Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The movie Slither is getting very good reviews!

Destino

damn im surprised. i saw the trailer at the movies a couple months back and i thought it would get basked. i hardly remember seeing another trailer on tv for it. its pretty wierd. well ill probably go watch it. i like horror movies with humor. good stuff

While I love horror movies, I'll skip this one.

I hate slimy slithering things.

The scene from Wrath of Khan still gives me the willies.

Gives you the willies? Imagine how I felt when one night not long after that movie came out I was sleeping in a rustic country house as a kid; I woke up screaming with a terrible pain in my ear, ran down stairs to the bathroom and began pounding the side of my head until a beetle/bug of some sort fell out and I washed it down the drain. Highly disconcerting. The next day we removed the mattress and found a whole bunch of the beetles/bugs living there. :shudder:

Gives you the willies? Imagine how I felt when one night not long after that movie came out I was sleeping in a rustic country house as a kid; I woke up screaming with a terrible pain in my ear, ran down stairs to the bathroom and began pounding the side of my head until a beetle/bug of some sort fell out and I washed it down the drain. Highly disconcerting. The next day we removed the mattress and found a whole bunch of the beetles/bugs living there. :shudder:
wow that is terrible! :laugh:

On metacritic it's only getting a 69. This indicates that it's getting a lot of reviews that are ultimately positive, but with strong reservations. Rotten Tomatoes just stamps the word "positive" or "negative" on each review and tells you what percentage is positive. Metacritic assigns a numerical value on a scale of 1-100 to each review and gives you the average.

It seems like every year there's a movie that gets completely unwarranted insanely good reviews. I haven't seen it, but it seems like it might be slither this year. Last year it was the 40 year old virgin. 2 years ago it was Garden State.

That's the spirit

I was just kidding though, you should obey your parents. Not that you care what I think or anything. I'm almost old.

oh bs, don't believe nostril when he says "obey your parents" he means disobey your parents. Trust me.

edit: you can see slither you just need to go to the movie theater that has the unscrupulous usher or just get a movie ticket for a different movie and sneak in... not that i did this to go see terminator 2 twice

It seems like every year there's a movie that gets completely unwarranted insanely good reviews. I haven't seen it, but it seems like it might be slither this year. Last year it was the 40 year old virgin. 2 years ago it was Garden State.

Ummm...40 Year Old Virgin was hilarious, and Garden State was awesome as well. Not sure what two movies you had in mind, but it clearly wasn't those two.

About this movie...looks like a movie that I'll end up watching all drunk at some party or something...:laugh:

Wow! Someone else!! The docs told me that they see it all the time, so I shouldn't even be worried. Well, that was 10 years ago and China is first person since who has a story that I can relate too.

Here's the real question China...how many nights after that did you lie awake all night with toilet paper stuffed in your ears before you could get a good nights sleep?

Ummm...40 Year Old Virgin was hilarious, and Garden State was awesome as well. Not sure what two movies you had in mind, but it clearly wasn't those two.

or maybe his opinion is different?:whoknows: i've seen neither, but everyone i've talked to agrees w/ you jrock, especially re: the 40 year old virgin. i need to see it.

About this movie...looks like a movie that I'll end up watching all drunk at some party or something...:laugh:

You know how in Old School the movie was only funny when Will Ferrell was on the screen, and Luke Wilson(who I usually like) and Vince Vaughn just sucked up screen space. Well, 40 Year Old Virgin was like that, but with Seth Rogan being the funny guy. However, at least for Old School Will Ferrell was a main character.

Coming from someone who digs Ingmar Bergman movies, Garden State is a pretentious, unfocused piece of driftwood, that didn't know how end. Natalie Portman gives a pretty good, but extremely irritating performance. I'm actually really curious about what people find so awesome about this movie. 40 Year Old Virgin I understand. movies like that are almost completely subjective, it's just "did it strike you as funny." But I don't see what people like about Garden State. It's just a bunch of diseperate ideas thrown together into nothing meaningful.

Ill be seeing it today. Looks like it will be fun. :)

Here a review.....

Boyos--

I guess horror movies are like anything else, they go in cycles. We've had this whole drought where it seemed like there was nothing but sissy PG-13 studio horror, and lots of horror fans whining. Now the harsher R-rated horror movies are starting to trickle back in, and a whole other set of people get their chance to whine. (It turns out that our society is just now going down the ****ter because there's a movie where mutant cannibals are mean to a baby. Even though it's a remake of a 30 year old movie about mutant cannibals being mean to a baby.) Anyway, now with SLITHER we get back another old buddy we haven't seen in so long we almost forgot about him: the funny horror movie.

