Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defense has been downgraded so far this offseason

CPstretch

many of you will tell me i am dumb for thinking this and blah blah but these are the losses we've had on D:

1. Ryan Clark: starting strong safety left to go to Pitt for a meager 4 year/7 mil deal. We spend 30 mil on a safety who in my opinion is not nearly that much better than ryan clark, and certainly not deserving of that much money.

2. Omar Stoutmire/Matt Bowen: excellent depth at the safety position which often helped cover up for lack of depth at the corner position is now gone. Only 2 of the 5 safeties from a year ago are still on the team, and Sean Taylor might not even be able to play next year.

3. LAVAR: we now have no proven weak side linebackers. you can say what you want about him not playing in the scheme and blah blah but we have no replacement for him so hating on Lavar doesn't fix our problem at that position.

4. Demetric Evans: will probably leave since he is an UFA and the skins havent tried to retain him. Was a playmaker at the DE position and even play DT for the skins when needed. was versatile on the line but now we have old man renaldo wynn as our backup DE instead.

I trust in Gibbs, but I do not like or agree with letting all these players go.

Lavar is hard to replace, and i will miss him. but we did do good without him when we were running the other scemes (which was most of the time)

and i feel (just my opinion) Carter and Archeleta bring more than any of those others you mentioned (except ST)

While we have downgraded thusfar at linebacker and may have overpaid for Archuleta, we defintiely have upgraded at defensive end and safety.....You're right in pointing out that depth hasn't been addressed, but we have 6 picks in teh draft thus far AND we could still pursue 2nd tier FA's...

I don't agree that the defense will necessarily be worse off because you don't know what is going to happen between now and September with other moves in the draft and free agency.

The offseason has really just begun and the Redskins have already filled holes at DE and S.

With Carter on board at DE there is a possibility that Wynn can move inside to DT when needed. That basically frees up a roster spot. That may be one reason the team has not made a move to resign Evans, although I hope he does return.

Let's not lose any sleep over Stoutmire and Bowen. Stoutmire is 33 years old and is no more than a part-time player now while the team hasn't counted on Bowen for almost 2 years. Bowen was probably the most overrated player on this defense in the minds of fans. He missed as many tackles as he made.

Archuleta gives Williams a safety that can he can use to attack the line of scrimmage. He is a better tackler than Bowen or Stoutmire or the 175 pound Clark.

By the end of the season Prioleau had moved in front of Bowen and Stoutmire in any event.

The release of Arrington gave the team the opportunity to improve its playmaking ability with Carter, Archuleta and the receivers by freeing up cap space.

Let's be honest about #56. He really hasn't done much for the Redskins since 2003. The defense was in the top 10 without him in 2004 and for much of 2005 as well.

Based on his numbers he was easily the team's most overpaid player.

What amazes me is that fans can cry over Arrington and say the Redskins made a mistake and didn't evaluate him properly or give him a chance, but the fact remains that coordinators from Ray Rhodes to Marvin Lewis to Gregg Williams ended up having problems with Arrington's preparation and his own version of Rod Gardner's 50/50, one great play followed by a boneheaded blown assignment.

I think this team could sign a Keith Adams or other solid OLB and not miss a beat.

An interesting idea would be to acquire a veteran MLB and move Marshall back to WLB where he played in 2004.

many of you will tell me i am dumb for thinking this and blah blah but these are the losses we've had on D:

1. Ryan Clark: starting strong safety left to go to Pitt for a meager 4 year/7 mil deal. We spend 30 mil on a safety who in my opinion is not nearly that much better than ryan clark, and certainly not deserving of that much money.

2. Omar Stoutmire/Matt Bowen: excellent depth at the safety position which often helped cover up for lack of depth at the corner position is now gone. Only 2 of the 5 safeties from a year ago are still on the team, and Sean Taylor might not even be able to play next year.

3. LAVAR: we now have no proven weak side linebackers. you can say what you want about him not playing in the scheme and blah blah but we have no replacement for him so hating on Lavar doesn't fix our problem at that position.

4. Demetric Evans: will probably leave since he is an UFA and the skins havent tried to retain him. Was a playmaker at the DE position and even play DT for the skins when needed. was versatile on the line but now we have old man renaldo wynn as our backup DE instead.

1. Ryan Clark < Adam Archuleta

2. Who and who? Stoutmire was a good special teams player, but not a huge part of the defense. And this is two years straight Bowen hasn't been able to stay healthy.

