Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shaun Alexander re-signs with Seattle...

wilbur58z

...according to Jay Glazer:

FOXSports.com has learned that the Seattle Seahawks have agreed to terms with Pro-Bowl running back Shaun Alexander on a whopping eight-year, $62 million deal that includes in excess a total of $15 million in the first year in bonuses (signing and roster) and salary.

The Alexander deal is not contingent upon a new CBA getting done as the Seahawks have the necessary cap space to make such a move. However, the contract still has to get approved by the NFL front office and Alexander needs to sign the contract.

Just spoke with a friend of mine in the front office of an AFC North team and he told me that that the dealine for cutting players is going to get moved again!! I asked him to give me a percentage on these chances and he said, "it is 99% sure to happen and that a CBA will get done within the next few days". He also said that talks did NOT break officially off today but instead were put on hold so the the owners committe could be updated.

Breathe easy Skins fans, it will get done!!!

HTTR!!!

Also Ahman Green resigned earlier.

"Seahawks | Team agrees on eight-year deal with Alexander

Sun, 5 Mar 2006 19:44:37 -0800

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the Seattle Seahawks have agreed to terms on an eight-year contract with RB Shaun Alexander. The deal is reportedly worth $62 million and includes in excess a total of $15 million in bonuses and salary the first year. It is not known how the deal is structured with regards to how much cap space the deal takes up in the first year of the contract. Alexander was eligible to become an unrestricted free agent March 6."

"Packers | Green contract update

Sun, 5 Mar 2006 19:37:26 -0800

Updating previous reports, ESPNews reports the one-year deal RB Ahman Green received from the Green Bay Packers is worth between $3 million to $5 million."

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Guest peele

Good!! There were a lot of Panther fans thinking they would get him and they can't match that offer. At least I don't think anyways.

I hate Seattle, I don't really know why. I like most of their fans, especially the ones that talk on here and I like most of their defensive players. I just don't like Seattle and I've never liked Shaun Alexander, I still think he's soft and his numbers are a product of the defenses he faces. Doubtless I think he's a good starter in this league, but nowhere near the best.

Sorry for that tactless, off-topic rant. Good for Seattle, he doesn't do anything against the skins, we'll beat them in the future regardless. :cheers:

I just heard it on Fox Sports Radio. This is the first time in a while that a big named player has stayed in Seattle. Probably going back to Steve Largent. :whoknows:

Seahawks: Chris Warren, Joey Galloway (OK not really big named players but big name for Seattle)

Mariners: Randy Johnson, Ken Griffey Jr, Alex Rodriquez

Super Sonics: Gary Peyton, Nate McMillan

I hate Seattle, I don't really know why. I like most of their fans, especially the ones that talk on here and I like most of their defensive players. I just don't like Seattle and I've never liked Shaun Alexander, I still think he's soft and his numbers are a product of the defenses he faces. Doubtless I think he's a good starter in this league, but nowhere near the best.

Sorry for that tactless, off-topic rant. Good for Seattle, he doesn't do anything against the skins, we'll beat them in the future regardless. :cheers:

Amen brother, amen!

I still think his success had more to do with their line than him. Don't get me wrong, he's a good RB, but it was their line that let him do so well stat wise. They really need to keep Hutchinson. I still think not franchising him for only a 600k saving might hurt them cap wise in the long run. You only save 600k if he plays the year without a long term deal. If in the long run he's going to sign a long term deal, don't you want to dictate the terms. If they had franchised him I really doubt anyone would have given up 2 #1's for any guard, even one as good as him. When he signs a long term deal, his cap number is going to be lower than either the franchise or the transition number. Getting back to Alexander, if they have signed him, good for them, you always want to keep your key players.

I still think his success had more to do with their line than him. Don't get me wrong, he's a good RB, but it was their line that let him do so well stat wise. They really need to keep Hutchinson. I still think not franchising him for only a 600k saving might hurt them cap wise in the long run. You only save 600k if he plays the year without a long term deal. If in the long run he's going to sign a long term deal, don't you want to dictate the terms. If they had franchised him I really doubt anyone would have given up 2 #1's for any guard, even one as good as him. When he signs a long term deal, his cap number is going to be lower than either the franchise or the transition number. Getting back to Alexander, if they have signed him, good for them, you always want to keep your key players.
it wasnt just his line,it was the fact that he plays in the weak NFc west,if u cant run on cards,niners,...then something is wrong.