Horror and comedy are a tough mix. There are different ways to balance it. I like the serious horror but on those rare occasions when they got the perfect balance, it's a sight to behold. To me AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON is the top of the line. It's very funny but the laughs come from serious horror situations. To me it's more of a horror movie than a comedy. Perfect. Another good one is RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD, but I think they tip it too much with all that punk rock ****. "Does this look like a ****in COSTUME?" Still great, but too goofy to take seriously. But the opening scene, up until the credits, is a perfect balance. I think EVIL DEAD 2 has it just right too, although most people seem to think it's more comedy and less horror than I think it is.

I guess the most significant recent attempt at comedy and horror is SHAUN OF THE DEAD, but I gotta be honest. This ain't gonna win me any friends around here, but I don't think that one counts. Sure it's funny and worth watching. But even if the zombies look legit, the characters and what they do and say are sitcom through and through. It works as comedy but not as horror. It's a tribute or a parody but not the real thing.

This one is the reverse of AMERICAN WEREWOLF: it works as both but it definitely leans alot harder on the laffs. The only good comparison I can think of is TREMORS, but alot more disgusting. The story itself is clearly influenced by THE THING, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS and others. Some people said NIGHT OF THE CREEPS but I ain't gonna lie, I never seen it. So I'll just make a guess and say no, NIGHT OF THE CREEPS was not an influence in any way. Anyway, it's basically a mix of existing elements but I thought they were put together in a clever and entertaining way, and also refreshing since you don't see too many movies like this these days.

It's gonna be better for you to see it without knowing what exactly is gonna happen, but here's the gist of it. Michael Rooker (HENRY: PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER [part 1 only]) plays the dude who, in a classic THE BLOB type scenario, gets too curious about the slimy thing that crawled out of a meteor. Next thing you know an outer space worm thing has penetrated his brain and he begins a slow transformation to freaky alien overlord that will continue all the way through to the end of the movie. The biggest twist is that as he turns into a more and more disgusting monster, he remains stuck on his wife (Elizabeth Banks, who played some character only you guys would remember in the SPIDER-MAN trilogy). At first he tries to work it out and just hide his condition from her. Later it's clear it's not gonna work but he still pines for her. Maybe the cleverest joke in the movie is when he's spawned an army of zombies but they all share a brain, so instead of saying "Brains!" like in RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD they mostly whine "Starla!"

When I say it's influenced by THE THING, I don't mean it has any of the sense of dread that makes that thing so great. But it's rare to see a movie really follow in that tradition of crazy, over the top special effects mayhem. So this one definitely deserves some credit. I mean I'm talkin tentacles left and right, giant blobs, piles of wiggly slugs, bladders and slime. And it's a good balance of rubber and computers. You don't get much of a chance to get bored of the creatures because this alien's reproduction process spans the whole movie, and manages to involve a constantly mutating Rooker, lots of slugs, zombies, killer animals, and more. Something for everyone.

There's even a nice part where you get a glimpse of the aliens doing their thing on some strange species on another planet. I always wished they would make an ALIEN movie on the planet where those space jockey dudes live. No humans, just a WALKING WITH DINOSAURS type nature doctumentary. That ain't gonna happen so maybe I should start wishing for a SLITHER 2 on the planet of the whatever the **** these things are.

By the way, if you're wondering what happened to the apartment building and the pervert spying on Sharon Stone with security cameras, you're thinking of SLIVER. This is similar though.

Where the TREMORS part comes in is the characters, who are goofy and have lots of funny lines and quirks. The hero is the chief of police played by Nathan Fillion (DRACULA 2000, etc.) and I was happy to also see Gregg Henry (Mal from PAYBACK) as the mayor, who constantly calls people "**********." I wonder if Gregg Henry enjoys exclusively playing prick roles? Or does he just take the jobs he can get? Does he always long to play a nice, polite fellow, instead of weirdos in Brian DePalma movies? Anyway, the story is mostly that crazy **** happens and then they all react to it. My favorite part is when they first spot Rooker running across a field waving a goofy tentacle off the top of his head. I like how the director shoots it from a distance so you can sort of put yourself in the character's shoes, watching this weird ass **** go down across the field.

