Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Snyder B/slapped Brown, Bidwell at CBA meeting!

Throwin64

It's really too bad that the NFL owners can't come up with performance measurables that owners must meet in order to keep ownership of their teams.

It hurts the NFL and all hard-working owners when an owner inherits a team (Michael Brown) or buys one (Bidwell) and rests on the laurels of the NFL and its loyal fans.

This is one of many reasons why we, Redskin fans and NFL fans, should be 100% behind Snyder and proud of his work, no matter how controversial. He is passionate about the Redskins and wants to see the Redskins, and the NFL, take it up another notch and thus putting the competition further behind (baseball, basketball, etc.).

Perhaps there should be a process for forcing or "encouraging" owners who don't make enough money and don't field winning teams to sell to someone who is going to make that sort of committment.

I think it was Wilbon on PTI during the CBA pissing contest recently who suggested in a half joking manner that the NFLPA should be fighting just as hard for a salary floor of say 75% of the salary cap as they were for an increased slice of the revenue pie. I have to admit, regardless of his intent I think the idea has merit if it will force the cheapskateand/or laissez-faire owners to enter the 21st century world of business instead of living off the televisions revenue equivalent of corporate welfare.

I could understand their plight if it was big market vs small market like in baseball but this is about big vs small revenue teams and revenue is a reflection of how an owner sells his product not how many people live around the team. If that were true then Chicago and the two NY teams would be at the top. Dallas and Washington aren't eatly the largest population centers. Great job by Dan!

Perhaps there should be a process for forcing or "encouraging" owners who don't make enough money and don't field winning teams to sell to someone who is going to make that sort of committment.

If you're going to share revenue there should be some measurable metrics by which owners are held with respect to how you're marketing your team and where the greatest percentage of revenue is generated. As an owner, I would think you'd want to know that. Trouble is, the top revenue-producing teams DO know where their money is coming from, it's hayseeds like Bidwell, Brown, and Wilson who wouldn't know an opportunity if it wrapped itself around them like a python. :doh:

I think it was Wilbon on PTI during the CBA pissing contest recently who suggested in a half joking manner that the NFLPA should be fighting just as hard for a salary floor of say 75% of the salary cap as they were for an increased slice of the revenue pie. I have to admit, regardless of his intent I think the idea has merit if it will force the cheapskateand/or laissez-faire owners to enter the 21st century world of business instead of living off the televisions revenue equivalent of corporate welfare.

Agreed. A salary cap floor would keep the owners from lining their own pockets and actually create a league with parity. You can not put a product on the field if you don't spend the money.

After reading that article, I have a new appreciation for Danny Boy and Jerry Jones.

Love him or hate him, you gotta admit Danny gets his point across, doesn't he?? :applause: :notworthy :applause:

This argument over who deserved the money was punctuated when Redskins owner Daniel Snyder, who controls one of the league's richest teams, said he was ready to help any team in a bad circumstance but then turned toward Brown and said, ''But if someone has a publicly funded stadium they pay $1 a year for with no operating costs, I'm not helping that person."

Snyder then looked at Michael Bidwell, son of the Cardinals' longtime owner, and snapped, ''If you have a publicly funded stadium in a great market and charge $10 a game for season tickets in the upper deck, I'm sorry sir, I'm not going to help you."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2006/03/12/behind_nfls_deal_a_driving_force/

Oh SNAP, I gotta give props to Synder for saying that :cheers: , bet you Jerry was saying deep in his mind. THATS MY DOG, THATS MY DOG.

Also were u guys this gung ho about money matters in the NFL when Jerry came into the league and started shaking things up.

Oh SNAP, I gotta give props to Synder for saying that :cheers: , bet you Jerry was saying deep in his mind. THATS MY DOG, THATS MY DOG.

Also were u guys this gung ho about money matters in the NFL when Jerry came into the league and started shaking things up.

Actually, and I'm speaking only for myself, I was used to being "gung ho" about money as a Redskins fan. JKC was doing the money thing before Jerry got into the league.

"At one point Cass [Ravens President Dick Cass] urged a funding plan that would require teams that did not spend between 52.5 percent and 55 percent of its total revenues on players to contribute a check for the difference to the new shared pool. Under that plan a team such as Snyder's, which because it makes so much uses only about 40 percent of its revenues for player costs, would have been asked to write a check for $30 million or more. Houston owner Bob McNair remarked he'd been sold a club for $700 million by the men in this room and then said to Cass, 'If we adopted your plan, I wouldn't be profitable.' In other words, not happening."

This quote from the article shows how bold some of the "small market" teams can be about demanding hand-outs from the haves. Cass's proposal was utterly ridiculous. I'll tell you who should give money back to the league: any team that does not spend at least 95% of the salary cap on players. It sickens me that the league has imposed a salary cap to foster competition and some of the league's owners have just pocketed some of that money after whining that they needed the cap to compete with the richer teams.

Snyder has come a long way. I remember before Gibbs came in when I couldn't stand the guy and assumed every move he made would be negative before he made it. I guess being an owner in the league is the same as a coach or player, it takes time to get settled. I hope Snyder holds onto this team for a long time, he finally seems to have figured out what it takes to run a successful franchise.

Agreed. A salary cap floor would keep the owners from lining their own pockets and actually create a league with parity. You can not put a product on the field if you don't spend the money.

After reading that article, I have a new appreciation for Danny Boy and Jerry Jones.

I believe there is a minimum and maximum cap, so they do have to spend the money, do now know what the numbers are though.

Archived