Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sports records that won't be broken

Spaceman Spiff

the only locks:

RB:Gayle Sayers' 6 rushing TD in a game

This can easily be broken. Priest Holmes and Larry Johnson had 4 rushing TDs each in one game last year for KC. If they kept PH in there instead of pulling him--it would have been broken.

Actually, I will refrain from the 'easily be broken' part-- It's not hard to accomplish as you may think.

If it can be done once. It can be done again.

Which is exactly why i say back-to-back no hitters. Okay, maybe *MAYBE* by some freak accident somebody does throw back-to-back no hitters again. The chances of them throwing 27 consecutive no hit baseball have to be a trillion to one. It just not going to happen.

baseball:

Ripken's WILL be broken - showing up to work every day is not impressive IMO

That's such an absurd comment. Most people with day jobs don't go to work everyday, let alone play 162 games for 16 seasons straight. He's 500 games above Lou G., and his record stood for over 50 years. Those 500 games is more than three seasons. The hardest records to break in baseball (short of Cy Young's wins record) are records that require a daily feat. Even if that's just showing up to work able to play everyday, the feat is impressive.

If nothing else, managers don't let older players go for all 162 games. Bottom line, his record is impressive. Joe D's 56 games and Cal's 2632 games will never be broken. Of course, Cy Young's 511 wins is by far the most impressive since Maddux winning 320 tonight is an amazing accomplishment, and he's still 191 wins short of Young.

Calling Cal's record "not impressive" is a slap in the face to a player who was willing to lay everything on the field everday, 162 games a year, for 16 years.

That's such an absurd comment. Most people with day jobs don't go to work everyday, let alone play 162 games for 16 seasons straight. He's 500 games above Lou G., and his record stood for over 50 years. Those 500 games is more than three seasons. The hardest records to break in baseball (short of Cy Young's wins record) are records that require a daily feat. Even if that's just showing up to work able to play everyday, the feat is impressive.

If nothing else, managers don't let older players go for all 162 games. Bottom line, his record is impressive. Joe D's 56 games and Cal's 2632 games will never be broken. Of course, Cy Young's 511 wins is by far the most impressive since Maddux winning 320 tonight is an amazing accomplishment, and he's still 191 wins short of Young.

Calling Cal's record "not impressive" is a slap in the face to a player who was willing to lay everything on the field everday, 162 games a year, for 16 years.

A PITCHING RECORD IS MORE impressive than ripkens,streak.

Football:

Lock to NEVER be broken:

Longest Pass Completion 99 yards: Frank Filchock (to Farkas), Washington vs. Pittsburgh, Oct. 15, 1939 (Tied many times, never broken) :)

Johnny Unitas most consecutive games with a TD pass: 47.

note:

6 TD's in one game has been done by three players:

Ernie Nevers,Dub Jones and Gale Sayers

Ernie Nevers is the only one who scored all 6 by rushing. (Which is an NFL record)

Jones had 4 rush and 2 pass

Sayers had 4 rush, 1 pass and 1 return.

http://www.nfl.com/history/randf/records/indiv/touchdowns

:logo:

Ripken's streak is an amazing feat and will never get touched
what is so impressive about it?my dad has been sawmilling for over 40 yrs and has never missed a day(he's 63) and other ppl have longer streaks than ripkens,i havent missed a day from work in over 3 yrs.impressive? no

what is so impressive about it?my dad has been sawmilling for over 40 yrs and has never missed a day(he's 63) and other ppl have longer streaks than ripkens,i havent missed a day from work in over 3 yrs.impressive? no

Hmm I wonder why you don't think the streak is impressive...

Football:

Lock to NEVER be broken:

Longest Pass Completion 99 yards: Frank Filchock (to Farkas), Washington vs. Pittsburgh, Oct. 15, 1939 (Tied many times, never broken) :)

Johnny Unitas most consecutive games with a TD pass: 47.

note:

6 TD's in one game has been done by three players:

Ernie Nevers,Dub Jones and Gale Sayers

Ernie Nevers is the only one who scored all 6 by rushing. (Which is an NFL record)

Jones had 4 rush and 2 pass

Sayers had 4 rush, 1 pass and 1 return.

http://www.nfl.com/history/randf/records/indiv/touchdowns

:logo:

Nice findings! I think he said 6 rushing TDs by Sayers-- So naturally he had to mean Ernie Nevers, since he had all his TDs by rushing.

The 99 yard TD pass is impossible to break. Should this one even count since the others are breakable, (just not easily) and this one can not be even thought of breaking? :laugh:

Ripken played most of his years as a shortstop, the most physically demanding position to play in baseball. Ripken was an all-star many of those years, meaning while not getting injured for 2,613 games, he was one of the best for many of those games. While normal, every day jobs can be demanding, not too many command the energy and physicality that a sport does. Ripken playing at the top level (for the most part) at a position that takes a heavy, heavy toll on the body, and doing it almost daily for 16 years is not only impressive, it is legendary. I don't why people would want to take away from that record. The record will never be broken, especially not by another shortstop.

Ripken played most of his years as a shortstop, the most physically demanding position to play in baseball. Ripken was an all-star many of those years, meaning while not getting injured for 2,613 games, he was one of the best for many of those games. While normal, every day jobs can be demanding, not too many command the energy and physicality that a sport does. Ripken playing at the top level (for the most part) at a position that takes a heavy, heavy toll on the body, and doing it almost daily for 16 years is not only impressive, it is legendary. I don't why people would want to take away from that record. The record will never be broken, especially not by another shortstop.

Well put :applause:

-Joe Gibb's three superbowl wins with three diff qb's

-Ripken's record

He was the best shortstop in baseball for a number of years. You cant compare a hall of fame player to you are your father:doh:

Wayne Gretzky has several Unbreakables

1)Points, Gretzky has 2857, next closeset has 1887

2)Assists, Gretzky has 1963, next closest has 1249

3) Goals, Gretzky has 894, next closest has 801 (this one is a little closer, but come on, Gordie Howe Played his last NHL game at age 50)

4) Goals in a Season Gretzky has 92, next closest (other than Gretzky) has 86

5) Assists in a Season Gretzky has 163, next closest (other than Gretzky) has 114

6) Points in a Season Gretzky has 215, next colsest (other than Gretzky) has 199

7)Fastest to 50 Goals, 39 games

8) Most consecutive MVP awards, Gretzky has 8 next closest IN ALL MAJOR SPORTS, 3, from Larry Bird/Wilt Chamberlain/Bill Russel/Bobby Orr (ALSO: Barry Bonds won NL MVP 4 time in a row, so you can count that is you want even though there is no MLB MVP)

Other Unbreakables,

Wilts 100 in a game

Cals game streak

Rocky Marciano's 49-0 undefeated HeavyWeigth champ

Cy Young's 511 wins

Rices 22,895 receiving yards

I think Joe D. hitting streak record will be broken. Hitters are getting better and better. People are constantly threatening it...I feel like eventually one of them is going to have to break it.

that's funny, because that is one i have always thought would never be broken. i don't think it's ever really been "threatened." wasn't paul molitors 39 gamer the closest? anything above 25 is immediately under the media spotlight, which is significantly brighter than it was in joe d.'s days. :2cents:

Archived