Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sports records that won't be broken

Spaceman Spiff

Ummm... shorstop is still more physically demanding. A catcher may get hit by a player on a play at the plate, but that doesn't happen very often, most players slide. The shortstop position is there for several reasons. One is that as most people are right handed, most hits go to the left side of the field. This is why the shortstop is between second and third. The shortstop is the most active position on the field, thus the most demanding.

* I think, but I could be wrong, that Brett Favre has a record for consecutive games by a QB in the NFL that will never be broken. I remeber hearing it somewhere and it sounds like it could be true, but I am not sure.

I think your talking about athletically demanding. Shortstop may require the most athletic ability on the field (though i would say centerfield) catcher is by far the most physically demanding - catcher's bodies take a beating, they are after all crouched the whole game. There is a reason catcher's get the most days off of any full-time players. ;)

Cal Ripken.

2 Gold Gloves

2 All Star MVP awards

19 All Star Apps

2 MVP Awards

2 Player of thre Year Awards

8 Silver Sligger awards

The Lou Gherig Award

The Clemente Award

Rookie of the year

The Streak

3000 hit club

400 HR club

Yea. Totally overrated. How does he sleep at night being so overrated?

:obvious:

Cal Ripken.

2 Gold Gloves

2 All Star MVP awards

19 All Star Apps

2 MVP Awards

8 Silver Sligger awards

The Lou Gherig Award

The Clemente Award

Rookie of the year

The Streak

3000 hit club

400 HR club

EXACTLY, people don't realize everything he did in his amazing career

Wow a whole 2 gold gloves?

I never said he wasn't good - just overrated. I would say he is above average, maybe even a HOF - not a superstar, and surely not a first ballot HOF. If he didn't have the streak he would be waiting to get into Cooperstown.

Wow a whole 2 gold gloves?

I never said he wasn't good - just overrated. I would say he is above average, maybe even a HOF - not a superstar, and surely not a first ballot HOF. If he didn't have the streak he would be waiting to get into Cooperstown.

Yea, and a couple years into his career, ran into a buzzsaw named Omar Visquel for that award. Visquel perhaps the best defensive SS ever along with the Wizard of Oz.

Yea, and a couple years into his career, ran into a buzzsaw named Omar Visquel for that award. Visquel perhaps the best defensive SS ever along with the Wizard of Oz.

Actually Omar didn't start playing until 1989.

edit: and only played in 81 games in 1990 and sixty-some in 1992.

You should slap yourself for that statement! :whippin: :silly:

Seriously, that record may be the greatest feet in all of baseball.

That record is just a few years shy of your entire life.

165?? games a year!

And the amazing thing is, he came out in the beginning and said that was his goal.

Sick?.... Too bad play

Hurt?.....Too bad play

Playboy bunnys going to Rio and you're invited?....Too bad play

Bored?........

When he did it, he recieved a 22 minute STANDING ovation.

22 MINUTES!!!!!!!

As far as I know, no other sports star ever recieved such a standing ovation.

That includes all sports!

I think that record touched so many people, because everyone can relate to it.

In todays society it is common to quit things early. Like marriage, school, etc.

People call out sick from work all the time.

Cal made a statement with that record that goes beyond baseball.:cheers:

oooo, woopie, he didn't have to actually DO anything but show up. anybody can show up, that is not a great feat, certainly not the greatest feat. it's stupid. it would be like having the record for times on deck :rolleyes: it's a stupid BS record, and no actual athletic skill was required to do it.

From your statement i dont even think you know what sport Lebron plays.:doh:

He averages 31.6 points (third in the nba), 7.1 rebounds, and 6.6 assists. His team currently holds the fourth spot in the East. He's also being mentioned as a possible mvp.

having a high scoring average on a sorry team like cleveland, is not an accomplishment, it's an expectation.:doh: i guess you're one of the types that think AI is so great because he scores so much:rolleyes: even though anyone shooting the ball 50-60 times per game would score that much. a high ppg avg and low ass shot pct means you suck PERIOD.

oooo, woopie, he didn't have to actually DO anything but show up. anybody can show up, that is not a great feat, certainly not the greatest feat. it's stupid. it would be like having the record for times on deck :rolleyes: it's a stupid BS record, and no actual athletic skill was required to do it.

Ok, I guess you need this too.

Cal Ripken.

2 Gold Gloves

2 All Star MVP awards

19 All Star Apps

2 MVP Awards

8 Silver Sligger awards

The Lou Gherig Award

The Clemente Award

Rookie of the year

The Streak

3000 hit club

400 HR club

either that, or the only one that doesn't buy into media BS

shaq,kobe,vince,kidd,mcgrady are all better than lebron

Look at the #'s, and he's got a LONG career ahead of him. The media hypes him because he should be. When he was a rookie I wasn't sold on him but nobody can deny how good he is now and he's only going to get better

Ummm... shorstop is still more physically demanding. A catcher may get hit by a player on a play at the plate, but that doesn't happen very often, most players slide. The shortstop position is there for several reasons. One is that as most people are right handed, most hits go to the left side of the field. This is why the shortstop is between second and third. The shortstop is the most active position on the field, thus the most demanding.

