Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cowboys fans, King and LennyP read this before posting

canagarian

The interesting thing about the so-called cap hell that everyone says the Redskins are in every year, is that they never are. There are guys on this board that know the salary cap better than any sportswriter out there. If you read their posts every year, you can see that the team has never been in danger of any salary cap hell any year including this one even prior to the new CBA. If you pay attention to sportswriters, the same ones that keep Monk and Irvin out of the HOF, then by all means keep repeating their ill-informed biased mantra. None of them are qualified to be GMs, Head Coaches or contract negotiators. They just write their opinions and you know what they say about those.

You are what your record says you are; and since Gibbs has returned, the team is as good as anytime since Snyder bought the team. Gibbs is acting as chief talent evaluator. Snyder, who understands the CBA as good as anyone, acts as chief contract negotiator and they have been able to put better teams on the field since Gibbs has returned. Now that they have Williams and Saunders running things on the field on a play by play basis, they have a long term plan installed after Gibbs leaves as Head Coach and becomes solely a GM/talent evaluator.

What is the long-term plan for the Cowboys? I am not saying their isn't one, but it is crystal clear what the Redskins are doing. Everyone in Gibbs' first year said the game had passed him by. At least he was able to humble himself and bring in people with new ideas and try new things last year. This year he is doing the same. He posted the best division record (5-1) they have had in a long time and almost had them in the NFC championship game. They are not a Super Bowl caliber team yet, but you are what your record says you are.

Nice post.

I agree totally. I work with a few Cowboys fans and they are angry, jealous and confused. Angry because they aren't doing much so far, jealous because of our signings and confused as how we are doing this, yet again.

I disagree. I think we are Super Bowl calibur. I feel like, if the Seahawks can be in the Super Bowl, then before we even made any new acquisitions, we were a Super Bowl calibur team. We just needed to heal up & we simply didn't have the time to do that.

As far as the rest of what you said, I DO agree. Every year, the "sportswriters" say the same thing. "The Redskins are going to be in salary cap hell!" Really? When? How? Because obviously, Snyder is smart enough to not only know how to avoid it every year, but is able to add on to it by bringing in new people. And every year, they (the "sportswriters") scratch their heads, wondering how we did it.

What is the long term plan for the Cowboys?

You know, sell crack to little kids, pimp hos, pay off the cops, etc. You know, the usual. Most of that money goes to JJ's face lifts every spring. If he keeps it up, eventually, he's just gonna be a head with very short legs.

:dallasuck

Edited to comply with forum rules. ~ihs

The Cowboys are a couple of players away from being right where we're at. We had one more regular season win then they did.

I think if they can land a LB and get some O-line help and perhaps a S or CB then they will be right up to speed. The Cowboys have a solid nucleus....I think we are one notch up on them....but its only March 13th...still a whole FA period to go and an entire draft. (they did have a very good draft last year...could land some studs again).

Hey, I certainly don't agree with what the Skins are doing, but this was a good post.

I am done trying to say that the Redskins are going to cap hell. It is obvious that they "know" what they are doing in that regard. I also agree that Gibbs humbled himself, which is a great trait, and put guys on the field who know how to handle NFL games nowadays. that is a big man right there to admit that.

I am still in amazement that you guys were 7 million over, cut 5 guys of little consequence, then spent money like no tommorrow.

This year is going to be very interesting.

Edited to comply with forum rules. ~ihs

You know, sell crack to little kids, pimp hos, pay off the cops, etc. You know, the usual. Most of that money goes to JJ's face lifts every spring. If he keeps it up, eventually, he's just gonna be a head with very short legs.:dallasuck

Thanks for making me spit out my gum.... :laugh:

Cowboyssuckazz

You know, sell crack to little kids, pimp hos, pay off the cops, etc. You know, the usual. Most of that money goes to JJ's face lifts every spring. If he keeps it up, eventually, he's just gonna be a head with very short legs.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

If you pay attention to sportswriters, the same ones that keep Monk and Irvin out of the HOF, then by all means keep repeating their ill-informed biased mantra. None of them are qualified to be GMs, Head Coaches or contract negotiators.

If you ask me they are not qualified to be sportswriters neither.

The Cowboys are a couple of players away from being right where we're at. We had one more regular season win then they did.

I think if they can land a LB and get some O-line help and perhaps a S or CB then they will be right up to speed. The Cowboys have a solid nucleus....I think we are one notch up on them....but its only March 13th...still a whole FA period to go and an entire draft. (they did have a very good draft last year...could land some studs again).

We're built for the future and they're built for now. They have a LOT of aging players on offense.

A buddy of mine told me this last night in reference to Cap Hell

"How can the Redskins ever land in cap hell? Daniel Snyder didn't sell his soul to the Devil for all that money. The Devil sold his soul to the Danny for all that power."

Drunken comment, but I thought it was appropriate.

Hopefully LennyP and King will read this before they post here. We dont need them arguing with bubba again, just like last week.

