Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ladell Betts

Yomar

Whats going on with this guy? A 2nd round running back should be able to come in and be servicable at least, Lamont Jordan is a good example of what I expect from him. We might need him and he isn't even second on the depth chart, its too early to label him a bust, but RB seems to be the position that is the easiest to transition to from college. Any mention of Kijana Carter?

You would hope a 2nd round RB would be able to do more then Betts has shown so far. Lets hope that the problem isnt his talent or drive but maybe its taking time to fit him into the system. im trying to be optimistic. If they draft another RB in the first 3 rounds next year then he's a bust.

Even though it's a little too early to say so, I think he is a bust. Kenny Watson, a back who impressed virtually nobody before this season, beat him out in training camp. I don't care whether they say Betts was #2 on the depth chart, he was INACTIVE when the game started aganist Arizona. He'll likely stay inactive unless Stephen can't go aganist Philly next week.

If this is the guy they expect to make Stephen lower his demands next year, they got another thing coming.

I thought drafting Betts where we did was a dumb move -- the only one we made all draft day. But a) I thought he looked pretty good in the preseason, and was very impressive catching passes the day I was at Carlisle, and B) I'm pretty sure I remember him being injured (high ankle sprain?), so I don't read as much as everyone else into his being inactive.

Originally posted by Romberjo

I thought drafting Betts where we did was a dumb move -- the only one we made all draft day. But a) I thought he looked pretty good in the preseason, and was very impressive catching passes the day I was at Carlisle, and B) I'm pretty sure I remember him being injured (high ankle sprain?), so I don't read as much as everyone else into his being inactive.

I hope you're right, because to me Betts is starting to look more and more like another Andre Johnson.

I suspect Betts was on the inactive list because Watson could be put to more use in games, as long as Davis is healthy. It's a roster numbers game.

Betts may work out, or might not, but it's way too early to conclude anything about him. I'll repost here what I wrote earlier in another thread:

---------------

Some interesting stats from the preseason:

Total Rushing/Receiving Yards:

Player 1: 148

Player 2: 120

Player 3: 89

Rushing:

Player 1: 21 rushes, 103 yards (4.9 avg), longest 17

Player 2: 16 rushes, 74 yards (4.6 avg), longest 19

Player 3: 18 rushes, 57 yards (3.2 avg), longest 15

Receiving:

Player 1: 7 catches, 45 yards

Player 2: 5 catches, 46 yards

Player 3: 4 catches, 32 yards

----------------

Player 1: Betts

Player 2: Watson

Player 3: Davis

In sum, Betts rushed more times for a higher average than either Watson or Davis. He also led the three in number of catches.

Obviously this doesn't by itself qualify Betts as a better RB than Davis or Watson. But it should be a corrective against those who thinks he sucks. I'll take anybody who can rush for a 4.9 avg behind our mixed-up OL, and lead the backs in catches as well!

Stat source: preseason gamebooks from NFL.com

yeah, I'm not drawing any conclusions yet, I was primarily concerned that he wasn't even active for the opener, but there seem to be a couple of explanations, but with Davis gimpy, the onus is on him I think to step up and carry part of the load, hopefully he is up to it.

My first guess is that Watson is ahead because he's a special teams player. Your gameday backup RB has to be able to do teams.

Remember, Davis was no great shakes (though he did flash a bit) at first. I certainly don't think Betts looked awful. In fact, I thought he had a couple of nice runs in preseason.

But, it will be telling if Davis can't go and Watson gets the start. That would be discouraging, but maybe it says something about Watson, too.

Originally posted by mattyk72

Here's a question, let's say Betts went in the 4th or 5th round. Would Spurrier have cut him? Is the fact that he went in the 2nd round part of the reason that saved his spot on the team?

No doubt.:shhh: :shhh: :shhh:

Vinny-boy may get the axe (again) for that one.

I'm going to count the amount of time Betts has played in the REGULAR SEASON:

I'm done.

This guy hasn't even set foot on a field in the regular season and all of a sudden he's a bust. You guys are quick to jump on people. I have a good feeling about Betts. BTW, the draft is over. Stop ****ing about it. Betts is ours, and there's no changing that. Let's support the guys we have. He can do the job. If we get him a chance, he'll step up.

Originally posted by cowboykilla

I'm going to count the amount of time Betts has played in the REGULAR SEASON:

I'm done.

This guy hasn't even set foot on a field in the regular season and all of a sudden he's a bust. You guys are quick to jump on people. I have a good feeling about Betts. BTW, the draft is over. Stop ****ing about it. Betts is ours, and there's no changing that. Let's support the guys we have. He can do the job. If we get him a chance, he'll step up.

I don't think Andre Johnson stepped on the field for us either. The fact remains that a second round pick is a big investment, especially in the salary cap era. The point is, the early signs are not at all promising. Lets hope hes just a late bloomer...

Coach Steve Spurrier said last week that Betts was victimized by the roster numbers crunch. Watson is the team's primary kickoff returner, so he must be on the active roster on game days. The coaches decided they could not have three tailbacks among the 45 players they can have active from among the 53-man roster.

See, he's not a bum.

Originally posted by RySkins

IMO Betts would have been cut in preseason had he been picked any later than the 2nd round. Gillespie was clearly a better fit in the offense and possibly a better player period from what I saw.

I don't know where you're getting these conclusions from. Both Betts and Watson had their moments in the preseason, good and bad. Again:

Betts: 21 rushes, 103 yards (4.9 avg), longest 17

Watson: 16 rushes, 74 yards (4.6 avg), longest 19

Davis: 18 rushes, 57 yards (3.2 avg), longest 15

The edge putting Watson on the active roster was special teams. Why is this such a controversy?

If anyone can point to a quote or well sourced "background" comment from the team that Betts is struggling, that would be different. But I haven't seen such comments, and Betts's performance on the field in preseason has been fine.

He may work out, or he may not, but I don't see the evidence to support this drumbeat of gloom surrounding Betts. He was never heralded as a "super back", just a steady guy (4-year college starter) with versatile skills (running, catching) who might fit Spurrier's system well. He still seems like that guy to me. And I still like Davis better as our starting TB. As long as Davis is able to play and fits our salary structure, I don't see the controversy over Betts being inactive.

Hell, McCants is inactive, and he's one of my favorite Redskins. It's all a roster numbers game.

Betts's best chance to get on the roster is probably by improving his special teams play. Then, once he's on the active roster, he can get a few snaps at TB.

Archived