Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bowflex

jpillian

Alright, since I got out of the Army a few years back, I've gotten miserably out of shape.

Thinking about investing in some sort of home gym -- whether bowflex or some other brand.

Just thought I'd see what sort of experiences other members on the board have had with Bowflex products in particular, and other sorts of home gym products in general.

Any and all advice appreciated.

Thanks!

:cheers:

Obviously, something like Bowflex isn't as good as free weights. The major downside to free weights in a home environment (from my perspective): 1) considerable space requirements; 2) seem to be a bit more dangerous for kids; and 3) when done properly, really requires a spotter. None of that really fits into what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for something that gives some decent resistance training in a pretty tight footprint. Hell, I just had to give up my home office to the kids for the playroom -- so space is definitely a major factor.

It looks like Bowflex or the Weider CrossBow/Bar or something similar might be right up that alley. Just looking for any personal experiences from the ES community in using these sorts of home gyms.

Bowflex is like any other machine. It helps you to use the major muscles in your body while leaving the smaller stabilizer muscles out of the loop. To properly strengthen the larger muscles the smaller ones must be able to handle the load. Smaller stabilizer muscles also help keep the joints in proper alligment. It would be my advice to start with basic core exercises and dumbbell work on a stabilization ball. You don't have to join a gym to do this. It can be done in your home. Now if you want to go the Bowflex way, I do like the new Bowflex dumbbells. Buy 1 set and your covered from 5 to 52.5 lbs. I think they are great for home use.

Bowflex is like any other machine. It helps you to use the major muscles in your body while leaving the smaller stabilizer muscles out of the loop. To properly strengthen the larger muscles the smaller ones must be able to handle the load. Smaller stabilizer muscles also help keep the joints in proper alligment. It would be my advice to start with basic core exercises and dumbbell work on a stabilization ball. You don't have to join a gym to do this. It can be done in your home. Now if you want to go the Bowflex way, I do like the new Bowflex dumbbells. Buy 1 set and your covered from 5 to 52.5 lbs. I think they are great for home use.

Good stuff -- I could see those Bowflex dumbbells coming in very handy; and I bet you're absolutely right about the small stabilizer muscles. In reality, that's probably where I need to start.

Main goal is to just get in good enough shape so that I can play some semi-competitive sports with friends every so often and not have to worry about injuring myself; and keep up with the kids as they get older. :laugh:

Good stuff -- I could see those Bowflex dumbbells coming in very handy; and I bet you're absolutely right about the small stabilizer muscles. In reality, that's probably where I need to start.

Main goal is to just get in good enough shape so that I can play some semi-competitive sports with friends every so often and not have to worry about injuring myself; and keep up with the kids as they get older. :laugh:

Then this is the route you want to take. Building the smaller muscles will help prevent the turned ankles, twisted knees. You'll have better balance, better agility and better posture. In turn, you'll have less stress on your joints.

NASMTrainer

I'm newer to weight training (I did some in High School while I played football, but never really took it seriously), and I'm trying to get in better shape, I have a bowflex at home. What exercises would you recommend that would work the stabilizer muscles and help me loose my anchor. Any advice would be helpfull, thanks.

NASMTrainer

I'm newer to weight training (I did some in High School while I played football, but never really took it seriously), and I'm trying to get in better shape, I have a bowflex at home. What exercises would you recommend that would work the stabilizer muscles and help me loose my anchor. Any advice would be helpfull, thanks.

And a follow up to the PM I sent you. As far as losing weight, there is only one way to do it. You have to burn more calories than you take in. Plain and simple. So many people think that if they go to the gym, that's all that is required, the diet is 90% of it. If you're not eating right, all the working out in the world won't do a thing.

• 1 year later...

We have a Bowflex in our weight room at work. I hate it. It seems like I spend more time changing cables and adjusting pulleys than anything else. It also seems to be made for shorter people, a few of the exercises become awkward or it just runs out of movement. If you're looking for compact exercise equipment, I'd recommend a simple bench and some adjustable dumbbells before I'd recommend a Bowflex. :2cents:

I do the gym thing now but it's a hassle to get there every day after work, then come home and get cleaned up and do dinner and all that. I was just figuring with some home equipment, I can get a workout at home while spending just as much per month as I would with my gym membership.

Come on dude, the answer is easy.

You pay me what you were gonna spend on the Bowflex, and I will come stand in your living room or bedroom and collect dust for you.

I will leave whenever you want me to, so there's no folding me up or putting me away. Also, when you get tired of me, I'll just quit coming by. You don't even need to put me out with the trash and call for a pick up.

Best thing is, I come preassembled.

If you are really interested in weight training, do yourself a favor and save the space you would use for a bowflex and buy a squat rack, a barbell, and some plates. Put a bench under it. Learn five exercises.....squat, bench press, deadlift, overhead press, and power clean. This is all you need, and will give you 100x better results than a bowflex or some other kind of home gym.

Archived