Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brunell and his knee

fuji869

It's privilege to have you here Mr. Brunell; as it is to have your son leading our football team.

IMO, Mark is still a top-notch NFL quarterback when his legs are healthy. I don't think it's any coincidence that his performance started to suffer only after the knee injury in NY last year. If our O-line can keep him from taking too many shots, especially to his legs, I can see him having a monster season in 2006-07.

Thanks for taking the time to give us the update. We fans were awfully hard on Mark two years ago. I'm not sure if I, as a father, could "forgive and forget," as you seem to have done.

You and your son are pure class. :cheers:

Brunell validated everything I said in support of him his first year last season. And I look forward to hearing even more of you eat crow (or as an alternative choice, just shutting up and giving him credit when its earned) this coming season :)

I think the concerns about the knee are well-founded. But beyond those concerns (which as Bulldog and others have pointed out exist with nearly every NFL QB - its a physical game after all), I think we've got one of the top 5 QBs in the league leading our Skins.

I'm not sure if you are sayin I'm eating crow on this, I don't remember if I did/didn't bash brunell on here, although mods seem to know more about peoples' past posts then they do. :laugh: I usually find myself defending him against people such as BrunellSuperbowl :doh: (ya go figure that one out :laugh: a basher with his name and superbowl as a screen name).

Brunell is an unexciting, unexplosive quarterback and there is mildly based proof that he does not always look for every receiver. He is a seasoned vet and gets the job done, limiting his mistakes, that says enough as well as his stats. Now, I was disappointed when Brunell came here, and although I don't remember bashing him on here (although I may have) I'll be honest, I wanted him to be at best a backup to Ramsey before he started his first game here. More out of being a Ramsey fan then anything, I've always believed in Pat and still do.

I'm too lazy to go back and check to see what I've posted about brunell before, but regardless of what i said or thought he's impressed me, as well as made me pretty upset at times by throwin the ball away or taking sacks, but also with his leadership and all the great things he's done here. He's been a huge part of what's starting here, and will continue to be.

If no one else has, I'll be the first to eat crow, regardless of whether or not I actually said anything about him on here about Brunell. I still wish Ramsey an amazing career with the Jets, I still can't wait to see Campbell explode onto the scene as a skin, but right now Brunell is the MAN.

I think we can all relax. Brunell will give us the best chance to win if he is healthy. He has more than proven his ability to lead and win games. I just think everyone is uncertain what the future brings with regard to Brunell's durability. The concern(s) are certainly warranted and only time will tell what obstacles, if any, his knee brings throughout the season. No doubt injuries to his leg/knee affect his ability to perform well in a given game. The important thing is for the staff to recognize when, if the time comes, to pull Brunell.

I believe that Mark Brunell will be the one to get us to where it is we need to go this year. I put alot of emphasis on the word "believe" for the simple fact of when Rich Gannon got the Raiders to the SB in 2002. It's been proven that if you surround yourself with great talent, remain healthy and proactive, then achievements are inevitable. Age is not the benefactor- so please stop mentioning the fact the man is 35 years of age and is "over the hill". Open you eyes and see what the issues were last year! :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

Guest santana4prez
This is Mark's dad

To give all of you a history on Mark's right knee (all of his knee injuries have been the right knee or the lead knee in his throwing motion).

He has not had any surgeries since between his sophmore and junior years at the University of Washinton. In spring practice he was injured which required reconstuction of the ACL and MCL ligament. He has worn a brace in all practices and games since that time, with one exception...the rose bowl of his senior year, because as he said, he started w/o a brace at the UW and he was leaving w/o a brace.

In the season of 2004 it was a hamstring and I think no qb is the same with knee/leg injuries. They do their best, but have to compensate so much that their timing and accuarcy is sometimes off.

This past season against the Giants is was a strain of the MCL, the inside supporting ligament of the knee. It didn't and doesn't require surgery, just rest. At the end of the season, what most of the players need for various injuries is rest, but they don't have the time, so they go on and do their best.

He's had plenty of rest, and is ready to go...He will be 36 on Sept. 17. He is getting older, but in many ways with experience/knowledge and decision making he's better than he was when he was 26.

Mr Brunell,

Thanks for your information on Brunells injury history and outlook to next season. Watching Mark Brunell last season showed my his performance in 2004 was because of the hamstring injury. I started to have doubts in 2004 but last season Mark proved me wrong and he still can play at a pro bowl level. I really thing Mark Brunell is going to have a great year in 2006 and I cant wait for the season to get started. Thanks again for posting here on ExtremeSkins I look forward to seeing more of your posts!!!

santana4prez

Brunell's injury last year on the hit by Griesen would have affected ANY quarterback in the NFL heading into the playoffs. Whether Mark was 25 or 35, 6'0 or 6'5, it wouldn't have made much difference. The hit affected his play and that was obvious as the week before he threw 4 touchdowns against Dallas and was able to move outside the pocket to make plays, and then after the hit he was as immobile as Drew Bledsoe.

The biggest mistake fans can make is generalizing a specific and limited injury into something that will affect a player's career going forward. There does not seem to be much concern about any lingering effects from the knee injury. Mark did not have offseason surgery on the knee.

I think he will be fine. Is he as physically sound over a 12 year career as Brett Favre has been? No.

But no one else has either.

Donovan McNabb, Daunte Culpepper, Michael Vick............all these guys are great athletes under 30 and all have suffered serious injuries the past couple of years. Nobody seems to be writing them off just yet.

Couldn't he have just taken a pain killing injection like McNabb did earlier in the year? Then his play wouldn't have been affected.

Archived