Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Scouts Inc.'s Gary Horton Comment on Potential for 'Skins Offense This Year

skinsfannyc76

I was on ESPN.com and noticed this comment in the chat that's currently running...just thought others would get as excited as I did (while being sensible and recognizing that it's only March)...:logo:

Andy (DC): Wow, how good are the Skins going to be next year? Lloyd at #2 and Randle-El as the slot/gadget guy? And lets not talk about overpaying -- we offered less on average per year than the Bears did, just more of it in bonuses.

sn2.gifGary Horton: (11:21 AM ET ) They are going to go to a 3 WR formation with one back which could be devastating. Moss will be the go-to guy, Randle El will be the slot guy and Lloyd the possession guy. I think their philosophy will be much like Indy. Force defenses into nickel and dime coverage, spread the field, and you have a great speed runner in Clinton Portis. This offense could be devastating if they gel. That is obviously easier said than done. Their moves have been very true to what they want to do. As a fan, you have a clear idea of their plan heading into '06.

When I was reading his answer, it got me thinking Cooley's numbers may fall. He never even mentioned Cooley all through his response, and CC was our second best recieving option last season.

Their probably won't be enough balls to go around for everybody, someone's numbers have to decline. Yet I'll take that as long as it gives us the chance to be a more productive offense.

Does anyone know the run/pass ratio of the Kansas City chiefs the last few seasons? It could be a very big indicator to if our recievers will improve on their previous numbers or not.

Gary Horton's closing chat comment:

Gary Horton: (11:53 AM ET ) In closing, the first 2-3 days of FA have really been interesting. In my opinion, if you were looking to grade the leaders .. Minnesota, Washington, Arizona and Cleveland are at the top of the class .. these teams did great recruiting and targeted their needs and went after them. I think all four teams will be dramatically improved. I love to see teams sign players on the first day of free agency because that tells me they knew exactly what they wanted.

When I was reading his answer, it got me thinking Cooley's numbers may fall. He never even mentioned Cooley all through his response, and CC was our second best recieving option last season.

Their probably won't be enough balls to go around for everybody, someone's numbers have to decline. Yet I'll take that as long as it gives us the chance to be a more productive offense.

Does anyone know the run/pass ratio of the Kansas City chiefs the last few seasons? It could be a very big indicator to if our recievers will improve on their previous numbers or not.

Who the heck cares about numbers? We want to win and that's all that matters in the NFL.

What about Patten? No mention of him. Are people forgetting him or is he as good as gone?

Patten still has value to this team if he returns healthy.

assuming he's not traded (there is some value there- but not much since he's coming off an injury), he also gives us another option in 4-wide if Saunders has much in the way of that package, plus I think you'll see him on first down some, assuming RE and/or Moss are being used for return duties (which I hope happens)

of course, as the season goes and injuries happen, the added depth of having a Patten is a good thing, too IMO.

Portis runs best out of a 3 WR set, so it all makes sense

I was commenting on that last year.....when the skins spread the field with 3 WRs (or more) it forces DBs and LBs off the box (to play pass situations). This allows CP to build speed and get into the open field and shake tackles.

Clearly Gibbs and Saunders have their plan set.....now just need to get these guys in camp and see if they can execute the plan.

Archived