The writer slash director is James Gunn, who got his start with TROMEO AND JULIET and throws a couple nods to Troma in here. There oughta be some kind of Most Improved ribbon or lapel pin for this dude. Because first of all, almost nobody goes from Troma to serious mainstream success. I know the guy who directed ROCKY did a movie with Lloyd Kaufman, but that was before Troma so it doesn't count. Anyway, forget Troma, this is the guy who wrote SCOOBY DOO 1-2, that's a stigma you gotta work hard to overcome. Okay, so I haven't seen those movies. But I don't expect anybody is gonna tell me my assumption is wrong.

So after writing the surprisingly unsucky DAWN OF THE DEAD remake and now directing this one, I think he has earned his stripes, or at least one stripe. Maybe he has earned his two fairly thin stripes. Or one fat one. He earned something, anyway. I'm willing to give the guy a chance. SLITHER is no classic but it's a fun time at the movies. People who like a fun time at the movies will have a fun time at it, in my opinion. Also there's a part with a deer monster.

thanks boys,

Vern

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=22904

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=reviews&id=6307

Even though I liked the Dawn of the Dead remake, James Gunn hasn't done anything to impress me. There was nothing that particularly good about the writing in the Dawn of the Dead remake, the success of that movie had to do with strong direction.

And it had a really good trailer.

Ill be seeing it today. Looks like it will be fun. :)

Here a review.....

Boyos--

I guess horror movies are like anything else, they go in cycles. We've had this whole drought where it seemed like there was nothing but sissy PG-13 studio horror, and lots of horror fans whining. Now the harsher R-rated horror movies are starting to trickle back in, and a whole other set of people get their chance to whine. (It turns out that our society is just now going down the ****ter because there's a movie where mutant cannibals are mean to a baby. Even though it's a remake of a 30 year old movie about mutant cannibals being mean to a baby.) Anyway, now with SLITHER we get back another old buddy we haven't seen in so long we almost forgot about him: the funny horror movie.

Horror and comedy are a tough mix. There are different ways to balance it. I like the serious horror but on those rare occasions when they got the perfect balance, it's a sight to behold. To me AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON is the top of the line. It's very funny but the laughs come from serious horror situations. To me it's more of a horror movie than a comedy. Perfect. Another good one is RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD, but I think they tip it too much with all that punk rock ****. "Does this look like a ****in COSTUME?" Still great, but too goofy to take seriously. But the opening scene, up until the credits, is a perfect balance. I think EVIL DEAD 2 has it just right too, although most people seem to think it's more comedy and less horror than I think it is.

I guess the most significant recent attempt at comedy and horror is SHAUN OF THE DEAD, but I gotta be honest. This ain't gonna win me any friends around here, but I don't think that one counts. Sure it's funny and worth watching. But even if the zombies look legit, the characters and what they do and say are sitcom through and through. It works as comedy but not as horror. It's a tribute or a parody but not the real thing.

This one is the reverse of AMERICAN WEREWOLF: it works as both but it definitely leans alot harder on the laffs. The only good comparison I can think of is TREMORS, but alot more disgusting. The story itself is clearly influenced by THE THING, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS and others. Some people said NIGHT OF THE CREEPS but I ain't gonna lie, I never seen it. So I'll just make a guess and say no, NIGHT OF THE CREEPS was not an influence in any way. Anyway, it's basically a mix of existing elements but I thought they were put together in a clever and entertaining way, and also refreshing since you don't see too many movies like this these days.

It's gonna be better for you to see it without knowing what exactly is gonna happen, but here's the gist of it. Michael Rooker (HENRY: PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER [part 1 only]) plays the dude who, in a classic THE BLOB type scenario, gets too curious about the slimy thing that crawled out of a meteor. Next thing you know an outer space worm thing has penetrated his brain and he begins a slow transformation to freaky alien overlord that will continue all the way through to the end of the movie. The biggest twist is that as he turns into a more and more disgusting monster, he remains stuck on his wife (Elizabeth Banks, who played some character only you guys would remember in the SPIDER-MAN trilogy). At first he tries to work it out and just hide his condition from her. Later it's clear it's not gonna work but he still pines for her. Maybe the cleverest joke in the movie is when he's spawned an army of zombies but they all share a brain, so instead of saying "Brains!" like in RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD they mostly whine "Starla!"

When I say it's influenced by THE THING, I don't mean it has any of the sense of dread that makes that thing so great. But it's rare to see a movie really follow in that tradition of crazy, over the top special effects mayhem. So this one definitely deserves some credit. I mean I'm talkin tentacles left and right, giant blobs, piles of wiggly slugs, bladders and slime. And it's a good balance of rubber and computers. You don't get much of a chance to get bored of the creatures because this alien's reproduction process spans the whole movie, and manages to involve a constantly mutating Rooker, lots of slugs, zombies, killer animals, and more. Something for everyone.

