Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

smoot or rogers

griffoene

How so? In 2004, the best player on defense was either Marcus Washington, Antonio Pierce, or Cornelius Griffin. In 2003, nobody really played well on defense, so I guess maybe he was one of the better players on that team. However, Bailey was the one always covering the #1 receiver... Smoot always got the #2 guy... but he covered that guy well...

Smoot was a dominating, shut down player the last two years here. He only struggled the year before that when he was a little dinged up and was great prior to that. Griffin was certainly as good a player as there was in the league at his position in 2004, but, he wasn't here in 2003. Pierce didn't do anything in 2003. Washington wasn't here in 2003. Smoot was the best player we had his last two years here, because of the players we had over the same period, none compared to his performance.

This is the year for Carlos. I think he's gonna step up in a big way.

Last year he shined on some plays, and on others he looked like your average rookie.

He's going to put it together this year, wait and see. That kid's got some skill, maybe not ProBowl caliber, but he'll be solid for sure.

An honest, objective answer would be: it's too soon to tell. Rogers is already a better tackler and comes with a lower price tag, but despite his setbacks this year Smoot is at this point better in coverage. I certainly think Rogers has the potential to be the better all-around corner, if not one of the best in the league, but he hasn't even played a full season healthy yet.

For some reason, everyone seems to love to dog on every ex-Skin with the bizarre exception of Lavar, who despite all his shortcomings is somehow still sacrosanct and stands exalted all on the reputation he earned by ending Aikman's career.

carlos is going to be a superstar in this league...and smoot cant tackle.
are you serious?

smoot would be willing to lay himself out to make the tackle

im not saying rogers cant tackle but smoot can tackle

smoot is a good CB but he needs a good Defensive system to be as effective as he ever was here

Rogers certainly hasn't played as well as Smoot did for us. Smoot was the best player on defense we had the last two years he was here. He was awful in Minnesota. Rogers has more raw talent than Smoot, but, I'd rather have Smoot and have taken Merriman to be honest. Then, not have had to sign Carter. Given how things worked out we did the right thing, but, being able to keep Smoot could have altered a number of events. Heck, we could even have drafted Rogers and had both :).
what he said

smoot was a very good corner for us who would even play solid while hurt and would be lay himself out to make the tackle if he had too and would rarely get burned in this system but not like how he got abused in minnesota where there defense was terrible with the exception of winfield and sharper

I'm not gonna disrespect Smoot. When he was here, he was a really good cover corner, even if it was against the second WR's. I haven't been too impressed with Rogers's man to man skills. But I do think Rogers is better for Williams's defense.

But don't act like when Smoot was here yal wasn't out there screaming "SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT"

Just keep it real.

Smoot was a dominating, shut down player the last two years here. He only struggled the year before that when he was a little dinged up and was great prior to that. Griffin was certainly as good a player as there was in the league at his position in 2004, but, he wasn't here in 2003. Pierce didn't do anything in 2003. Washington wasn't here in 2003. Smoot was the best player we had his last two years here, because of the players we had over the same period, none compared to his performance.

Ahhh!! a little play on words, OK if your talking about a 2 year span you may be right. I don't know about "shut down" though. He was our best corner in 2004, but do you think he was the best defensive player in 2004?

People talk about Smoot getting burned by Steve Smith, and praise Rogers for his play in Tampa, but wasn't that play only a recovery from getting burned by a crappy WR.

If Rogers had been convering Steve Smith instead, that pass is caught. Even if Smoot got burned by Steve Smith, does that make him a bad corner? There was a guy named Darrell Green who got Burned by Michael Irvin a few times; does that make Darrell a crappy corner?

Ever since Smoot came into the league, he has been praised for his cover ability. I haven't seen Rogers match that yet. But I have seen Rogers take a much more physical attitude at the CB position. So for our scheme, Rogers is better, but I dont think that means he's a better corner than Smoot.

Carlos is infinitely more physical than Smoot. Smoot would try to throw a shoulder into the ball carrier and get hurt or dive at his legs and sometimes hit, or sometimes miss. Carlos was a rookie last year and I think has much more of an upside. It will be an interesting matchup to watch him and Smoot go head to head on Monday Night Football...Smoot hasn't been thrown out of Minnesota for the Love Boat incident has he? I gaurentee you he was behind the whole thing, didn't he put it on his credit card or something?

Smoot is a very good cover corner, but Carlos is much bigger, and I see his coverage skills getting better as he gets more NFL experience. He made some damn good plays against Drew Brees and Sandiego though, he's one hell of an athlete. I'd say Smoot is a poor man's Deion Sanders, Carlos Rogers fits our system better, more like Shawn Springs.

There was a guy named Darrell Green who got Burned by Michael Irvin a few times; does that make Darrell a crappy corner?

Smoots NO Darrell Green!!!

Yes, Michael got the best of DG a few times, but I don't remember Irvin getting 200 yards on him. Maybe he did and I don't remember, does anyone remember Michael Irvin getting 200+ yards on Darrell? :whoknows:

Smoots NO Darrell Green!!!

Yes, Michael got the best of DG a few times, but I don't remember Irvin getting 200 yards on him. Maybe he did and I don't remember, does anyone remember Michael Irvin getting 200+ yards on Darrell?

But every CB get burned and every CB has a bad game. Maybe it wasn't 200 yards. Maybe it was 3 TDs. Maybe it was the game-winning TD.

All I'm saying is that Smoot was one of the top cover corners when he left here. People seem to forget that since he had a bad year in Minnesota. But if I was to ask you the same thing about Carlos Rogers, people wouldn't put him amongst the top cover corners. He doesn't play that way. He's a physical corner who fits our defense better than Smoot.

But he'll get burned too. Its part of the business. The good CBs know how to forget a bad play quickly and learn from it so that its not a consistent thing.

I'm sorry but Fred Smoot was a hell of a player for the Skins. In the 4 seasons he was here he had 3 very, very, very good years. The only year he had any problems was his 2nd season. He was voted the Defensive MVP by the players in 2003 and that was a defense that had Champ Bailey and Lavar Arrington. He was just as good in 2004.

The only problem I have with Fred Smoot is his smallish frame. I think in the long run it will lead to injuries. I don't know what you guys were watching but Smoot actually did a pretty good job tackling his last couple of seasons. I remember the Bears game two years ago when playing with two hurt shoulders he still made some big tackles. He played through a seriously bruised sternum in 2003.

And to the people who say he is a "system" CB, then why was he very, very good in 3 different systems while he was here? I didn't get to see enough Viking games last year to see what happened to him so I can make a true judgement on it so I won't.

Don't get me wrong, I like Carlos Rogers and think that he looked like he could be very good but he's got a ways to go to get to Smoot's level when he was here. He is better hitter but he's got to play more before we can honestly anoint him as the next great Redskins corner.

My conclusion is that I would have loved to have Smoot stay but since he left the Skins look to have made a good choice to replace him.

Archived