Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Barry Bonds hits a HR, and hitting .700 in Spring Training

boobiemiles

Good catch....

Yeah, I meant to use performance enhancing drugs (rather than a specific drug, steroid) in that statement.

Examples such as cocaine laced sugar cubes were all the rage at the turn of the century.

As for the statement that Bonds was only slightly above average before his 73hr year, that's just plain nuts.

he doesn't walk because he isn't swinging and wants to help his team, he gets INTENTIONALLY WALKED over 90% of the time, there is nobody swinging at those pitches. he doesn't have a choice, and his own teammates hate him, so your point is shot

You are completely, utterly wrong.

He gets intentionally walked more than anyone.

He also WALKS more than anyone.

Which specific teammates hate Bonds?

It's easy to say that his teammates hate him. It's harder to actually prove that statement with actual teammates who hate him.

Pony up.

edit...

I agree about not being the fielder that he once was. He doesn't have the range with the bum knees. However, I doubt that there is anyone better who puts themselves in position to make a play than Bonds.

Bonds is a walking machine, though he's not the fielder he once was.

And he's a total jackass, but a hell of ball player.

Sort of like a modern, less racist version of Ty Cobb. Sort of.

Less racist? 100% = 100% last time i checked.

As far as the best player of our generation, I will very grudgingly point to :doh: ARod. Dammit.

I agree about not being the fielder that he once was. He doesn't have the range with the bum knees. However, I doubt that there is anyone better who puts themselves in position to make a play than Bonds.

Torii Hunter, Jim Edmonds... i assume we're only talk outfielders.

Well boys, I have thoroughly enjoyed this conversation today. Gotta roll, tonight is softball night and i have to go smack the white ***** around.

So far for the season, im hitting .700 with no HR's, but i just shot up an assfull of steriods, so I'll let you know how it turns out. :laugh:

Less racist? 100% = 100% last time i checked.

As far as overt racism, Cobb is the winner, unless I'm missing something.

Which specific teammates hate Bonds?

Aside from the Jeff Kent episode, maybe AJ? But I think everyone hates AJ.

Agreed. He's an amazing ballplayer, I just really, really don't like him. As one gets older, outfield gets harder and harder to play on the All-Star level.

I wonder if Griffey would have given Bonds a closer run for his money if he hadn't been hurt for the last decade. I love me some KG Jr.

Bonds earned his 8 gold gloves. He certainly did not get them with his popularity, or because of a flashy rocket arm. He got them because until his knees got bad, he was always where he was supposed to be out there.

I suppose the 500 steals were luck too.

And all the MVP awards. They came because of his popularity. By the way, he should have 9 MVPs not 7 - he was more valuable than Pendleton or Kent the years they won.

I am a huge Jr fan (cause deep down, I will always be a Reds fan). But I wonder, what caused his body to betray him the past 5 years...it just can't be all teh games on the carpet in Seattle can it?

More importantly, ask yourself how many of Jr's HRs were because he played all of those years in that little bandbox in Seattle as opposed to Candlestick/PacBell.

(ps - I like Jr. too)

Do Torii Hunter and Jim Edmonds have bum knees too? What I am saying, is that Bonds positions himself better than anyone else to make plays that he shouldn't be able to (due to his knee).

Well, that's an odd argument. Of all the left-fielders, over 40, with a bum knee - he's the best.

I am a huge Jr fan (cause deep down, I will always be a Reds fan). But I wonder, what caused his body to betray him the past 5 years...it just can't be all teh games on the carpet in Seattle can it?

I'm scared to answer that question. Honestly.

Just thinking about what an OUTSTANDING outfielder he was. And then the trade. And wham! suddenly he's on the 60 day DL for 10 years.

My dislike of Bonds doesn't have much to do with the steroids. It's more to do with who I believe he is (from what I've read, seen, heard, etc.).

Bonds earned his 8 gold gloves. He certainly did not get them with his popularity, or because of a flashy rocket arm. He got them because until his knees got bad, he was always where he was supposed to be out there.

I suppose the 500 steals were luck too.

And all the MVP awards. They came because of his popularity. By the way, he should have 9 MVPs not 7 - he was more valuable than Pendleton or Kent the years they won.

And Pujols should have gotten one of his so you're back down to 8.

More importantly, ask yourself how many of Jr's HRs were because he played all of those years in that little bandbox in Seattle as opposed to Candlestick/PacBell.

(ps - I like Jr. too)

Same can be said about a lot of stats in baseball. Helton's BA, Koufax's ERA--two good examples of stats that are, in most eye's, heavily dependent on home stadiums. One could never fully discount the stadiums' effect on excellent stats, but there's the other half of the season that's played elsewhere.

My dislike of Bonds doesn't have much to do with the steroids. It's more to do with who I believe he is (from what I've read, seen, heard, etc.).

That's why i hate those commercials where he says "If you want to know the real story, get it from me." WTF should we believe you?!?!? Like he's going to come out and say "Well, first i hit the juice and then my wife. Then i'm an ******* to the media." :doh:

Same can be said about a lot of stats in baseball. Helton's BA, Koufax's ERA--two good examples of stats that are, in most eye's, heavily dependent on home stadiums. One could never fully discount the stadiums' effect on excellent stats, but there's the other half of the season that's played elsewhere.

Agreed. Which is something that makes Bonds' stats even more amazing (even though he is a roid user).

Archived