Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Collins a wasted roster postion?

bbuzz1962

Not long ago, I posted a thread that got so many hits, I was amazed. It was originally a humorous thought, thinking what would happen if Collins won the starting position due to injuries, or other unforseen problems.

My concern was the total lack of respect for a player who the coaching staff was intrested enough in to sign to a contract.

What most extremeskins feel, is that this quarterback is here simply to trasnlate the Saunders offense to the likely starting quarterback(s). My question is to my fellow extremskins, is this, if this guy is as bad as a lot of you say he is, why did we bother? There were many backup quarterbacks out there we could of snagged, so why Collins? Please don't tell me it is to familiarize the offense to Brunell and Campbell. These are smart guys, and I don't think they need a career backup player to do this.

Strange, strange things happen in the NFL, if we need to call his number, for whatever reason, I pray he is better then the feedback I have received from my good, inteligent, football friends, here at Extremskins have let me to believe.

Could it be this man has been a backup quarterback to a pro bowl caliber player most of his career, and that's why we know little of him? Could Saunders know something that we don't? Whatever the reason, I would like your opinions on justification of a roster position.

I remember an article sometime last year when they were talking about backup QBs. Collins was one of the ones singled out as being one of the better ones.

There are a lot of people ragging on him because he hasn't gotten a lot of snaps in the regular season recently, but it isn't like he sits on the couch eating potato chips all day.

I like the pickup because he's familiar with Al Saunders system, and Al Saunders is familiar with what he can do on the field.

Jason

Here is the way I see it. Al Suanders is coming into a team situation where he has 0 experience with the players and little experience with the coaches. So they are an 'unknown'to him. It will take time for the players to learn his means and methods, and it will also take him time to learn theirs. So bringing in Collins gives him a 'known quantity', and a 'translator' on the squad. It makes sense from the social standpoint to make his as comfortable and EFFECTIVE as quickly as possible. I don't beleive it was Gibb's intention to take a season at this point to tweak the offensive system again. So bringing in Collins to help facilitate Saunders positive impact makes sense to me.

Like most of us here I haven't seen the guy play.

The difference between knowing the offense and actually taking snaps on the field is enough to warrant his signing. Most of us are rooting for Campbell to see the field and progress, but I will not be heartbroken if Collins is good enough to play second string.

Guest santana4prez

What better #3 to have in case of injuries is one that has known Saunders system since Moby Dick was a minow.

I have noticed that a lot of fans of this team and really any are looking for the big names. Everyone wants names and superstars, but sometimes the no-names could help the most.

I really don't care if this guy ever steps on the field, if he does though, I know he could manage the game well enough to win. What else he brings to the table is way more valuable. If you have ever played in sports at a high or even a medium level, you know how complex some of the plays and schemes get. If Collins helps shorten the learning curve of our other quarterbacks learning new schemes, then he is worth his weight in gold. A coach can coach all day, but sometimes a peer working with you is the best way to learn and build a true team. This will be a very important, but very unhearalded free agent signing.

He's knows the offence and can act as another coach out there with Campbell, even if he never takes the field he's a good signing just for that, and if he's an experienced holder thats just another bonus.

Just because he was a a career back-up it doesn't automatically mean he's worthless, but lets be realistic here. The Chiefs obviously were never grooming him to be the QB of the future.

Think Packers, all of Favre's backups with talent eventually left to start elsewhere. (Brunell, Hasselbeck, Brooks) If Collins had potential then a team would've gone after him or he would've left to a team where he had a chance to start.

Not trying to bash the guy, but if Ramsey stays he'll be on the practice squad. Good signing because he knows Saunders offense, not because of his potential to play QB for us.

if this guy is as bad as a lot of you say he is, why did we bother?

you can stop right there.

He's "bad" according to who? Someone who hasn't seen him play?, Someone who who assumes that because he's been a career back-up means he's worthless? Ramsey lovers?

He's held onto a job for 10 years in the NFL, and held that job for several years under Saunders who is known as a perfectionist

no way . . . campbell is NOT ready to step in and win . . .

say brunell gets hurt in week 10 . . . a very decent possibility . . . who do you want stepping in?

campbell? or a guy who knows the ins and outs of saunders's system?

the role of a backup is to have someone who, when your guy goes down, can step in and give you the chance to keep winning short term . . .

campebll is the man in the future . . . but thats not his role just yet . . . give him the reigns in 07-08, not 06-07 . . .

I cannot fathom why people cannot read enough to understand why Collins is in washington. Collins is not in washington to start. It wont happen. Why? Because hes not good. He has been in this leage for 11 years. He is 2 years younger than Brunell, and we know how people like to talk about how old Brunell is. He still has less starts, and has done a worse job in them then Ramsey. How you could possibly think the Redskins signed him to compete for a job is beyond me. He is here for 1 reason plain and simple... He knows Al Saunders offense. He is here to teach, to share knowledge, and if both our QBs go down, he steps in knowing the offense, being in a better situation than backup QBs who are better than he is.

Its really simple and not that hard to understand.

I know that he was signed just because of Saunders and his knowledge of his system.

Since I have never seen him in action I have no opinion as to whether he is seriously considered as the starter. I heard that he is good at helping his teammates to learn and so he should be valuable to the team in that role.

My main feeling is that I am looking to see Jason Campbell get some action if Mark Brunnel gets hurt; but with Saunders making the call he might go with Collins just because he knows him better.

Before the signing I was thinking that a good plan might be to have only two QBs (Mark & Jason) and let ARE be the third option if if both should get injured. Keep the roster spot for a backup OL or CB.

On a thread I posted a few days ago, there were many hits with slanderous comments about Collins. I knew nothing of him, never seen him play, or even knew he was on the Chiefs. With the signing of him, I was curious about him and wondered what would happen if circumstances caused him to have to start. The comments I got were atrotious, and led me to post this thread about whether it was a wasted position. We have 4 quarterbacks on the roster. Why? Even Randel El can play the position in an emergency. Can he really be that infuentual to the potential starters in this short of time? I still think something else is going on with this. I know the coaching staff made the right decision, but they sure aren't getting a lot of respect for this pick up.

Archived