Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mark Brunell in the Record books...

RedskinsSuperBowl21

Get real dude, if Brunell 'refused' to throw to open recievers, dont you think our coaching staff would have recognized that?

Do you think Die Hard is a liar? People went to games and saw open receivers.

In fact, MOSS was open on a crossing pattern and Brunell decided to overthrown someone else downfield (who WAS open if the ball was thrown well) rather than to MOss.

Or maybe a mistake DOES NOT include throwing a hospital ball to your 5-10 receiver on a play that, had the ball been thrown even decently, would have resulted on a first down late in a PLAYOFF GAME.

Instead, hospital ball--Moss gets crushed, no first down--FG attempt--miss...Skins are pretty much (realistically) out of it.

WATCH GAMES, don't buy into hype.

Missed 2004, the 2005 Arizona game, Tampa, KC, the INT for TD vs. NYG in a critical division game, the Tampa playoff game or the sure INT that bounced off a Seahawk into Moss' hands, did we?

Since when is refusing to throw to open people not a mistake?

No sure things in the NFL. We all love Darrell Green and put him at the top of the Redskins CB, but if he had any hands he would have had 100 INTS. Conversely I've seen Rice drop easy catches before. DOn't count something if it never happened

No sure things in the NFL. We all love Darrell Green and put him at the top of the Redskins CB, but if he had any hands he would have had 100 INTS. Conversely I've seen Rice drop easy catches before. DOn't count something if it never happened

Um, the job of a QB is to throw to open WRs rather than throw the ball away because he is either incapable or too scared to make certain throws. ESP a QB. A CB can be forgiven for dropping a ball, they're a defensive player. A Qb's job is to move the offense and to help win games. By not even giving guys a chance, it is basically as big a mistake as any other.

I'd add that getting TACKLED after buying time on FOURTH DOWN at the end of a game is also a mistake.

What is going to bother me the most is if/when we win the superbowl with Mark Brunell all these people who are hating on him are going to jump on his bandwagon, get his jersey...etc...and say they were with him all along

You'll need a new screenname before anyone that thinks Brunell is overrated will have to "jump on his bandwagon."

What is going to bother me the most is if/when we win the superbowl with Mark Brunell all these people who are hating on him are going to jump on his bandwagon, get his jersey...etc...and say they were with him all along

No.

Why jump on the bandwagon and buy the jersey of a 37 year old QB?

I won't speak for other "Brunell haters" but there are two reasons why I'm not a Brunell fan.

1. Very bad first impression. His inept performance in 2004 soured me on him as our QB. While he did prove me wrong in the early part of 2005, ultimately he regressed in the latter half of the season and was one of the main reasons why the Skins were an incomplete team last season. Which leads me to point 2.

2. His age. I can't get excited about Brunell as our QB because of his age. I know that he's not going to last much longer. I just don't want this team to be "Super Bowl ready" and have our dreams dashed because we relied on a mid-30's QB to stop the hands of time and play like he did 10 years ago. Also given his age, there's no upside and/or room for improvement with Brunell. 2005 is about as good as you're gonna get and that was not good enough to win a Vince Lombardi Trophy. I think this team may be 1 year away and if so, Campbell needs to play this season to get experience and lead us in 07 or if he's a bust, sign a free agent in the 07 offseason to lead the team.

All that said, I promise you if/when Mark Brunell leads the Redskins to a Super Bowl, I won't jump on his bandwagon, buy his jersey or claim to have been on his side the whole time. Most likely I'll be too busy crediting Clinton Portis and the defense who will be the two more likely reasons why we actually won the Super Bowl.

UMM so what does that make Favre? He throws it to a lot of covered receivers. When a QB releases a ball to the WR in single coverage, the receiver isn't open. The QB is expecting him to be open. Why can a CB be forgiven? That's just dumb. I don't forgive Rogers for dropping the "sure INT" in the seahawks game. THat would have increased the Skins lead. It happens though and I understand.

