Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lavar's fit in the Cowboys 3-4

Ryman of the North

The one thing that nobody has mentioned about Lavar going to the Cowpies is the one thing that scares me the most. Parcells was the coach for the midgets when they unleashed another LB who was freakishly athletic but undiciplined and a bit of a free lancer, by going to th 3-4 in dallas and drafting the right people to fill it they set the stage for a pretty good D. Ware and arrington on the edges would be scary! aside from the fact that it would make the hated cowpies better I just dont wnat to see that!

In the 80's Parcells ,LT, and the giants changed the game, Only Gibbs and walsh were smart enough to figure ways to neutralise LT and even they had issues at times (see Joe Theismans career end) Parcells knows how to work the 3-4 as he practically invented the modern version, no where else would fit arringtons skill set so neatly even pittsburgh. Parcells knows how to coach Lbs perhaps better than anybody else.

I hope that he goes to pittsburgh as he has family and is popular there and he would be a good fit but we wouldnt have toi deal with a motivated Lavar 2x a year.

There will be freaking because of the myriad threads about Lavar but this is a new spin on it and I didnt want to get caught up in the stupid tide, I wish people would realise that every person doesnt have to add their 2 cents to every thread when their opinion is the same as 500,000 others. Ive been posting here from the start and its getting tedious trying to have a decent discussion with intelligent analysis which is why this used to be such a great forum, now its turning into a white noise forum where you have to search for stuff.

I remember Parcells made the comment earlier in the year, "Give me Arrington and I'll show you how to use him." That comment did kind of scare me as well, but I don't think LA will end up on the Boys, or in the NFC East for that matter. I think he ends up in Cleveland with Romeo Crennel. They've got tons of cap-room and are in desparate need of 3-4 LBs.

And as TRJB said, LA is good, but he's no LT, that's for damn sure. In fact, I'd say Lavar's protege, "Lights Out," has a better shot at becoming the next LT than Arrington does.

I don't think he will go to Pittsburgh; they are already stacked at LB.

Thanks Jrockster, Even LT was not LT until properly used in the NFL. Merriman will be close tho he lacks the ridiculous quickness that LT had in his prime but he is bigger and strnger than LT was even in his prime. Arrington if he comes back all the way from his injury may be the closest thing physically to LT since Thomas in KC. the package of athleticism and speed is rare. If Parcells gets Lavar it could get pretty bad, never underestimate the power of anger and pride and I think that despite his comments to the contrary Lavar feels disrespected and angry and would be very motivated.

Thanks Jrockster, Even LT was not LT until properly used in the NFL. Merriman will be close tho he lacks the ridiculous quickness that LT had in his prime but he is bigger and strnger than LT was even in his prime. Arrington if he comes back all the way from his injury may be the closest thing physically to LT since Thomas in KC. the package of athleticism and speed is rare. If Parcells gets Lavar it could get pretty bad, never underestimate the power of anger and pride and I think that despite his comments to the contrary Lavar feels disrespected and angry and would be very motivated.

Yes...the speed/athleticism combo is indeed rare. But that's not all that defined LT; as bubba pointed out, LT had that killer instinct; he rarely overpursued a play, and was very good at sniffing them out. It was almost like he was in the huddle some times. Arrington has some good instincts some of the time, but some of the time he is way off. The problem is, he trusts his instincts too much, which causes him to be out of position a lot. Can someone like Parcells coach him up to buck that trend? I hope we never find out. :doh:

I wish him all the best; he has been and will be one of my favorite Redskins of all time. And if god forbid he does end up in the silver and blue, I wish him 14 good games a season! ;) I still want the Cowgirls to go 0-16 every year, but that doesn't mean LA can't have some monster stats!!

I could see LA fitting in a 3-4 well. I'm not too worried if we see him twice a year though. Our coaches know his strengths and his weaknesses. LA is nowhere near as disciplined as LT was, and will never be any where close to that level either. Any time LA plays us he will probably neutralized and exploited. Just keep him away from the QB though.:silly:

Arrington said that he would like to stay in the NFC East, except for Dallas. Riggins brought that up yesterday on Afternoon Blitz (Sirius NFL). So, I'm more worried about him going to NY, where Pierce has been actively calling for him to come, or to Philthy.

