Extremeskins

Skins.com: Gibbs Expecting To Be Agressive In Free Agency

RDSKNFN_48

FIRE UP REDSKINS ONE:

CBA Talks: Owners Agree to New Deal

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

March 8, 2006

NFL owners agreed to a six-year extension of the Collective Bargaining Agreement on Wednesday evening. The vote was 30-2. The decision is expected to increase the 2006 salary cap substantially.

Free agency will now start on Friday morning, March 10, at 12:01 a.m. ET, according to NFL.com.

The salary cap is expected to be more than $104 million, an increase of the $94.5 million that would have gone into effect without an extension.

The lower salary cap figure would have forced several teams, including the Redskins, to release some veteran players.

Head coach Joe Gibbs and team officials had worked diligently over the last few weeks to restructure contracts of veteran players, including quarterback Mark Brunell. It is expected that those contract restructurings will be voided now that a new Collective Bargaining Agreement has been approved.

Gibbs has said that he expects the team to be aggressive in free agency with an extension of the CBA. Team officials have identified wide receiver, defensive line and cornerback help as positions of need this offseason.

"The way I look at it is that we are one of the aggressive teams in the league when it comes to signing free agents and doing the things we need to do," Gibbs said earlier this week. "Everybody has their own mode of operation, but for us we feel like being aggressive when we see players that we can add through free agency."

Quite frankly, anything gibbs touches turns into gold. whatever he does and whoever he cuts i will support him. cut Jansen, and i still support u. Just bring back the lomardi back to washington. i was too young to witness the celebration and who was it that caught a pass from the president(ricky sanders?)

Sign a certain somebody from the Rams.

Get D line help thru the draft.

But I do think we need a linebacker in FA.

How about this:

draft a DE since that position is deep this year. Then sign Howard to start at DE and help develop our pick. Sign Tommy Polley, OLB from Baltimore and out bid San Fran for the services of Brandon Lloyd, a restricted free agent WR who has star written all over him.

How about this:

draft a DE since that position is deep this year. Then sign Howard to start at DE and help develop our pick. Sign Tommy Polley, OLB from Baltimore and out bid San Fran for the services of Brandon Lloyd, a restricted free agent WR who has star written all over him.

If San Fran didn't match our offer, we'd have to give them picks based on what they've tendered him. I can't remember if they've done that yet or not but we probably don't have the picks, anyway.

I'm not a big Polley fan, either.

Are there any cut/waived players that we might sign before the start of free agency? Like an Ike Bruce, Sam Adams, Sam Madison, etc.?

I wonder if we would've cut Ramsey tonight if the new CBA did not get signed... kudos to the team for playing chicken on that one.

Archived