Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are the 'Skins the Ultimate 1st round flunkies?

>>Spearhead>>

Are you kidding? Not even close. For one example, how about the Cleveland Browns? They took Courtney Brown with the #1 overall pick, then took Gerard Warren with #3 overall I think, then took William Green at RB, and then followed that up by drafting Kellen Winslow Jr.

It's a truly depressing list, and you haven't even added Tim Couch to it; he is probably the biggest bust of them all.

Let's see:

1999: Champ Bailey

Hit the jackpot here. I'm not basing this on his time with us, but his career in general so far. We're the ones that saw that in him and drafted him. A+

2000: Lavar Arrington and Chris Samuels

LaVar: Everyone knew we were getting LaVar. He was the Reggie Bush of this draft. He's been great so far, but he had a hard time getting on the field with Gibbs. I'll count that against him... B

Chris: Chris had some bad moments. Good thing he doesn't have them anymore. He's elite. A

2001: Rod Gardner

UGH. GROSS. BLEGH. F.

2002: Patrick Ramsey

Ramsey has been the best 32nd 1st Rounder ever. I hope that gives him comfort when he's either fighting for a spot with old man Brunell/young man Campbell or on another team. He hasn't been bad, though. He's been mediocre, in my opinion. Fans demand greatness in a QB, sadly. C+

2004: Sean Taylor

How did he NOT make the Pro Bowl? I'm stunned he didn't. Obviously an A.

2005: Carlos Rogers and Jason Campbell

CARRRRRRLOS: He's not Champ. He will never be Champ. He's been great and could easily be our best CB, but don't compare him to Champ. B+

Jason: I don't know. Neither do you. Only he, God, and Gibbs do.

Are you kidding? Not even close. For one example, how about the Cleveland Browns? They took Courtney Brown with the #1 overall pick, then took Gerard Warren with #3 overall I think, then took William Green at RB, and then followed that up by drafting Kellen Winslow Jr.

It's a truly depressing list, and you haven't even added Tim Couch to it; he is probably the biggest bust of them all.

The Skins have actually done real well in the 1st rd of the draft. It's rds 2 thru 7 where they've been pretty terrible, with exception of a guy like Cooley. That's why I have a low opinion of Vinny Cerrato. Later rds are where a guy in Vinny's position should be making his money.

I don't know, we haven't been horrible in the 1st round.

1999: Champ Bailey

2000: Lavar Arrington and Chris Samuels

2001: Rod Gardner

2002: Patrick Ramsey

2004: Sean Taylor

2005: Carlos Rogers and Jason Campbell

True, there have been some great guys that have come in for us. I think the question is, how have they performed for us while here?

The time Bailey spent here, he was a solid player. That's part of the reason that we could get Portis for him.

Arrington was solid until the injury.

Samuels has been a good performer.

Gardner - the toe and an apparent lack of motivation caught up to him.

Ramsey - a pretty good QB that just didn't seem to fit here.

ST - played great the past two years, but who knows if he'll be here or in the clank next year?

Rogers - played great last year, and will hopefully continue down that road.

Campbell - all indications are that he's going to be a solid starter, and will be ready during this coming year, if not already.

I don't think that this has been a bad class for us, just that they haven't necessarily maxed their potential. The ones that are still here continue to perform at a strong level, and look to be solid for the future.

I would rethink this one. since 1999 - eight first round picks. how many are still with the team? 4 (assuming PR will be gone soon). 5 of those first round picks were in the top ten - the cream of their drafts. of those four....three are starters. in short, half remain with the team and less than half are starters. of the 5 top 10 selections....3 remain: a fair record. that is not building from inside and that is not a good return on investment.

I think we have done a decent job in the draft. Part of the problem is the hype. Everyone hypes up these guys beyond belief and then when they don't come in and perform like superman on steroids people want to label them a bust. With the coaching staff we have now let's just focus on the future and except the past for just that...the past.:helmet:

You've read too many fan62 posts. Define a cornerstone? Name how many first round QBs have won a SuperBowl besides Big Ben?

Before our time, but still:

McMahon

Elway

Kelly (I mean, but, come on)

Marino (See above)

Aikman

Bledsoe (He was the starter on the team!)

But yeah, I guess six(ish) out of the last 20+ years isn't exactly disproving your point.

Yeah the Skins first rounders, on the most part,

have been dissappointing...especially in the early

90s:

Desmond Howard

Heath Shuler

Michael Westbrook

OL Andre Johnson

DT Bobby Wilson? I cant remember the exact name?

Trading away first rounders hasnt been very glorious either:

#1 and #3 for Dan Wilkinson (5 good but not great years)

#1 and #3 for Brad Johnson (2years)

#1 for L. Coles (2years)

I certainly hope Campbell and Rogers will be great long time Skins

:applause:

I trust Joe Gibbs drafts after seing what Darrell green did and many more Skins who lasted many of years. I will never rank his drafts with Norv Turn or Steve Spurriors choices. Look what hes done for us in only 2 years, kinda hard not to trust the coach.

I think the Lions get the worst of all the drafts, they were suppose to be a beast and still ended up being a lil puss.

Before our time, but still:

McMahon

Elway

Kelly (I mean, but, come on)

Marino (See above)

Aikman

Bledsoe (He was the starter on the team!)

But yeah, I guess six(ish) out of the last 20+ years isn't exactly disproving your point.

Someone needs to brush up on their history. Marino, Bledsoe, and Kelly never won SBs.

In the last 20 years, we are looking at Big Ben and Aikman as 1st round QBs who have won a title with the team that drafted them. That's all folks. Even Elway didn't win with the team that drafted him (Colts).

"You've read too many fan62 posts. "

well...when rationalizing is the first priority....guess you could be right.

I have been looking at the long term return to investment on #1 picks since 99. the talent selected could be outstanding - it's what the team did with it that counts. we won't get around to the cost invested to get many of those #1 picks. cornerstones are not my issue.

but...toodles!

Archived