I just heard it on Fox Sports Radio. This is the first time in a while that a big named player has stayed in Seattle. Probably going back to Steve Largent. :whoknows:

Seahawks: Chris Warren, Joey Galloway (OK not really big named players but big name for Seattle)

Walter Jones?

chris warren stayed here a long time before he finally left.

joey galloway got traded cause he sucked here.

the mariners players all wanted out, yeah.... griffey wanted to play in cinci where his dad played, i think randy just got sick of playing here, and arod's a dick.

payton got traded for ray allen, good move, and i'm not sure how mcmillan left, i thought he played here till the end, i'd have to look.

and no, i'm not a seahawks fan, i just live here.

Not sure I agree with this move. He's past the prime of his career. I guess he got the money he wanted, though. Good for him.

He's past the prime of his career? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? He's 28 years old, just led his team to the Super Bowl with an MVP season, broke the record for TDs in a season, and you say he's past his prime? WOW - unbelievable.

HTTR

cortez kennedy?

shawn kemp?

leroy hasselbach?

He's past the prime of his career? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? He's 28 years old, just led his team to the Super Bowl with an MVP season, broke the record for TDs in a season, and you say he's past his prime? WOW - unbelievable.

HTTR

He'll be on a downslide beginning this year and then moving thereafter. Bank on it.

Oh and as far as yardage and TDs go. It does help that they have two of the best linemen in the league anchoring the left side. We'll see how well he does if Hutch leaves.

cortez kennedy?

shawn kemp?

leroy hasselbach?

Kennedy Salary Cap Causality

Kemp don’t know he left before I got up here, maybe he got too fat and too many kids

leroy hasselbach :laugh:

Oh yea I forgot to mention Ichiro, he is still up in Seattle. And

peckerwood you are right I did forget Walter Jones. But you get what I am saying, a lot of big named players in all sports have left the Emerald City.

They really need to keep Hutchinson. I still think not franchising him for only a 600k saving might hurt them cap wise in the long run. You only save 600k if he plays the year without a long term deal. If in the long run he's going to sign a long term deal, don't you want to dictate the terms. If they had franchised him I really doubt anyone would have given up 2 #1's for any guard, even one as good as him. When he signs a long term deal, his cap number is going to be lower than either the franchise or the transition number. Getting back to Alexander, if they have signed him, good for them, you always want to keep your key players.
When I heard they tagged Hutch with the Transition tag, I was upset because I thought it meant they weren't that serious about keeping him. However, I later learned that the reason they used the transition tag instead of the franchise tag had nothing to do with saving any money, nothing much to do with the cap, and that they indeed want him to stay.

When they were tagging Walter Jones with the franchise tag, he was wanting a long term deal, wasn't getting it, and would hold out, sometimes into the regular season. With Hutch, they don't want to repeat any of that drama. They want to get him signed to a long term deal. With the transition tag, the Seahawks can match anyone's offer and keep him. That means Hutch can shop himself around and make his best deal, and he can know what his fair market value is. With the franchise tag, no other team would even talk to him, since it means they have to cough up not only a huge contract, but a pair of 1st round picks as well.

Once I learned that, life got better.

When I heard they tagged Hutch with the Transition tag, I was upset because I thought it meant they weren't that serious about keeping him. However, I later learned that the reason they used the transition tag instead of the franchise tag had nothing to do with saving any money, nothing much to do with the cap, and that they indeed want him to stay.

When they were tagging Walter Jones with the franchise tag, he was wanting a long term deal, wasn't getting it, and would hold out, sometimes into the regular season. With Hutch, they don't want to repeat any of that drama. They want to get him signed to a long term deal. With the transition tag, the Seahawks can match anyone's offer and keep him. That means Hutch can shop himself around and make his best deal, and he can know what his fair market value is. With the franchise tag, no other team would even talk to him, since it means they have to cough up not only a huge contract, but a pair of 1st round picks as well.