Did I miss something?! Lenny "The Hut" and the Queen posted here?! :doh:

Links! Links! .. or at least, what Screen Names are they posting under?

The interesting thing about the so-called cap hell that everyone says the Redskins are in every year, is that they never are. .

Well... you're kinda-sorta right. The SKins are never in the trouble the media makes them out to be in, but... they are in trouble. The media gleefully reported that they were at $114 million against the cap when any fifth-grader could figure out that there were very simple steps they could take to step under it (mostly by reconfiguring guaranteed bonuses, which they did). As I've said before, it ain't cap hell, but it is cap heck.

Here's the problem for the Skins with the cap: they're thin. They devote a greater proportion of their cap dollars to the few players at the top than most teams do, and the result is that they have to rely on very cheap players to fill out the roster. Take a look at the cap numbers for the playoff teams last year: the Skins devote more cap room to fewer players at the top than the others. Every team has a handful of players who eat up lots of the cap, but the Skins take it to the extreme. Couple that with pretty poor drafting outside of the first two rounds, and you've got a problem.

When other teams lose an offensive lineman, they don't have to turn to a 45 year old. The Skins do. And they're still in that boat. They're going to be a very talented squad this fall, but they're not very far from being a terribly untalented squad.

Picture this: Springs gets injured. Or Griffin. Or Jansen. The talent level at those positions drops precipitiously. Now, no team has all-pros waiting in the wings, but other teams have slightly better backups because they pay them and develop them better. The Skins tend to have bargain-basement journeymen as backups, not future starters or significant contributors being developed. We have seen this at linebacker -- young players turning into starters over time -- but then they immediately leave, so I'm not sure it's a great example.

For the Skins prior to recent renegotiations, the top 8 players eat up about a third of the cap for 2006. That has changed, esp with the departure of Lavar, but there is the question of philosophy: if you have $5 million in cap room, what do you do with it?

Do you (A) sign two big talent stars, or (B) sign four pretty darn good players? That will, of course, depend on your needs, but if you always land on the "A" side of the fence, I suspect you end up in trouble eventually.

The Skins were remarkably healthy last year. None of their critical players went down until Thomas was KO'ed. Portis played in the playoffs pretty banged up. Imagine if Moss or Portis had been injured? Or Springs? Or Cooley?

You go from Cooley to Royal (last year). You go from Moss to... umm... well... I guess nobody. We know what you got when Thomas went out. So don't celebrate the Skins cap management too much. Everyone who writes that the Skins will have to demolish the team to get under the cap is a fool, but anyone who thinks there isn't a price for the way they manage the cap is also a fool.

MRMADD has a good point. The O- Line really has no depth. However, the defense has been suprisely good at developing no- name talent. Salva was a journeyman who is playing well. Griffen was a semi - bust. Clark was good last year. Lemar Marshall was undrafted and plays great. So defensively the Redskins have been fantastic at finding diamonds in the rough. I think the only real concern is O-Line and maybe the QB position. I mean WR is absolutely stacked now.

Here's the problem for the Skins with the cap: they're thin. They devote a greater proportion of their cap dollars to the few players at the top than most teams do, and the result is that they have to rely on very cheap players to fill out the roster.

When other teams lose an offensive lineman, they don't have to turn to a 45 year old. The Skins do. And they're still in that boat. They're going to be a very talented squad this fall, but they're not very far from being a terribly untalented squad.

Picture this: Springs gets injured. Or Griffin. Or Jansen. The talent level at those positions drops precipitiously. Now, no team has all-pros waiting in the wings, but other teams have slightly better backups because they pay them and develop them better. The Skins tend to have bargain-basement journeymen as backups, not future starters or significant contributors being developed. We have seen this at linebacker -- young players turning into starters over time -- but then they immediately leave, so I'm not sure it's a great example.

QUOTE]

Well put. Many of the reasons I mentioned I didn't think they were a Super Bowl quality team.

Can you link to those threads. I would love to read them.

lol they didnt post here. While I agreed completely with the post, I just found it amsuing the thread implies King and Lenny post on ES. As if King and Lenny would dare show their face around here. :silly:

A buddy of mine told me this last night in reference to Cap Hell

"How can the Redskins ever land in cap hell? Daniel Snyder didn't sell his soul to the Devil for all that money. The Devil sold his soul to the Danny for all that power."

Drunken comment, but I thought it was appropriate.

The reason we are always in cap trouble-- Danny signs as many players as he can for as much as he can to help his team.. We will always be over the cap at some point in the offseason.

The reason we are never in Cap Jail-- Danny is willing to spend his way out of Cap trouble be giving players money to restructure, buy out, retire their contracts.

The Cowboy fans make me laugh!!! :laugh: They ***** and whine about the Skins when we sign a FA saying all of our players suck and isn't worth the money.Yet they think it would be a great move if the Cowboys sign TO. :doh:

Now thats funny!!!! :rolleyes:

Just for the record........better than 75% of cowboys fans, would hate to see T.O. on our team......and think it would be a horrible move

Archived