Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the best virus protection software

Chief skin

I've been using Symantec for years. Love it, have never had any problems with it. Can't say the same for McAfee. I tried it and for some reason it would let me know I had a virus....after I had it.

I use symantec but would only recommend that and not Norton. It all depends how much control you want. Mcafee is great but I dont use it because it runs in the background all the time and takes up memory. Im all about free stuff so I recommend spy bot and adaware

I have been using a trial 90 day period of pc-cillin internet security and would like to know if there is anything better and cheaper out there. What is everyone else using and do you like, recomend it?

I just recently changed over to McAfee after years of using Norton. Comcast is my ISP and they now offer it for free to ALL of their customers.

Rumor in the Bay area is that Symantec is going to be going through a huge lawsuite for adding in small bits of advertisement adware in their software.

I have:

Norton Antivirus $40

Norton Firewall $40

Norton Ghost $40

All 3 for $100

Webroot Spysweeper $40

Pestpatrol

Ad-Aware SE P

SpyBot

Ewido

SpyWare Guard

AVG is good for temporary use but will never compete with the definition file of norton....there's like a 6 meg difference......

SpySweeper detects 134,000+ traces, with PP close behind

ad-aware, Spybot, spyware guard & Ewido are free

Zone Alarm is a decent alt to NFW if you can't get it immediately......

anything other is useless, & the reason I'm still in business......:laugh:....b/c ppl swear by garbage......

P.S. anyone who cry about how norton messed up their computer or uses too much memory needs to upgrade.....

I just recently changed over to McAfee after years of using Norton. Comcast is my ISP and they now offer it for free to ALL of their customers.

Rumor in the Bay area is that Symantec is going to be going through a huge lawsuite for adding in small bits of advertisement adware in their software.

All AV and spyware programs do this......No doubt in my mind......heck I thought it was common knowledge that McAfee was doing it teamed up w/ aol and Intel :doh:

thank God those bastages are going to mac eh..... :applause:

For me norton is the biggest hunk of junk software out there, i paid for my subscription to them had it on my machine, they gave me a notice of a free upgrade for paid subscribers, so i upgraded and it wanted a new key, nothing i could do i even called them, they gave me a new key and it wouldn't say i was in paid mode i lost support, i kept calling them they gave me another new # after a large amount of convincing because they treated me like i was lying.

so when all was said and done i had to repurchase it, then it kept locking up my machine, yadda, yadda, yadda, i really felt scammed, i will never buy another symantec piece of software..

finally i just deleted it and got Avast for free and my machine has never run so smooth, Norton is a massive resources hog..

I like the Zone Alarm Security Suite myself.

I was using Norton but it was killing my computer, it did a great job in protecting but hurt my processing. Now I use Zone Alarm and love it so far.

All the products do the same thing, you just need to know how to use the software, out of the box settings are not enough.

FYI For people in the Army, while we are on this topic. Be advised if you already dont know that Symantec and Mcafee are free to you on AKO by clicking on the antivirus link on the left. Not too sure about other branches. I just find it crazy how many people buy it at AAFES without even knowing that its free for you.

AVG is good. Norton is decent too.

McAffee just never impresses. Not that it does a crappy job, just no one I've ever known that has used it has been happy with that.

Regarding Norton though.... The suites of software (Internet Security), or even coupled together, can be very cumbersome for your system... If you really wanna install and run all of those programs in the background, go ahead and invest in some ram while you're investing in security software.

A Mac. :laugh:

Seriously, for the PCs at my office, we always get Norton Anti-Virus. No viruses so far. :whoknows:

Just because it doesn't alert you to their presence doesn't mean they aren't there. You may wish to use one or two other scanners as well as a dedicated anti-spyware and trojan program just to make sure.

Just because it doesn't alert you to their presence doesn't mean they aren't there. You may wish to use one or two other scanners as well as a dedicated anti-spyware and trojan program just to make sure.

yep....

that attitude is why I have a job....:laugh:....people say "well I have nothing for those people to see and take."

it''s not about what they can take for me.....lord forbid they get my extremeskins password:laugh:......it's about system performance.....

no point in paying for a PC is you don't protect it anyways......

• 2 years later...

there are people in the security side that are starting to say antivirus is becoming more of an issue in the past that we may need to worry about in the future as much, with firewall software getting more intelligent the problem is going to be spyware and bots more then viruses

Archived