Once I learned that, life got better.

So if I was a team with good cap space and maybe even a division rival why would I not offer him a contract with an unpalatable structure for the Seahawks. If they match, it messes with Seattle cap possible benefiting you later and if they don't you get a very good guard and you remove one from a rival without giving them anything in return. In an age where the structure of the contract is just as, if not more, important than the bottom line numbers why would you let someone else dictate the terms when you had the power to control them yourselves.

So if I was a team with good cap space and maybe even a division rival why would I not offer him a contract with an unpalatable structure for the Seahawks. If they match, it messes with Seattle cap possible benefiting you later and if they don't you get a very good guard and you remove one from a rival without giving them anything in return. In an age where the structure of the contract is just as, if not more, important than the bottom line numbers why would you let someone else dictate the terms when you had the power to control them yourselves.
There aren't that many teams with significantly better cap space than Seattle right now. But the main reason a team wouldn't make an insane-high offer like that is that the Seahawks might choose not to match it -- and then what? A team would spend all its cap space on one player? No, a team can only make an offer it is prepared to follow through on. For us mere mortals, it's kind of like buying a house or bidding at an auction -- you only make serious offers, 'cause offers intended solely to mess with the market can (and usually will) come back to bite us in the @$$.

Your point about contract structures is a good point, though. I think that with the transition tag, the team has a week to match an offer. If you are the team bidding on Hutch, and I'm the Seahawks, if you'd made an extremely high contract offer with a structure I didn't like, I'd be using that week to negotiate with Hutch to see if we could agree to a contract with similar dollar figures but a better structure. If he agrees, great. If not, then at the end of the week I either bite the bullet and match your offer, or I let you deal with paying for that contract.

There aren't that many teams with significantly better cap space than Seattle right now. But the main reason a team wouldn't make an insane-high offer like that is that the Seahawks might choose not to match it -- and then what? A team would spend all its cap space on one player? No, a team can only make an offer it is prepared to follow through on. For us mere mortals, it's kind of like buying a house or bidding at an auction -- you only make serious offers, 'cause offers intended solely to mess with the market can (and usually will) come back to bite us in the @$$.

Your point about contract structures is a good point, though. I think that with the transition tag, the team has a week to match an offer. If you are the team bidding on Hutch, and I'm the Seahawks, if you'd made an extremely high contract offer with a structure I didn't like, I'd be using that week to negotiate with Hutch to see if we could agree to a contract with similar dollar figures but a better structure. If he agrees, great. If not, then at the end of the week I either bite the bullet and match your offer, or I let you deal with paying for that contract.

Good analogy, and for the record I don't think Hutch is going anywhere

I do think he will stay in Seattle but there are two thing I want to point out. Now that the cap has risen to $102 mil everyone is a player in free agency. A team doesn't have to have more money than Seattle to screw them with a tough contract. Second, If Hutch signs an offer with another team, Seattle can't negotiate a different contract. He has already signed a contract, the only questing is which of the two teams he will play for. Seattle has two choices, match it at the terms he signed or not match it and let him go.

I do think he will stay in Seattle but there are two thing I want to point out. Now that the cap has risen to $102 mil everyone is a player in free agency. A team doesn't have to have more money than Seattle to screw them with a tough contract. Second, If Hutch signs an offer with another team, Seattle can't negotiate a different contract. He has already signed a contract, the only questing is which of the two teams he will play for. Seattle has two choices, match it at the terms he signed or not match it and let him go.
I think you're right about matching the offer terms, I hadn't thought of that. Nevertheless, a team would still have to be serious about following through on any offer if the offer is huge, because they just might have to pay it. And even with the CBA extension, Seattle is still in far better cap shape than most other teams.

But if I'm Hutch, I'm not signing anything before I shop around. So if Team A makes an offer, I'm going to take those terms to team B and see what they can do. And after I've talked to all the teams that are interested, I'm going to talk with the Seahawks again to find out what they're willing to do. Hutch has said that he wants to play in Seattle, so I think he will stay in Seattle, too.

Archived