* I think, but I could be wrong, that Brett Favre has a record for consecutive games by a QB in the NFL that will never be broken. I remeber hearing it somewhere and it sounds like it could be true, but I am not sure.

last time i checked, squatting on your knees for 9 innings was more physically demanding, try it -that **** hurts like hell after a few minutes.

having a high scoring average on a sorry team like cleveland, is not an accomplishment, it's an expectation.:doh: i guess you're one of the types that think AI is so great because he scores so much:rolleyes: even though anyone shooting the ball 50-60 times per game would score that much. a high ppg avg and low ass shot pct means you suck PERIOD.

Geez I hate to see your football views because if they're as bad as your ones on basketball and baseball then you should just stop watching sports altogether. Well, maybe stick to curling or something..

Cal Ripken.

2 Gold Gloves

2 All Star MVP awards

19 All Star Apps

2 MVP Awards

8 Silver Sligger awards

The Lou Gherig Award

The Clemente Award

Rookie of the year

The Streak

3000 hit club

400 HR club

not to burst your bubble, but if you break those stats down to what an average player plays, those stats are HORRIBLE considering how many games he played in.

Geez I hate to see your football views because if they're as bad as your ones on basketball and baseball then you should just stop watching sports altogether. Well, maybe stick to curling or something..

name one part of my statement that was incorrect.....do you think scoring 50 ppg would be impressive, even if you only shot 12%?

when you hog the ball and take every shot in the world, you eventually have to score, you can't miss them all. and i refuse to even argue my point with you anymore, because you obviously fall for media hype and not actual performance or stats. look at the whole story, not just the headline. last year, lebron also lead the league in turnovers, and once again, cleveland sucked. you are not mvp quality if you cant take your team anywhere...THAT IS A FACT MOST EVERYONE AGREES WITH. no matter what his stats are, a team that isnt in postseason contention can not possibly have the mvp, because if he was so valuable, why are they always suckin hind tit?

not to burst your bubble, but if you break those stats down to what an average player plays, those stats are HORRIBLE considering how many games he played in.

What are you talking about? Averaging 23 homers are year is horrible?

Driving in 91 runs?

How about having a double digit BA over the average?

40 points higher in slugging and OPS?

How about more than 170 hits a year?

yeesh... :rolleyes:

name one part of my statement that was incorrect.....do you think scoring 50 ppg would be impressive, even if you only shot 12%?

when you hog the ball and take every shot in the world, you eventually have to score, you can't miss them all. and i refuse to even argue my point with you anymore, because you obviously fall for media hype and not actual performance or stats. look at the whole story, not just the headline. last year, lebron also lead the league in turnovers, and once again, cleveland sucked. you are not mvp quality if you cant take your team anywhere...THAT IS A FACT MOST EVERYONE AGREES WITH. no matter what his stats are, a team that isnt in postseason contention can not possibly have the mvp, because if he was so valuable, why are they always suckin hind tit?

Postseason contention? The Cavs are 4th in the East...and LOCKED a playoff spot. I think that's postseason contention. I don't know Lebron's shooting % off the top of my head but it's a hell of a lot higher than 12%. I'm not falling for the hype, you're just trying to be "different" by having a dissenting opinion

Then you are smart. Because you know what your watching, and i have been watching this crap for years.

I am a Cub Fan too. And they make me sick most of the time.

I don't know which made me sick first...

a) when Sammy Sosa corked his bat

or

B) that stupid fan grabbing that foul ball before Moises Alou could catch the ball ending game 6.

:doh:

:mad:

:( its hard being a cub fan sometimes...well at least we look better this year

Postseason contention? The Cavs are 4th in the East...and LOCKED a playoff spot. I think that's postseason contention. I don't know Lebron's shooting % off the top of my head but it's a hell of a lot higher than 12%. I'm not falling for the hype, you're just trying to be "different" by having a dissenting opinion

read the whole post:doh: the 12% was an example...he scored 45 points in a game last season but shot 12%

What are you talking about? Averaging 23 homers are year is horrible?

Driving in 91 runs?

How about having a double digit BA over the average?

40 points higher in slugging and OPS?

How about more than 170 hits a year?

yeesh... :rolleyes:

Yeah, even i didn't say he was horrible - just overrated.

I believe you called him the most overrated player is baseball history.

The numbers and awards simply dont lie.

Okay, i called the most overrated player in baseball history - but i still didn't say he was horrible. And i still stand by my statement.

just a good comparison to show how much ripkens stats suck......

chipper jones has played half the games rip has.....so double all of chipper's stats, and this is how they match up

runs -

Ripken 1,647

Chipper 2,202

hits -

Ripken 3,184

Chipper 3,622

HR -

Ripken 431

Chipper 662

RBI -

Ripken 1,695

Chipper 2,222

batting average -

Ripken .276

Chipper .303

so, just to be fair, based on games played, his stats were slightly more than average, and definitely not impressive.

Archived