Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defense has been downgraded so far this offseason

CPstretch

many of you will tell me i am dumb for thinking this and blah blah but these are the losses we've had on D:

1. Ryan Clark: starting strong safety left to go to Pitt for a meager 4 year/7 mil deal. We spend 30 mil on a safety who in my opinion is not nearly that much better than ryan clark, and certainly not deserving of that much money.

2. Omar Stoutmire/Matt Bowen: excellent depth at the safety position which often helped cover up for lack of depth at the corner position is now gone. Only 2 of the 5 safeties from a year ago are still on the team, and Sean Taylor might not even be able to play next year.

3. LAVAR: we now have no proven weak side linebackers. you can say what you want about him not playing in the scheme and blah blah but we have no replacement for him so hating on Lavar doesn't fix our problem at that position.

4. Demetric Evans: will probably leave since he is an UFA and the skins havent tried to retain him. Was a playmaker at the DE position and even play DT for the skins when needed. was versatile on the line but now we have old man renaldo wynn as our backup DE instead.

I trust in Gibbs, but I do not like or agree with letting all these players go.

yea, thay did so much for us last year:insane:

Bulldog:.....I thought your response to "CPstretch's" post was very well put......I too have my concerns about taking the DEFENSE for granted, but after reading your post I felt relatively re-assured the Redskins braintrust must know what they're doing. As for Lavaar, I lost a great deal of respect for him in the last two years anyway. While the Redskins (under Gibbs) had focused their attention on turning things around, Arrington seemed a bit more concerned about suing his employer for more money. Let's face it.......the "ME" factor isn't going to work under Gibbs. Once again, thanks for your well written and very informative post!

Greg Williams knows his defensive scheme, and really has not missed with any of his acquisitions. Lavar was not one of his acquisitions. Carter is going to excel in this defensive scheme. He really has his guys now.

We have upgraded. Arch is an upgrade over Clark. And, Carter will probably turn out to be a much better player then Lavar in this scheme. I hope we go linebacker with our first pick in the draft. The defensive is improved if only because it's our third year in it.

many of you will tell me i am dumb for thinking this and blah blah but these are the losses we've had on D:

1. Ryan Clark: starting strong safety left to go to Pitt for a meager 4 year/7 mil deal. We spend 30 mil on a safety who in my opinion is not nearly that much better than ryan clark, and certainly not deserving of that much money.

2. Omar Stoutmire/Matt Bowen: excellent depth at the safety position which often helped cover up for lack of depth at the corner position is now gone. Only 2 of the 5 safeties from a year ago are still on the team, and Sean Taylor might not even be able to play next year.

3. LAVAR: we now have no proven weak side linebackers. you can say what you want about him not playing in the scheme and blah blah but we have no replacement for him so hating on Lavar doesn't fix our problem at that position.

4. Demetric Evans: will probably leave since he is an UFA and the skins havent tried to retain him. Was a playmaker at the DE position and even play DT for the skins when needed. was versatile on the line but now we have old man renaldo wynn as our backup DE instead.

I trust in Gibbs, but I do not like or agree with letting all these players go.

I can't agree with much of this at all. You need to rethink your position instead of just being worrisome and shortsighted.

I'll echo a few of the thought in here.

First, the origional poster is dead on. If we had to field the defense we have right now, we'd be in trouble. We've improved our starters on defenxe, but our depth wouldn't get the job done.

At the same time, it's not worth worrying about. While the defese has been downgraded so far this offseason, the rest of the offseason is long. If we are able to draft for even a few depth poitions at CB, O-line, and D-line, we'll be okay. The rest of our holes will be filled with june 1st cuts. We will be better, we're just not finished yet.

Why do so many people like to invent negative team issues in the offseason? Greg Williams had made very good starters out of former role players and walk-ons, and he will continue to do so. All of the guys he has brought in have worked out very well, and yet people think we are a worse team when he makes more adjustments. Unbelievable.

Archived