3. LA is sheer talent, but our defense has stayed in the top 10 two years in a row without him being a major part of it.

4. Andre Carter >>>>> Demetric Evans. Evans couldn't even beat out Wynn for a starting DE spot, and that's not saying much considering Wynn only got half a sack last year.

All in all, most if not all the players we let go were expendable. They weren't a huge part of our success last season, and if they were they're already replaced with better talent. Depthwise, we still have time and draft picks. It's all good. :)

1. Archuletta is an upgrade over clark.

2. Bowen didn't do a damn thing all last year and stoutmire is easily replaceable. We did better WITHOUT him in 2004 than we did in 2005 with him subbing in.

3. We were fine without lavar for the entire 2004 season. He contributed some last year, but screwed up alot too. He's replaceable in William's system.

4. Evans isnt gone yet. We've UPGRADED our line with Carter. And Reynaldo Wynn isnt that old for a Dlineman.

All things being equal, you could say we're about even to where we were last year. But you forget one thing. Greg Williams made these decisions. He could have easily kept Clark if he really wanted to. Same goes for Bowen, Harris, and Stoutmire. If they were any good, theyd still be here. Double goes for Lavar. Williams knows a hell of alot more about football than you. Our defense will be MUCH MUCH better this year. Thank God youre running our defense. We'd be starting Bowen, Stoutmire, Harris, and Jimoh in our secondary. THAT would go over real well.

1. Archuletta is an upgrade over clark.

2. Bowen didn't do a damn thing all last year and stoutmire is easily replaceable. We did better WITHOUT him in 2004 than we did in 2005 with him subbing in.

3. We were fine without lavar for the entire 2004 season. He contributed some last year, but screwed up alot too. He's replaceable in William's system.

4. Evans isnt gone yet. We've UPGRADED our line with Carter. And Reynaldo Wynn isnt that old for a Dlineman.

All things being equal, you could say we're about even to where we were last year. But you forget one thing. Greg Williams made these decisions. He could have easily kept Clark if he really wanted to. Same goes for Bowen, Harris, and Stoutmire. If they were any good, theyd still be here. Double goes for Lavar. Williams knows a hell of alot more about football than you. Our defense will be MUCH MUCH better this year. Thank God youre running our defense. We'd be starting Bowen, Stoutmire, Harris, and Jimoh in our secondary. THAT would go over real well.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

I do not need to say nothing, therfore I won't. (Watching NC/Muarry State game and NC cheated George Masn is going to kill em.)

the Redskins addressed their two main areas of need from last season, the lack of a pass rush (Carter & Archuleta) and playmakers on offense (Lloyd, Randle El), in the first week of free agency.

how can anyone really say the team is worse off on either side of the ball?

Dont think we're worst off

Its basicly wait and see.... Neither of those players alone could've made a difference,(besides LA) but they had a chemistry. Our weakest spot on d was the other safety. O,Ryan,LA, and Ade are my boys,and we gave up a lot of plays right down the middle. I'd say that may have cost us 3 games. Which would've = home field advantage....

If Taylor is back, we should still be in good shape. Wewould just need a lil depth at Safety

We'll be srtaight at Dline with good back ups.

LB and the Nickle CB Is th only question to me.

Adam A is really smart, I expect him to come on like marcus washington does. I herd this guy watches film all the time and really loves to study. I dont know about you guys but this guy is special, watch him make probowl and out perform sean taylor next season.

I don't think the defense is worse at all. Archuleta is a definite upgrade over Clark. Providing Taylor can play this year, I think we'll have one of the best secondaries in the NFL with Springs, Rogers, Taylor and Archuleta.

I also think Carter is a good addition. I look for him to thrive in Greg Williams' system. Carter gives us a legit pass rusher.

Yes, WLB and DB depth still need to be addressed but there's still time for that. Overall, I think Gibbs and company have done a great job in upgrading the 'Skins roster.

Blah blah, blah blah blah

Our defense is upgraded. Of the players younamed only Clark will be missed by me. BTW - it was not the money he left for, it was to be the tagged starter which was not going to happen here.

Ryan Clark was not signed for a reason. He is pathetic. I rememeber in that OT game vs the Chargers , LT just ran over him like he was speed bumb. If it was not for that Eagles game where Mcnabb threw right into his arms he would not be a fan favorite. I like Matt Bowen when healthy better then Clark.

Ryan Clark was not signed for a reason. He is pathetic. I rememeber in that OT game vs the Chargers , LT just ran over him like he was speed bumb. If it was not for that Eagles game where Mcnabb threw right into his arms he would not be a fan favorite. I like Matt Bowen when healthy better then Clark.

Clark was a little guy, and LT has run over many people.

Archived