Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Texas busting drunks in bars....

Gallntfox

What do think of this?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/03/23/texas.bars.reut/index.html

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) -- Texas has begun sending undercover agents into bars to arrest drinkers for being drunk, a spokeswoman for the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission said Wednesday.

The first sting operation was conducted recently in a Dallas suburb where agents infiltrated 36 bars and arrested 30 people for public intoxication, said the commission's Carolyn Beck.

Being in a bar does not exempt one from the state laws against public drunkenness, Beck said.

The goal, she said, was to detain drunks before they leave a bar and go do something dangerous like drive a car.

What do think of this?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/03/23/texas.bars.reut/index.html

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) -- Texas has begun sending undercover agents into bars to arrest drinkers for being drunk, a spokeswoman for the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission said Wednesday.

The first sting operation was conducted recently in a Dallas suburb where agents infiltrated 36 bars and arrested 30 people for public intoxication, said the commission's Carolyn Beck.

Being in a bar does not exempt one from the state laws against public drunkenness, Beck said.

The goal, she said, was to detain drunks before they leave a bar and go do something dangerous like drive a car.

Lets hope they do this at Texas Stadium too.

Seriously, how messed up is this. What if they aren't driving a car, what is their justification then?

Maybe they should just make the bar owners and bartenders responsible... Maybe that would actually keep ppl from getting in a state where they will drive drunk, or make it so that when you go in there you have to turn in your keys and to get them back either you or your designated driver has to pass a sobriety check...

I don't think aresting ppl for public intoxication while they are still in the bar is the right way to go about this....

Lets hope they do this at Texas Stadium too.

Seriously, how messed up is this. What if they aren't driving a car, what is their justification then?

It says right in the article - being in a bar doesn't make you exempt from being drunk in public. Not saying its fair, but that's the justification.

Ok let me get this straight. The state licenses the bar, collects taxes off of the revenue, then arrests anyone intoxicated in the establishent they licensed in the first place.

If your going to do this why not ban alcohol altogether???

Oh yea right forgot about all the fees and taxes the state collects in regards to alcohol.

All I know is if they start that around here, I'm gonna head to Richmond when the legislature is in session and go around the bars at night making me some citizens arrests. I'll have to ow3n them with the camera first though. :)

I can understand the uproar...but legally it makes sense.

It's legal to drink alcoholic beverages but no where is it stated that it's legal to be a drunken idiot. DIP offenses can occur anywhere but your property.

I doubt they are breathalizing everyone in the bar and arresting people. I'm sure the people getting in trouble are the same ones that would be getting kicked out of the bar very soon anyway.

It's legal to drink alcoholic beverages but no where is it stated that it's legal to be a drunken idiot. .

If they were just arresting drunken idiots It wouldn't bother me, but it said they were arresting intoxicated people, nothing about beligerent or idiotic.

Maybe they should just make the bar owners and bartenders responsible... Maybe that would actually keep ppl from getting in a state where they will drive drunk, or make it so that when you go in there you have to turn in your keys and to get them back either you or your designated driver has to pass a sobriety check...

I don't think aresting ppl for public intoxication while they are still in the bar is the right way to go about this....

I kept waiting to see a sarcasm emoticon somewhere in your post. I think arresting people in the bar is ludicrous, unless they are causing a disturbance. But holding the bar owner responsible is worse. He/she is not responsible for the actions of their clients. How about people be responsible for their own actions?

I kept waiting to see a sarcasm emoticon somewhere in your post. I think arresting people in the bar is ludicrous, unless they are causing a disturbance. But holding the bar owner responsible is worse. He/she is not responsible for the actions of their clients. How about people be responsible for their own actions?

Bartenders are already liable if they serve to obviously intoxicated people. That is well established. (It's why people get cut off).

I think the whole thing is ridiculous. As long as you're not harming anyone (other than yourself) what's the problem? They want to arrest people because they MIGHT commit a crime. :doh: :doh:

One more reason to stay out of bars,I simply get lit at home with my guns and cigars...Maybe shoot some cans...mexiCANS,puerto riCANS,afriCANS,irish-ameriCANS .

After all THAT is still legal here :laugh:

Archived