Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why does Patrick Ramsey want to go to the Jets where Starting Qb is not guarnteed?

skinfan2k

That is the question. I know i would like the chance to move on from washington, but i dont want to go to a palce where there is a qb competition. I would rather try to find a place like mimai, where i would be guaranteed the starting job.. in NYJ, there is a the possiblity of a 3 qb race with pennington, soon to be drafted cutler (assuming they still take him) and ramsey. I thikn ramsey is making a horrible decision in going to the Jets.

In yet another example of how cool we are here at ES ... I'm reopening this thread upon request, after realizing, with a little help ( ;) ) that it was worthy a stand-alone thread.

I'm penalizing myself a 12-pack of Heineken and two cheerleaders to be named later. :)

any opinons on this topic? with many teams needing a starting qb

Oakland- ramsey can fit well in a vertial offense with randy moss

49ers- they need a solution if alex smith does not pane out, maybe ramsey can be in their plans next year

Detriot- Joey harrington is not the solution, and mike martz may transform another qb into a superstar in ramsey. vertial offense there too

Mimai- nick saban is doing wonders there, and there are building a very good nucleus there. chambers and mcmichael are great players.

Saints- i was hearing that they are rumored to get drew brees, well i think that is a fair assessment, but i was thinking why they are not interested in a qb that could be the solution before leinart gets on the field.

You know, with Martz in Detroit, I'm kind of surprised we haven't heard more about that possibility. Martz put up with turnovers and such with Warner for a while, so Ramsey's mistakes (at first) might not bother him. And Warner and Bulger didn't have the arm Ramsey does. With the receivers they have, and Ramsey's arm to stretch the field, Martz would have a field day.

Of course, pertinent to your post, that's all moot if the Lions hitch their wagon to Harrington. To answer your question, I think Ramsey is thinking that beating noodle-arm out of a starting job shouldn't be that hard. And he is probably right, at least at the start of the season, as Pennington will need a while to recover fully, no matter what the doctors say.

I can say that because I'm a doctor. :cool:

No, not really, but I play one on TV. ;)

Damn it, nevermind! :(

That is the question. I know i would like the chance to move on from washington, but i dont want to go to a palce where there is a qb competition. I would rather try to find a place like mimai, where i would be guaranteed the starting job.. in NYJ, there is a the possiblity of a 3 qb race with pennington, soon to be drafted cutler (assuming they still take him) and ramsey. I thikn ramsey is making a horrible decision in going to the Jets.

You're kidding right? He wants out of DC where he's going to sit as the #3QB. I'm sure he'd love to have Miami as an option as well but the scuttlebut is that Culpepper may land there. NY gives him a chance to compete for the starting position against a guy coming off of rotator cuff surgery. He'll get a nice signing bonus to boot. Oakland might be an option as well but remember PR isn't holding the strings - the Skins will decide, in large part, where he goes based on what the team can get in return.

At least if Ramsey wins the starting job, he knows he won't get pullled after playing 1 half.

Plus I think the Jets really want to draft D'Brickashaw at #4.

Ramswey has a shot at a starting job with the Jets. He knows it will be easier to beat out Pennington than stay here and compete with Brunell and Campbell

Agreed, except for one minor point...

It's been made clear to Ramsey that he's not competing with Brunell and Campbell. That's why the Jets deal is a good opportunity for him. While it would be nice to simply land a starting job, you have to remember that Culpepper, Brees, Collins... All are in the hunt for a starting job, and have more "star power" attached to their name than Ramsey does.

I don't think Ramsey is GUARANTEED a starting job anywhere.

Exactly. He probably just wants the opportunity to legitimately compete for the position, something he isn't going to do in Washington as a result of the presence of Brunell and now Campbell.

good question. i dont think he'll have a guaranteed spot anywhere he goes, but certainly he can do better than the jets. if i had my choice, id go to the cards, where warner will certainly be gone in a few years, and ramsey will have time to learn the system and throw to LF and AB.

even if warner lasts out his contract, id put my money on him being benched/injured/retiring in no later than 2007.

