Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brunell and his knee

fuji869

A guy at work was telling that when Mark Brunell was playing college ball at University of Washington he suffered a serious season ending knee injury.

When he played with Jacksonville I remember hearing that he wears a knee brace when ever he plays.

That could explain a lot about the past two seasons. Remember he hurt his knee in against the Giants in Week 2 of the 2004 Season and never got on track that season and was almost run out of D.C. Then hurt his knee again against Giants in 05 and struggled in the remaining 3 games.

brunnellwash8x10.jpg

There are two knees. Are we sure all the problems are to the same one? :)

As to the injury against the Giants late last year, it came on a play where a defensive player submarined in low and hit the knee as it was planted to throw, which could and looked like it would have injured ANY QB. What we don't necessarily know is then 1) if the hit was to the "bad" knee, and if so, to what extent it could have been made worse by any preexisting condition.

Before he hurt it last season I do not think he wore the brace, only wearin it after to prevent further damage.....

As far as I can remember, He's always worn a knee brace on his right knee since he's been a pro and most, if not all of his college career.

There are two knees. Are we sure all the problems are to the same one? :)

As to the injury against the Giants late last year, it came on a play where a defensive player submarined in low and hit the knee as it was planted to throw, which could and looked like it would have injured ANY QB. What we don't necessarily know is then 1) if the hit was to the "bad" knee, and if so, to what extent it could have been made worse by any preexisting condition.

Yea it was a pretty narly hit.

Also, it's a bit funny that someone is referencing an injury in college and wondering if it could affect his pro career, 14 years later....

Yea it was a pretty narly hit.

Also, it's a bit funny that someone is referencing an injury in college and wondering if it could affect his pro career, 14 years later....

Not to be glib, but I am paying today for injuries suffered 20+ years ago. Aren't you? They come back to haunt. Of course, Brunell has had a very good career. But those old injuries may be catching up.

I think this thread gets to the heart of the biggest concern facing the Skins next season. When Brunell's knee is right, he's great. When it's not, the offense shrinks down to a point where it seems happy just to not turn it over and punt. At some point I would think the coach's would rather have a healthy (although inexperienced) Campbell out there than this old guy that has to wind up like [catfish hunter, goose gossage, dave righetti, tommy john, ron guidry] just to get off a decent pass.

Remember he hurt his knee in against the Giants in Week 2 of the 2004 Season and never got on track that season and was almost run out of D.C.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Mark hurt is hamstring early in 2004, not his knee.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Mark hurt is hamstring early in 2004, not his knee.

yes, I thought I heard Gibbs mention before that he hurt is left hamstring to where it was sore all season, which prevented him from planting properly.

The point is - we need to keep him healthy.

yes, I thought I heard Gibbs mention before that he hurt is left hamstring to where it was sore all season, which prevented him from planting properly.

The point is - we need to keep him healthy.

You guys are absolutely correct. He nursed a hamstring injury his first year, and the knee thing happened last year.

With Brunell, age is the concern with any injury. Healing happens slower, it's a biological, mathematical certainty. He has heart, and bravado, but that will only get you so far in this league. He must get into camp and get into the best shape he ever has to play this entire season.

I think he can do it. What I am unsure of, is how long he can play without reinjuring something. No one can be sure of that. This team has a lot riding on his health this season.

It does not matter which knee, or leg or whatever gets injured. The bottom line is Brunnell should not be playing with an injury to his legs. I hope coach Joe realises that this year. Loyalty be damned, you play the guy who gives you the best chance to win. Gibbs has said that time and again. Well, minus the loyalty be damned part anyway. Brunnell does not give us the best chance when he's injured. Not his fault, but also not the coaches problem. I think we may have been able to beat the Seahawks with Ramsey, but they refused to try it, even though Brunnell was obviousaly not himself.

Brunell's injury last year on the hit by Griesen would have affected ANY quarterback in the NFL heading into the playoffs. Whether Mark was 25 or 35, 6'0 or 6'5, it wouldn't have made much difference. The hit affected his play and that was obvious as the week before he threw 4 touchdowns against Dallas and was able to move outside the pocket to make plays, and then after the hit he was as immobile as Drew Bledsoe.

The biggest mistake fans can make is generalizing a specific and limited injury into something that will affect a player's career going forward. There does not seem to be much concern about any lingering effects from the knee injury. Mark did not have offseason surgery on the knee.

I think he will be fine. Is he as physically sound over a 12 year career as Brett Favre has been? No.

But no one else has either.

Donovan McNabb, Daunte Culpepper, Michael Vick............all these guys are great athletes under 30 and all have suffered serious injuries the past couple of years. Nobody seems to be writing them off just yet.