Honestly,

I could care less.

LaVar is all hype.

He is not even the best linebacker on This team.

He was a liability here. He is a head case.

If he wants to make some personal vendetta against us..I say:" bring it on LaVar!"

We will run right at you while you take the blocker on with the wrong shoulder, scoring in the process.

Then, we will run a pass to the player that just crossed your face.

It will be easy, I know, because I have seen you do it here for years.

I could go on and on...

Then there will come the huffing and posturing that always arises when its excuse time.

Bye lavar I hardly knew ya. Go knock someone else out with your "potential"

I am glad we are changing the culture around here to one that I can relate to.

a Winning TEAM.

Scared????

Bunch of wussies! If there is any coaching staff in the league who knows how to take advantage of LaVar's shortcomings, well ...

Probably the best way to use LaVar is to simply unleash him. But you have to live with the mistakes. LaVar might be somewhat similar, athletically and instinctually, to LT, but he will never give you the same kind of domination that LT exhibited. When LT came into the league, there was no one else like him. He was so physically superior that teams had to change the way they played against him. These days, however, that gap in physical talent is virtually non-existent. Offensive tackle these days are much more athletic. Same with tight ends. I'd even venture to say that running backs have become better at pass blocking...it's required, now, because of LT. Consider this too--LT played with some GREAT defensive teammates. The Giants defenses in the 1980s were among the very best of all time. It wasn't all LT. If an offense try to focus on LT too much, they got killed by his teammates.

Really, LaVar doesn't "scare" me any more than a Joey Porter, or a Shawn Merriman, or a Rosevelt Colvin. All outstanding players you have to prepare for. But they are all a cog within a defensive scheme. I certainly don't see LaVar surpassing those players just by being "turned loose" in a 3-4 defense.

LaVar ain't going to turn around any defense just by himself. And I think that's been his downfall in Washington. That's the role he has always seen himself in. He's always tried to do too much. He wants to make every tackle. Every play. In a sense, that's commendable. But not so smart. I think the days of featuring one player in a defense like the Giants did with LT are long gone.

I don't think Parcells likes Arrington.

Taylor was an unbelievable pass rusher off the edge, both from the DE and OLB positions.

LaVar is nothing like that as a pass rusher.

To top that off, he's bad in coverage and misses assignments. So he's a bit of a liability at LB.

All he really does is run around like a chicken with his head cut off and drill whoever's got the ball a few times a game.

Parcells ripped into Demarcus Ware for doing exactly that at the beginning of the season.

LaVar's the poster boy for that kind of play.

Which is why I don't think Parcells will go after him and also why I don't think LaVar's going to generate quite the interest people think, especially from NFC East teams.

The issues LaVar's had with both Marvin Lewis and Gregg Williams also won't help him either. Any good team with sense is going to be scared off by that....

Arrington said that he would like to stay in the NFC East, except for Dallas. Riggins brought that up yesterday on Afternoon Blitz (Sirius NFL). So, I'm more worried about him going to NY, where Pierce has been actively calling for him to come, or to Philthy.

Yeah, right! He also said that he wanted to be a Redskin for life. Turncat ****.

Did LA say he will NOT wear a Cowboys jersey or he can nor see himself in a Dallas jersey?

He said that he couldn't see himself wearing the Cowboy uniform. We all know that doesn't mean he wouldn't.

I know if Parcells called me and told me this is what we are going to do, and I liked it, I would be open to going down there. Especially being able to play the team that let you go.

I don't know if most of ya'll remember him saying at the start of training camp last year that he was out to try to prove his coaches wrong, because some of them thought that he could not play at a high level anymore.

The motivation is there. Would I go, maybe, because in the end, no matter what the players may say, or what the coaches may say, it's mainly about money. So if the money is right then hey why not. Anywhere other than Arizona!!!!!!

On another note, but speaking on the same subject, some of these folks on this site, really need to think about what they are saying before they start typing. I sit here and read some of this junk and it is crazy!! Just crazy.

