire career, you would have learned that Gibbs does not trade AWAY players he likes, unless they become disgruntled or start making waves.

Betts will not be traded. Besides there is a glut of RB's now in the NFL and the Skins get much for Betts anyway. Teams weren't all that interested last year even in Edgerin James or Shaun Alexander.

Yeah but James and Alexander were Franchised. Teams would have had to give up a 1st a 3rd for them plus a boat load of money. James got good money from the Cardnals because he wasn't franchised this year. I still don't think we would trade him unless we got a first and I don't see anyone needing a runningback that badly.

a lot of folks thought Gibbs would deal Ramsey before 2005. But Gibbs likes having capable depth on hand.

that is the main reason you won't see Betts traded. yes, he will be a free agent after this season, however, receiving a #5 or #6 pick for him is not receiving value as far as Gibbs is concerned because if Portis gets hurt, Betts together with Cartwright would be the 2-headed solution. Betts and Cartwright complement each other's skills well.

when it comes time, Betts will move on. but Gibbs will feel at that time he has gotten all he could out of him.

there would be no point at all in trading betts for a 4th rounder or lower. the guy is a very very good backup and can return kickoffs as well. i personally want to see the skins throw some decent money at him to try to keep him after next year

Archived