Guest amaprius
The hit affected his play and that was obvious as the week before he threw 4 touchdowns against Dallas and was able to move outside the pocket to make plays, and then AFTER the hit he was as immobile as Drew Bledsoe.....

Donovan McNabb, Daunte Culpepper, Michael Vick............all these guys are great athletes UNDER 30 and all have suffered serious injuries the past couple of years. Nobody seems to be writing them off just yet.

You hit the nail on the head when you said those guys were under 30....MB is over 30 and at the end of his career while those guys have some time left, are more mobile and heal quicker.

Brunell DOES normally wear a brace and he said himself that the hit he took against NY last year would have hurt him way worse had he not been wearing the brace.

And it WAS a hamstring injury in 2004 and had nothing to do with his knee.

That said, I don't think it's Brunell's injuries that are the problem. He has said this himself.

In 2004, we just flat out sucked on offense. He cannot be a productive QB on a bad offense. He needs players around him.

In 2005, Brunell looked great until defenses finally realized all they had to do was smother Moss and cover Cooley. Then Brunell had nowhere to go.

In 2006, Brunell will have plenty of weapons around him he can get the ball to. That's what he needs...he is not a guy who can do it himself at this point in his career.

Absolutely true; bad call by Gibbs, both for the game and for future of both Brunell and Ramsey. We were lucky Brunell wasn't hurt worse, and hurt Ramsey's trade value and rep by the slight-- especially since Ramsey had been outstanding in relief of Brunell against the Giants. That move by Gibbs made Ramsey's leaving certain, which could really hurt us this year. I think its one of the worse coaching moves I've seen in football since Allen benched Sonny for Kilmer and thereby tossed away three or four TD's a game.

My point was that Brunell's injury was NOT as serious as those suffered by Culpepper or McNabb and therefore a lot of the hand-wringing by Skins fans was unnecessary :)

The only hangup some Skins fans seem to have is Brunell's age. If Brunell was 30 instead of 35 these same fans would be drooling over the 23/11 td/int ratio from 2005 and betting that without the knee injury against the Giants Brunell would have taken the Redskins to the Super Bowl :laugh:

My point was that Brunell's injury was NOT as serious as those suffered by Culpepper or McNabb and therefore a lot of the hand-wringing by Skins fans was unnecessary :)

The only hangup some Skins fans seem to have is Brunell's age. If Brunell was 30 instead of 35 these same fans would be drooling over the 23/11 td/int ratio from 2005 and betting that without the knee injury against the Giants Brunell would have taken the Redskins to the Super Bowl :laugh:

Woulda, coulda, shoulda...didn't.:) He is an old man. So am I. Things hurt a lot more now than they did 10 years ago.

If protected I have no problem with him, he's a good QB to be sure, but he's gonna get hit eventually. And he won't take it, whatever the shot, as well as a younger guy. He has shown that the injury, while apparently not serious enough to require surgery, had a major effect on his game. That's all I'm sayin.

I think we are in better shape backup wise than most...let's see Campbell play before we accuse him of being a downgrade from Ramsey.

Every NFL QB MUST be protected. Brunell is no different from any other QB. Injury to the legs cuts his gameplay in half, if not worse. Same can be said for any starting QB. Protection of your starting QB has always been a focal point for every team. In fact, numbers would suggest, the better protection, the better performance of the QB in general, the better record of the team, and the farther they go in the postseason. It's easier said then done, though.

it doesn't matter what he hurt, anything in the legs affects how you throw. Not just a football, but in ANY sport. I agree, we must protect Brunell this season if we want to have Super Bowl/Playoff aspirations. I hope the Dirtbags set a goal of 9 sacks, and come damn close, tie, or beat it :)

If they can manage less than 9 sacks on Brunell all season, and more importantly only a handful of "rushes of the QB" a game.....There is no doubt in my mind this team will be in the Superbowl. :applause:

Although I am not much of a Brunell fan, I have a great deal of confidence in Coach Gibbs. Lets remember that he is the man who won 3 Super Bowls with 3 different quarterbacks. We have been blessed with Super Bowl victories via Gibbs with the likes of Williams and Schroeder. These guys were both average quarterbacks who were brought to greatness by Coach Gibbs.

If Joe Gibbs says that Brunell is the right guy for the job, then that is the way it is.

Lets remember that he is the man who won 3 Super Bowls with 3 different quarterbacks.

Could anyone POSSIBLY forget that on this board? It seems to be posted in nearly every thread along with 'Well, I trust Gibbs more than I trust you" and "I trust in Gibbs, he is a Hall of Fame coach, you know" etc etc :wavetowel :) :)

Archived