Whether or not you like a player or not, at least be real, don't just come out and say a guy is a bumb, or over rated. By whos standards is someone over rated? Think about it. One guy said that he would have rather had Urlacher, how in the world do you know that anything would have been any different with him. Urlacher has had stability, Arrington has not. Has he been great...nope, but gee whiz folks the dude ain't been terrible either. Has he said and done everything right...nope, but is every missed tackle, and every score that came against us his fault?

As someone else said LT wasn't "LT" until they figured out how to use the guy. Do you think Joe Montana would have been as good as he was in the Run and Shoot offense???? Probably not. How about if he didn't have receivers such as Rice, and Taylor and Craig??

We really need to start thinking before we just start typing!! But we all have opinions!!!! Again I say, I'll be in the background watching to see who is next on the love him one minute hate him the next minute circle.

Yeah, right! He also said that he wanted to be a Redskin for life. Turncat ****.

See this is the type of thing I am talking about. How is a guy going to be a **** just because of the decision he and the team made. As I said before, it is not him to decide whether or not he remains a "Redskin for Life" That is up to the folks who sign the check. Any player could honestly say that they want to be in a certain place for the rest of his career, but it ain't up to him.

I think the dude probably did want to stay here, but if your boss comes up to you and says, o.k. these are your options.........and none of them look good, you and the team have to do what they have to do. But gee to call a guy a **** is.......................wow!!! This board is getting crazy!!!

I remember Parcells made the comment earlier in the year, "Give me Arrington and I'll show you how to use him." That comment did kind of scare me as well, but I don't think LA will end up on the Boys, or in the NFC East for that matter. I think he ends up in Cleveland with Romeo Crennel. They've got tons of cap-room and are in desparate need of 3-4 LBs.

And as TRJB said, LA is good, but he's no LT, that's for damn sure. In fact, I'd say Lavar's protege, "Lights Out," has a better shot at becoming the next LT than Arrington does.

I don't think he will go to Pittsburgh; they are already stacked at LB.

I find it exceptionally hard to believe that Parcells said that about Arrington. What you are paraphrasing is basically a shot at our staff and that’s something BP would never, ever do. Dallas will have no interest in Arrington because he is not a heady ball player and rates about 0.5 in football intelligence. Parcells strike you as the type of player who will allow someone to freelance and just live with the blown assignments? LA will be best suited to a defense that 2-gaps up front (any 3-4, and some 4-3s) playing directly behind a monster defensive end. Best destinations? NYG, SD, and Baltimore. Worst destinations? Any of the Tampa-2 defenses where he will have to drop into coverage a lot like Indy, Chicago, and now Detroit.

I’m not worried about LA no matter where he goes. The simple fact is that he couldn’t ask for a better situation then he was in here. His issues were self-inflicted and will continue to follow him wherever he goes unless he finds the fountain of maturity. All the money in the world, more jerseys in the stands than just about any player, and a HOF coaching staff to die for in DC. Sure he could make some plays here and there for whatever team he goes to but he’ll be plagued by the same inconsistency that marked his career in Washington. I just don’t understand the folks who act like he’s some Greek God who is going to go to a division rival and rain fire down on our team. Remind me how many of the 20+ games against Dallas, Philly, and NY he dominated? His signature play is ending Aikman’s career in a game WE LOST. I’m waiting to turn on ESPN and see him turning water into wine. Fact is, about the only time he’s effective rushing the passer is when he gets a well-timed free shot on the QB. And that’s if he managed to stay onsides. Last 3 years: Shawn Springs, 7.5 sacks. Arrington, 7 sacks.

for a linebacker who has played his entire career in a 4/3 and had trouble adjusting to different coordinators it is folly to say he will dominate inthe 3/4... that is even a greater adjustment to make.

one guy the skins might pick up is ben leber, of the chargers.. he had exactly that problem-- could not adjust to the 3/4.. we will see what lavar can do. who knows the 3/4 might suit his talents better. but one thing for certain, if he blows assignments the scheme won't matter

Archived