Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Redskins.comTV Thread

CPstretch

In my opinion, Ramsey is honestly best suited to stay here. If he's gonna be a backup, he might as well be here. He knows the sytem. He knows Brunell is older, will probably retire in a year or two, and until then is injury prone. His best chance of getting to start is here, I would think.

You really ought to give up that pipe dream. Patrick is gone, one way or the other. He clearly will not be with the team in 2006 - nor does he WANT to be.

Larry Michael on Redskins TV said he had been hearing talks of Ramsey visiting Cincinatti, as well as LaVar (as ironic as that would be). Take it for what it is.

If Lavar signs with cinci I would end up losing all the respect I ever had for Lewis. Only because he didn't say one good thing about him when he was hurt.

There's just not much market for Ramsey. When Daunte Culpeper gets only a #2, you can't expect much for PR. Especially when McNown is still out there and there's a pretty good QB draft coming in April...

granted...but ramsey is a good QB...he just needs a fresh start. he is worth a 4th or a 5th

granted...but ramsey is a good QB...he just needs a fresh start. he is worth a 4th or a 5th

We we were talking about this yesterday in another thread. - Kerry Collins, McCown, Aarron Brooks, Gus Ferotte, Greise and Tony Banks are all available as decent back-ups and don't require a draft pick. - Put ourself in the shoes of the other team. - Why spend a draft pick when the free agent market is so saturated?

Marvin Lewis is probably interested in Ramsey because he knows him and knows he's not a trouble maker. - Ramsey could see some playing time there too, because it was reported that they don't know if Palmer will ready for the start of the season.

No way Ramsey is worth a 4th or a 5th.

I like the kid, but if Daunte Culpepper gets you a 2nd, Ramsey doesn't get you a 4th or 5th.

I think you are forgetting to take into account some factors that affect trade compensation.

Certainly, based on pure talent and proven production alone, Culpepper should warrant significantly greater compensation. However: Culpepper is injured. Who knows if he can even play next season? And more importantly, Culpepper's contract is massive, and apparently he wants more. When adding a player, you have to consider the overall short-term AND long-term effect of that addition, not just the effect on the talent level of the team you can put on the field in the upcoming season. By adding Culpepper and his monstrous long-term contract, the Dolphins are taking a big financial/cap risk that he A) recovers fully from the knee injury and B) becomes the QB he was when he had Moss. They also are limiting their ability to sign other FAs that could be beneficial to the team (LaVar, perhaps?).

The combination of major injury, horrid season last year without Moss, and huge contract is certainly sufficient to severely decrease Daunte's trade value. With Ramsey, you have no injury issues, a very friendly contract, and some untapped potential. He's not the same caliber of player, but that is not the only determinant.

That said, the point above about McCown, Brooks, Griese, etc. all being available is well taken. I've criticized the Redskins for giving up picks to acquire a player when a close free agent substitute was available, but let's see if we can get someone to do the same.

Archived