So you're saying that Brunell didn't move the offense to rank 11th, win games and into the playoffs or do you mean he just didn't move the offense as much as YOU wanted.

So you're mad at Brunell for throwing a "sure int" that turned out to be a TD yet you say that he has to throw the ball up and give our receivers a chance to make a play?

All that said, I promise you if/when Mark Brunell leads the Redskins to a Super Bowl, I won't jump on his bandwagon, buy his jersey or claim to have been on his side the whole time. Most likely I'll be too busy crediting Clinton Portis and the defense who will be the two more likely reasons why we actually won the Super Bowl.

Yes, you do define how your postion will never waver no matter what.

Now that Peregrine is online, I hope he'll try and rationalize his fake stats in trying to hate on Brunell:

Of course I wont point out Brunell was in the bottom 10 QBs in the league in turnovers(with 16).

Oh wait I did :-P

Everyone loves stats!

Delhomme, Brees, Favre, Sheli, Bleedsoe, Brady, Frerotte, Orton, Harrington and Dilfer all had more. Whoops! That looks like 10 guys with more turnovers!! And there are some very good QBs on that list! :shhh:

Want more? Okay: Brooks, Vick and Carr all had more. Whoops, that's 13 guys with more turnovers!! Collins had the same amount! :shhh:

But wait, Brunell was in the top half of QBs in rating, the top half in yards and top 10 in TD passes! Wow!!

Nice try, Brunell hater...

LOL at these Brunell supporters saying he plays "mistake free".

Typical Brunell-supporter:

"Gosh, I can't believe all these people who bash Brunell, when all the guy does is play mistake free. You don't need a cannon for an arm if you're not making mistakes & turning the ball over. Mistake-free, mistake-free, blah blah blah, mistake-free."

What really goes on:

Mark Brunell might have less INTs than most QBs, but he turns the ball over about as much as any other QB. It's called fumbling, and it's how he's lost us a couple of games since he's gotten here. Throwing 0 INTS but fumbling twice = not mistake-free.

Don't get me wrong I support Mark & think he did an awesome job this year, I just want to clarify a misconception. Looking forward to next year.

It is true that Brunell appeared to regress at the end of the season. I will concede that he appeared to be hit low against NYG in December. I feel that he did an admirable job with trying to help his team win depite clearly playing injured. Mark should be able to coninue his success with the additons to the offense. Strengthening the depth of the o-line is essential as we all know. There are some serious weapons added to an already capable roster.

Mark Rypien (and I hate to drop names on a SB MVP) had one particularly dynamic year with a strong team.Coach Gibbs likely sees many of the same qualitites in Brunell and he should be able to lead the Skins into the playoffs again. Win the Division!!

:logo:

LOL at these Brunell supporters saying he plays "mistake free".

Typical Brunell-supporter:

"Gosh, I can't believe all these people who bash Brunell, when all the guy does is play mistake free. You don't need a cannon for an arm if you're not making mistakes & turning the ball over. Mistake-free, mistake-free, blah blah blah, mistake-free."

What really goes on:

Mark Brunell might have less INTs than most QBs, but he turns the ball over about as much as any other QB. It's called fumbling, and it's how he's lost us a couple of games since he's gotten here. Throwing 0 INTS but fumbling twice = not mistake-free.

Don't get me wrong I support Mark & think he did an awesome job this year, I just want to clarify a misconception. Looking forward to next year.

Did you even read the posts in this thread? The post right above yours? Can you read??

I listed 13 other quarterbacks who had more turnovers than Brunell. Included in the list were Tom Brady, Brett Favre, Drew Brees, Jake Delhomme and Sheli Manning. By your twisted, flawed logic, you'd rather have Mark Brunell than Tom Brady. :doh:

Your blind hatred of Brunell is not a valid opinion. If you're going to offer up some discussion, please make it intelligent. Thanks in advance.

Oh, and Peregrine, I'm still waiting for you to own up to your BS post!

Archived