I don't think Ramsey is GUARANTEED a starting job anywhere.

Bingo

You know, with Martz in Detroit, I'm kind of surprised we haven't heard more about that possibility. Martz put up with turnovers and such with Warner for a while, so Ramsey's mistakes (at first) might not bother him. And Warner and Bulger didn't have the arm Ramsey does. With the receivers they have, and Ramsey's arm to stretch the field, Martz would have a field day.

Detroit would be a good situation for him, but Warner certainly does have the arm that Ramsey does, as well as better accuracy than Ramsey. - That's where Ramsey and Warner are similiar - great arms and little mobility.

The Jets he'd at least to be allowed to grow (and make mistakes with eveyone else) with a team that is starting over.

Chad Pennington is done. Seldom do coaches stick rookies in ahead of proven starters. Ramsey has also meshed well with Coles in the past. I think it's a good move for Ramsey. While not his biggest fan, he's definitely an NFL-caliber QB and would be a good starter somewhere. I wish him well....

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Jets | Team closing in on Ramsey trade

Fri, 10 Mar 2006 05:31:26 -0800

Mark Cannizzaro, of the New York Post, reports two sources familiar with the goings on between the New York Jets and Washington Redskins, told The Post last night that the Jets and Jimmy Sexton, the agent for Washington backup QB Patrick Ramsey, have been actively working on the parameters for a trade that would bring Ramsey to New York. Talk is the Jets would give the Redskins a fifth-round draft pick in next month's NFL Draft as well as a possible conditional pick in the 2007 draft, depending on how much and how well Ramsey plays. That pick could be as high as a third-round pick should Ramsey start a certain number of games and perform to a certain level.

You're kidding right? He wants out of DC where he's going to sit as the #3QB. I'm sure he'd love to have Miami as an option as well but the scuttlebut is that Culpepper may land there. NY gives him a chance to compete for the starting position against a guy coming off of rotator cuff surgery. He'll get a nice signing bonus to boot. Oakland might be an option as well but remember PR isn't holding the strings - the Skins will decide, in large part, where he goes based on what the team can get in return.

I think your wrong - PR controls everything regarding his future with the Skins. If he is not traded he will not report until August at the earliest and maybe not even at that time. What's the point - there is no way he gets a chance in DC. Gibbs has a weird almost abnormal affinity for Brunnell & has invested a 1st round pick and 2 draft choices to get Campbell. When/if this happens you may come to hate PR - as for me I would applaud his stance. He is 27y/o it's time for him to be in a situation where he feels like he will have a legit chance to compete for a starting job!

I think your wrong - PR controls everything regarding his future with the Skins. If he is not traded he will not report until August at the earliest and maybe not even at that time. What's the point - there is no way he gets a chance in DC. Gibbs has a weird almost abnormal affinity for Brunnell & has invested a 1st round pick and 2 draft choices to get Campbell. When/if this happens you may come to hate PR - as for me I would applaud his stance. He is 27y/o it's time for him to be in a situation where he feels like he will have a legit chance to compete for a starting job!

i totally agree with this opinon. he can force himselve any where he wants, or be released. its in his ballpark.

With the re-signing of Pennington, I wouldn't be very suprised if the Jets traded for Ramsey, then packaged him in a deal with their #4 pick for the Saints' #2.

Just a hunch, but I have a feeling the Jets are determined to nab Leinart. This would also give PR a better chance at starting, not to mention it's in his home territory.

Ramswey has a shot at a starting job with the Jets. He knows it will be easier to beat out Pennington than stay here and compete with Brunell and Campbell

as so many have pointed out...nothing is ever guaranteed.. you have to produce to hold onto any job.

but at least there are some places where he won't get pulled after 1 quarter after winning the job. a fair chance to compete with a young coach.. that is all anyone can ask.

Archived