Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Darrell Green?

Mr.Caish

just curious as to why you started a thread instead of checking on the site or trying google? i don't get it. but he will be first ballot for sure, then again i said that about monk :mad:

This is actually not a bad thread. I mean, I'd like to know when DG is eligible and there aren't too many threads that you can easily search for that will give you this info. I know we like to keep to board "clean", but this is useful imo.

next year i believe...he retired in 2002 so 5 yrs is up next year

So that means we have about 8 months until Petie Queen starts writing articles stating that Darrell wasn't great but just good for a really long time and the Giants were never worried about him. :jerk:

This is actually not a bad thread. I mean, I'd like to know when DG is eligible and there aren't too many threads that you can easily search for that will give you this info. I know we like to keep to board "clean", but this is useful imo.

i was curious once too, that's why i tried google, it works wonders.

and fyi, i wasn't dogging the guy, i was giving him advice;)

So that means we have about 8 months until Petie Queen starts writing articles stating that Darrell wasn't great but just good for a really long time and the Giants were never worried about him. :jerk:

I can already see his crap. Green was never a dominate shut down corner who other teams would game plan around like a Deion Sanders.

i was curious once too, that's why i tried google, it works wonders.

and fyi, i wasn't dogging the guy, i was giving him advice;)

True, but understanding that this community thrives on diverse discussion, I don't think we should try to hinder such conversation.

The thread, as you can see, has started up some sort of conversation. It would be different if he was asking the Redskins draft position, that you could easily find on Google. But this is something that a lot of people on here have questions about, and it's good conversation ... better than say; Lavar, Brunell or Who Del, threads.

I'm all for giving advice and streamlining the content that comes across the board, but I just think that sometimes people go off the deep end with policing this stuff. Especially when the thread isn't an often repeated one, or people other than the thread starter find the info useful.

2008. I believe he has to sit out five seasons (2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007).
2007, He should defineately be a first time ballot HOF member. If he is not there is something wrong with the system. I think the coaches and members of the HOF should vote not the media.:logo:

Is it 2007, or 2008? I tend to agree with the latter, as it is 5 years after he retired, but are people eligible the fifth year, or after the fifth year? :whoknows:

Darrell will be a first ballot HOFer. 2 Superbowls, big time contributions in those games as well as being a huge contributor in the playoffs. If DG is not a first ballot HOFer, something is seriously wrong with the system. I hope Monk gets in before 2008, but if not, it would be pretty cool to see both go in at the same time. :)

EDIT: Mr. Caish -- you may want to edit the thread title to make it more indicative of your thread topic, i.e. "When is Darrell Green eligible for the Hall of Fame?"

It's 2008. You have to sit out 5 seasons. Example: Dan Marino. His last season was 1999. He was in the class of 2005.

From the HOF web site:

The only restriction is that a player must have been retired at least five years before he can be considered. For example, a candidate for the 2006 class must have concluded his career not later than the 2000 season.

The voting will start in 2007, but DG (or dgreen) will enter in 2008.

In addition to winning 2 Super Bowls, he was also the NFL's fastest man I think 3 times. The last 5 years of his career were obviously not that great but to suit it up at age 42 is pretty amazing. Wasn't he like #3 on the 70 greatest Redskins list or something?

No offense to Art MOnk, who I think should be in the HOF by now, but DG dominated for a dozen years. He has an amzing high light reel...running down Dorsett on MNF, running down Dickerson in the wild card game in 1986, the punt return against Chicago a week later...not to mention playing man coverage against the opposing team's top receiver for 10 years...ie, Jerry Rice, Willie Gault, Ron Brown, Roy Green and coubntless others.

In addition to winning 2 Super Bowls, he was also the NFL's fastest man I think 3 times. The last 5 years of his career were obviously not that great but to suit it up at age 42 is pretty amazing. Wasn't he like #3 on the 70 greatest Redskins list or something?

Actually, I thought he was pretty amazing right up until the end of his career.

In 1997 he made the pro-bowl as a starter.

In 1998 Green blanketed Randy Moss so badly Moss claimed Green was the toughest CB he ever faced.

In 1999 Green was the ONLY player int he secondary to not leave the field with 'leg cramps' in the infamous opener against Dallas.

In 2000, Green, playing with a pulled hammy injury absolutely shut down St. Louis' Az Hakim (2 catches for 13 yards - his worst output of the season to that point), even though the high-powered Rams knew Green had an injury most players wouldn't even take the field with and tried to pick on him all night long.

In 2001 he picked off McNabb in week 14, extending his streak of seasons with an INT to 19.

That's just stuff off the top of my head. True, Green didn't sustain brilliance the way he had in the 80s and early 90s, but he still showed flashes, even when he was in his 40s. I have already started to hear rumblings that Green was simply an above average player who played for a long time. I sincerely hope that a smear campaign against Green doesn't take hold the way it has against Monk.

Peter King: Darrell Green did not have the size or the talent to be a first ballot. NOR THE SPEED! For instance, he let Tony Dorset run by him in the MNF opener in 1983. Cris Dishman would ahve stoped him after a modest 15 yrd gain. I am sorry but Darrell Green is an average player who shyed away from tackles. That is why he hung around for 20 years! The guy never played. His career is as laughable as my tiny genitals.

Archived