Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Squawk is Cheap... I guess the Eagles aren't so cheap huh?

ThePocket17

Hey ntotoro, sorry I have a life and dont sit on this message board 24/7. However looking at the date of the article and the fact that Redskins fans love to talk about how cheap the Eagles are I found this article pretty relevant. The bottom line is Redskins fans can talk about the moves that the Eagles arent making but dont realize that the moves the Redskins are making and spending money on will only make them marginally better.... We have seen it all before in Washington.

Lurie's panties are in a bundler:

"It's up to the media to educate the fans clearly and precisely on the economics of the NFL," Lurie said during a lunch break at the league meetings at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress resort. "The facts are that, in the end, every team spends [about the same amount of money each year]. It's just a matter of whether you spend it in March [on free agents] or spend it in November [on signing players to extensions]. Are you going to distribute that $90 million or $100 million or $110 million to three or four free agents in March or are you going to [distribute] it throughout your roster and by re-signing your young players?''

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If the Eagles didn't have so much cap room, this statement might be true. :doh:

Generally, being 'under the cap' means you didn't spend allocated money...spin that on Lurie.

I like this quote best.

among the highest spenders of [salary] cap dollars in the NFL this year.

Its those ugly LTBE's rearing there head again!

And as for spending the most cash other than the skins, other than him saying it I don't see any proof of it. Just have to look at the forbes data. And lets face it, he does have incentive to say this, it hurts the Eagles to be perceived as cheap by players.

He seems pretty defensive for someone who spends the second-most money...why is he even bragging about or mentioning it?

I'd be defensive if I spent the 2nd most in the NFL on player salaries in the AR era and the perception from dimwitted fans was I was cheap.

I like this quote best.

among the highest spenders of [salary] cap dollars in the NFL this year.

Its those ugly LTBE's rearing there head again!

And as for spending the most cash other than the skins, other than him saying it I don't see any proof of it. Just have to look at the forbes data. And lets face it, he does have incentive to say this, it hurts the Eagles to be perceived as cheap by players.

Good point. I bet he's just outright lieing because he'd never get called on it if it weren't true. :doh:

You guys live in fantasy land sometimes. :laugh:

Good point. I bet he's just outright lieing because he'd never get called on it if it weren't true. :doh:

You guys live in fantasy land sometimes. :laugh:

Whatever gets you through the night, it alright, its alright. - J. Lennon

I'm embarrassed for you, HOF44. That you are over 40 years old and you don't have the ability to reason. You so desperately want to believe that the Eagles are cheap that you cannot process any information to the contrary. Denial is not just a river.

Now why would you be embarrased for me??? I have looked at all the facts I can find, processed the info and come to the correct conclusion.

What was the salary cap amount you gaurenteed for this year??? We were all misinformed and unable to reason about that too. :laugh::laugh:

A straw man argument? I expect better of you......actually, no I don't. :doh:

If Lurie and Banner let independent people look through the books and they came up with the same conclusion, you still wouldn't believe it. That shows me that you aren't desiring to actually talk football coherently but would rather just talk smack and bash your rivals. Nothing wrong with that, but its just hard to take you seriously.

Quick, another witty movie line!

I'd be defensive if I spent the 2nd most in the NFL on player salaries in the AR era and the perception from dimwitted fans was I was cheap.

Really?? You'd spend time worrying about what fans from other teams said about you as an owner?? That's a bit weak of him in my opinion. If he's doing all that he can to win, why doesn't he just let his perennial playoff appearances in that timeframe speak for itself?

Really?? You'd spend time worrying about what fans from other teams said about you as an owner?? That's a bit weak of him in my opinion. If he's doing all that he can to win, why doesn't he just let his perennial playoff appearances in that timeframe speak for itself?

You don't understand. Half of the fanbase believes it. But, then again, no one has ever accused the Philly faithful of being intelligent.

You don't understand. Half of the fanbase believes it. But, then again, no one has ever accused the Philly faithful of being intelligent.

I guess I see your point, but he still shouldn't be caring too much about what the fans think.

Snyder doesn't go on the record defending his acquisitions even though half of this fanbase believes he spends outrageously.

Bottom line is Lurie shouldn't be concerning himself with what they think...if they don't agree with the success the Eagles have had since 2000, F them!

Bottom line is Lurie shouldn't be concerning himself with what they think...if they don't agree with the success the Eagles have had since 2000, F them!

Lurie should concern himself with what the fans think. They're the ones that fill the stadium.

Listen, people aren't upset that the Eagles were dominant from 2000 up until last year. They're upset because their dominance ended the same way it always does. No ultimate prize. It gets a little tiring. Especially for the older fans. Like my grandfather who's been waiting since ****ing 1960 for another championship.

Lurie and the organization bring the perception of being cheap on themselves. A lot of fans are still upset about the Bentley ordeal. Now looking back it looks like Bentley wasn't going to come here anyway. I can deal with that. I can also deal with the Eagles signing low risk, high reward type players IF it works.

The bottom line. It hasn't worked. I don't care if we win the ****ing NFC for the next ten years. If we don't have a Lombardi IT DOESNT MATTER! It's that simple.

The Eagles have repeatedly made it clear that they prefer to build through the draft, rather than hanging out at the free-agency trough like Snyder. It hasn't earned them nearly as many March headlines as the Redskins, but it has allowed them to stay in yearly playoff contention and out of salary-cap hell, and re-sign more of their players to second and third contracts than any other team in the league.

"Free agency is a tool, and you've got to utilize every single tool to succeed in this game," Lurie said. "But by far, the best tool is the draft.

Another person/writer/team/etc envious of the skins.

The skins like to build through FA and the draft, with a tilt more towards FA than the draft. That is how they want to construct a team and I really hope they win the SB because I am getting tired of everyone claiming you can only win through the draft. I think that only applies to QB’s because it is difficult to get a franchise QB in FA. Looking around the league the Patriots won with the draft a FA’s. However, they didn’t really win a SB until they got a SB QB. I have commented about this before. Also, Philly will only go as far as McNugget takes them. If he stays healthy this year I think Philly will contend for a playoff spot. However, the NFC teams are better now then when they made their run so it will be more difficult to win now.

About the article, well, the article did say the skins have spent more so as a skins fan we can call Philly cheap because, as compared to the skins spending, they are cheap. :)

Edit: To add, Pitts has had excellent drafts for years, but never won the SB until they got a SB QB.

Archived