There's even a nice part where you get a glimpse of the aliens doing their thing on some strange species on another planet. I always wished they would make an ALIEN movie on the planet where those space jockey dudes live. No humans, just a WALKING WITH DINOSAURS type nature doctumentary. That ain't gonna happen so maybe I should start wishing for a SLITHER 2 on the planet of the whatever the **** these things are.

By the way, if you're wondering what happened to the apartment building and the pervert spying on Sharon Stone with security cameras, you're thinking of SLIVER. This is similar though.

Where the TREMORS part comes in is the characters, who are goofy and have lots of funny lines and quirks. The hero is the chief of police played by Nathan Fillion (DRACULA 2000, etc.) and I was happy to also see Gregg Henry (Mal from PAYBACK) as the mayor, who constantly calls people "**********." I wonder if Gregg Henry enjoys exclusively playing prick roles? Or does he just take the jobs he can get? Does he always long to play a nice, polite fellow, instead of weirdos in Brian DePalma movies? Anyway, the story is mostly that crazy **** happens and then they all react to it. My favorite part is when they first spot Rooker running across a field waving a goofy tentacle off the top of his head. I like how the director shoots it from a distance so you can sort of put yourself in the character's shoes, watching this weird ass **** go down across the field.

The writer slash director is James Gunn, who got his start with TROMEO AND JULIET and throws a couple nods to Troma in here. There oughta be some kind of Most Improved ribbon or lapel pin for this dude. Because first of all, almost nobody goes from Troma to serious mainstream success. I know the guy who directed ROCKY did a movie with Lloyd Kaufman, but that was before Troma so it doesn't count. Anyway, forget Troma, this is the guy who wrote SCOOBY DOO 1-2, that's a stigma you gotta work hard to overcome. Okay, so I haven't seen those movies. But I don't expect anybody is gonna tell me my assumption is wrong.

So after writing the surprisingly unsucky DAWN OF THE DEAD remake and now directing this one, I think he has earned his stripes, or at least one stripe. Maybe he has earned his two fairly thin stripes. Or one fat one. He earned something, anyway. I'm willing to give the guy a chance. SLITHER is no classic but it's a fun time at the movies. People who like a fun time at the movies will have a fun time at it, in my opinion. Also there's a part with a deer monster.

thanks boys,

Vern

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=22904

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=reviews&id=6307

This review rules! Shaun of the Dead is awful! Return OTLD rules!!

"watch your mouth boy, if you wanna keep this job!!"

heh reminds me of a story though not as cool

When my family and I lived in Nigeria when I was a lot younger I always dreamed that ****roaches would attack me out of nowhere (and I am talking about those big FLYING ****s). Well anyway one night I was in the middle of one of those nightmares and I woke up to find one of them right on my face. I was up running and screaming in not ime, butt he damn thing wouldn't get off my face. It wasn't until I got enough courage to slap it off my face that I could get it off, but even then the thing was still chasing me through out the house for whatever reason. Needless to say, I cried like a *****.

I hate bugs, especially the flying ****roaches, can't think of anything mroe disgusting.

You know how in Old School the movie was only funny when Will Ferrell was on the screen, and Luke Wilson(who I usually like) and Vince Vaughn just sucked up screen space. Well, 40 Year Old Virgin was like that, but with Seth Rogan being the funny guy. However, at least for Old School Will Ferrell was a main character.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Vince Vaughn is a comedic genius!! I loved him in that movie!! :laugh: 40 YOV is one of the most quotable movies to come out in years...every character was funny, with the exception of the store manager.

Coming from someone who digs Ingmar Bergman movies, Garden State is a pretentious, unfocused piece of driftwood, that didn't know how end. Natalie Portman gives a pretty good, but extremely irritating performance. I'm actually really curious about what people find so awesome about this movie. 40 Year Old Virgin I understand. movies like that are almost completely subjective, it's just "did it strike you as funny." But I don't see what people like about Garden State. It's just a bunch of diseperate ideas thrown together into nothing meaningful.

Garden State was extremely good, imo. I'm not Mr. film degree like you are, so I can't break it down. I thoroughly enjoyed the plot, acting, and the soundtrack was phenomenal. And to say Garden State is pretentious after claiming to be a Bergman fan...pretty ironic. :laugh:

Archived