Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who Is Geroge Rogers??

CrypticVillain

From what I could gather at the time, George Rogers ruined his career with an addiction to cocaine. At 29 he was done in the NFL, a shadow of the player he had been earlier in his career. He had two very good years with the Skins but the 1987 season was his swan song and his poor performances late led Joe Gibbs to start Timmy Smith in the Super Bowl.

From what I could gather at the time, George Rogers ruined his career with an addiction to cocaine. At 29 he was done in the NFL, a shadow of the player he had been earlier in his career. He had two very good years with the Skins but the 1987 season was his swan song and his poor performances late led Joe Gibbs to start Timmy Smith in the Super Bowl.

It wasn't so much his performance as the fact that he was hurt that he didn't play in Super Bowl XXII

I remember Kelvin Bryant he was a good 3rd down back!To bad for Geroge Rogers to many injuries but his replacement timmy smith did great for him in super bowl 22 and we all know what happend!!

:point2sky HAIL TO THE REDSKINS :point2sky

:logo: REDSKINS IN 2006 :logo:

Rogers had a good couple years with the Skin, but was slowing down and getting injured. Timmy Smith started over him in the Super Bowl because the Broncos were notorius blitz up the middle team, and the coaches wanted speed to get outside of the blitz. Like Gerald Riggs, he got his Super Bowl and retired. He still holds the single game rushing record. The Skins then acquired Earnest Byner and Gerald Riggs.

Rogers was banged up with various injuries heading into XXII but did get in on a few snaps.

It's interesting that people bring Bryant up because Betts' running style kind of reminds me of how Bryant used to run.

I think Betts is a bit more physical than Bryant. Funy thing is when Bryant was in the USFL he seemed bigger and more physical. He looked skinny when he got to the Skins. He couldn't take the every down punishment.

He was very injury-prone, but what a out-of-the-backfield receiver! One of my favorite Redskins. :logo:

Man if Kelvin could have stayed healthy, he would have been one of te best backs in the 80's. Gibbs said he was one of the smartest football players he ever coached. Great guy also, in the Raleigh area now, from UNC

Rogers is still a large figure in Columbia, SC. USC's stadium is bounded by George Roger's Blvd. I believe he works in the athletic dept for the ****s. One hell of a back in college and had some monster years with Saints. Always reminded my of Earl Campbell, same running style that just makes a guy get old fast.

Man if Kelvin could have stayed healthy, he would have been one of te best backs in the 80's. Gibbs said he was one of the smartest football players he ever coached. Great guy also, in the Raleigh area now, from UNC
Kelvin was a beast out of the back field on 3rd downs, not too many LB could hang with him. Im hoping we use Portis in a similiar roll.

A little Super Bowl XXII trivia: For all he had done during the season, Rogers was announced as the starter in Super Bowl XXII although he couldn't play because of turf toe or something like that. I just remember he couldn't run. Had Rogers been healthy, it would have been him running all over the Broncos instead of one-hit wonder Timmy Smith.

I remember watching George at South Carolina while Herschel Walker was at Georgia. The classic matchup between the two best backs in college football was televised and I think Georgia won the game but Rogers won the Heisman. Although I didn't, a lot of people thought Walker was more deservings but Heisman voters simply don't give the award to freshmen, which Walker was.

Archived