Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are the 'Skins the Ultimate 1st round flunkies?

>>Spearhead>>

Granted all draft picks are crap shoots, but has any other team equalled our foul luck in drafting in the 1st round?

Samuels has been a consistant pro bowler, and hopefully Taylor will be around for many more seasons but you really have to go back to 1983 and Darrell Green to find a 1st round pick that became a true cornerstone of the franchise.

Maybe we are just due.....

I don't know, we haven't been horrible in the 1st round.

1999: Champ Bailey

2000: Lavar Arrington and Chris Samuels

2001: Rod Gardner

2002: Patrick Ramsey

2004: Sean Taylor

2005: Carlos Rogers and Jason Campbell

Bailey, Arrington, and Samuels are all multiple Pro Bowlers. Taylor will be great for a long time. Jury still out on Rogers and Campbell, but Rogers looks like he'll be solid.

Gardner and Ramsey were disappointments, but at least they weren't total busts. I mean Gardner did have a 1000 yard season. Better him than FredEx or David Terrell.

Are you kidding? Not even close. For one example, how about the Cleveland Browns? They took Courtney Brown with the #1 overall pick, then took Gerard Warren with #3 overall I think, and then followed that up by drafting Kellen Winslow Jr.

WEhat about Detroit and their WR pattern?

WEhat about Detroit and their WR pattern?

Jury is still out on them but I wouldn't say they are busts yet.

However, picking the #1 WR 3 years in a row borders on incompetence on the part of their GM. And Mr. Millen hasn't exactly made any other stellar pickups.

Bailey, Arrington, and Samuels are all multiple Pro Bowlers. Taylor will be great for a long time. Jury still out on Rogers and Campbell, but Rogers looks like he'll be solid.

Gardner and Ramsey were disappointments, but at least they weren't total busts. I mean Gardner did have a 1000 yard season. Better him than FredEx or David Terrell.

Yeah but for the players that came prior to 2004, only one will be with the team next season. (As of now, but that could change.) :doh:

Some may argue Ramsey was'nt given a fair shake, and some are going to be really pissed off when he goes else where and makes things happen.

We have had two problems and that is why it does not seem to be working out in the draft. 1. Spurrier could not evaluate talent if his life depended on it. I mean seriously he really couldn't. Our franchise has been in such a constant turnover (on a coaches standpoint) that there is no consistency. Champ Bailey is the best corner in the league. The reason we did not keep him is because we signed all our money to Lavar. We didn't keep Lavar because we switched coaching staff and we wanted a disciplined Defense and not some wild abandonment. Samuels is a franchise tackle and to find one of those through the draft is amazing. And Taylor is a beast. If he does not get locked up for 43 years that is a great pick, even though he gets fined and spits at people. Jury is still out on Campbell and Rogers. Pulling what we pulled last year to get campbell made me mad last year. But thinking about it, we would of had to trade up to get a QB with any skill this year. And some Draft analyist were saying campbell should have been the #1 overall pick. Anyway, I think it is reasonable to say that time will tell with this years #1 picks but trust me when I say this, other teams have been far worse in drafting. Browns, Bengals, Lions, ect.

If it means anything we also traded our 1st round pick in 03 for Laveranues Coles, who gave us over 2000 yards receiving in 2 years here.

We then traded Coles for Moss, who gave us 1500 yards receiving this year.

Thats quality value for that pick. :)

EDIT: I'm a Hall of Famer!

Are you kidding? Not even close. For one example, how about the Cleveland Browns? They took Courtney Brown with the #1 overall pick, then took Gerard Warren with #3 overall I think, then took William Green at RB, and then followed that up by drafting Kellen Winslow Jr.

How about the Cardinals. Even when they get a fairly good player in the draft, he proves not to have been the best available!

Yeah but for the players that came prior to 2004, only one will be with the team next season. (As of now, but that could change.) :doh:

Prior to 2004:

John Riggins (if you include guys we gave up #1s for)

Dave Butz (see above)

Art Monk

Mark May

Russ Grimm (well, sort of since that draft pick was much of the reason we had no number 1 the next year)

Darrell Green

Of course, the one thing truly in common among first round successes is a successful, long-term coach.

Granted all draft picks are crap shoots, but has any other team equalled our foul luck in drafting in the 1st round?

Samuels has been a consistant pro bowler, and hopefully Taylor will be around for many more seasons but you really have to go back to 1983 and Darrell Green to find a 1st round pick that became a true cornerstone of the franchise.

Maybe we are just due.....

You've read too many fan62 posts. Define a cornerstone? Name how many first round QBs have won a SuperBowl besides Big Ben?

1999: Champ Bailey (top player traded for another top player)

2000: Lavar Arrington (toast)

Chris Samuels (top player)

2001: Rod Gardner (toast)

2002: Patrick Ramsey (toast but we will still get something in return)

2004: Sean Taylor (should be a top player if he isn't in the slammer!)

2005: Carlos Rogers (Jury still out)

Jason Campbell (Jury still out)

Some may argue Ramsey was'nt given a fair shake, and some are going to be really pissed off when he goes else where and makes things happen.

Abso-friggin-lutely, he will wind up killing us at some point in time, because the new coach WILL give him a fair shake wherever he goes! :2cents:

Browns are the biggest in the first round bust category. Couch, Courtney Brown, Kellen Winslow, Gerard Warren, William Green, Jeff Faine. Those are the picks since team unfortunately returned in 1999. Braylon Edwards looks promising, but he started injured and ended his season early w/ an injury. Sounds like the recipe for another Cleveland Bust to me.

I think this all has to get back to Coach.... The Ol'e Ball Coach was out out his damn mind. I actually had a chance to meet Steve at the South Carolina HighSchool Coachs clinic last spring while I worked with Coastal Carolina Universitys support staff, aka I was the student film guy, but when I asked him about why He had failed in Washington he said and I quote " We dident have much talent it was a bad situation I just had to get out" I was in shock! Because it was his terrible drafting that lead to the " bad sitatuion". Patrick Ramsey is going to be a Pro Bowl QB one day and then we'll all ***** and complain about how we miss him. JC is going to be decent at best because how hard can it be to hand off to C.Williams and R.Brown.... Seriously... So pretty much Lavars release and some previous "bust" all go back to the fact this team has not had a good Coach since Coach Gibbs left the first time and I think Danny Boy finally got the franchise back on the right track with bring Joe back....... So hopefully the next couple of drafts will be good to us... HAIL

Archived