Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is there anything to keep Danny from "buying" draft picks?

Awesome2

OK, hypothetical situation:

Clinton Portis gets killed in a car accident tomorrow while riding with Ladell Betts. :(

Betts is killed also. :(

We are left without a real running back to speak of (Cartwright doesn't exist) :(

Say at the time Dan Synder is at the combine in Indianapolis developing a man crush on Reggie Bush. Danny loves Reggie and Reggie loves Danny. But Snyder doesn't have a high enough pick to get Reggie, he doesn't even have a 1st round pick.

Snyder decides to call the Texans and offer them $20 million or something along those lines to "buy" the rights to the number 1 pick so he can get Reggie Bush. Give them a 6th round pick in a straight up trade for their 1st, helped along with a few brief cases full of cash.

That would just be an extreme example. Say Joe Gibbs and Al Saunders are in love with Vernon Davis and absolutely have to have him, threatening to both retire if we are unable to obtain him. Could Snyder call up the Jets owner and say, "OK, guys, you're going to give me the number 4 overall pick, we're going to give you Patrick Ramsey and $15 million".

Would this be legal? Could we get in trouble with the league over this?

I don't think you need to kill off half our team in order to pose the question. :)

But I don't believe there is anything preventing teams from selling picks.

Keep in mind that not only would you be paying say 20 million for the rights to the pick, but another 20 million or so in upfront money to the player. That's pretty ridiculous for a player who never played a down.

The league has to approve every trade, including trades involving draft picks. I'm thinking this wouldn't be approved.

I think this is our winner!

The league would not approve, and I think it would be viewed as bad business ethics when all is said and done. It pretty much avoids the cap and we'd go back to a pre-cap era dominated by a few teams again.

even if it was allowed, why the hell would snyder do it? 20 million?? are you kidding me? he might as well buy rights to play in the super bowl.

I'm not to sure on that though. I got this idea from somewhere else where it was like "just give the 49ers 3 million dollars for their pick".

But why would they do that? The team really doesn't need such a small amount of money like that and with a guy like Reggie Bush, you're going to make at least 5 times that in jersey/ticket sales.

Kind of like how the Cavaliers had to draft Lebron (due to hype) over Darko Milicic, Carmelo Anthony, or Dwyane Wade, just because of the fact that you know people will buy his jersey and come to see the games. If you don't really follow the NBA I apologize for this analogy.

$20 million probably is too much, but that's kind beside the point in relation to this question.

I got a hypothetical.

Mark Brunell, Joe Gibbs brother Jeff Gibbs, and Santana Moss all die in a steel mill accident... EXCEPT Sean Taylor creates a time machine, but only goes forward in time to when hes in jail.

Umm... the end?

Oh yea yea question... um so why does dallas suck so much?

interesting... i think the time machine will sap some of ST's freakishness. Cuz their dallas. :D

even if it was allowed, why the hell would snyder do it? 20 million?? are you kidding me? he might as well buy rights to play in the super bowl.

Come on guys he said hypothetical and extreme situation in order to get his point across. Maybe you did not read his entire post. I think it was a great question but agree that it would not be approved by the league when presented.

I got a hypothetical.

Mark Brunell, Joe Gibbs brother Jeff Gibbs, and Santana Moss all die in a steel mill accident... EXCEPT Sean Taylor creates a time machine, but only goes forward in time to when hes in jail.

Umm... the end?

Oh yea yea question... um so why does dallas suck so much?

Wow....I had a dream like that the other night:laugh:

Do you have a link or a source on that? It's cool if you don't, I'm just curious.

It was actually surprisingly hard to find a good source for league approval of trades because I guess it's usually just a formality, and trades don't really happen as much in the NFL as they do in other sports, but with a little help from Google:

http://www.nwherald.com/SportsSection/pro/317619989004010.php

In granting Henry's trade demand, the Bills provided the running back a homecoming of sorts after he played his college career at Tennessee. He is the Volunteers' career leading rusher with 3,078 yards – an average of 5.5 yards per carry.

Tennessee had not yet announced the deal. A spokesman for the Titans declined comment.

The Titans had been attempting to negotiate a contract extension with Henry. The extension was not key to the trade being completed. Henry is due to make a base salary of $1.25 million next year.

Donahoe said Henry was expected to report to the Titans and take a physical today.

Donahoe said the Titans had agreed to the deal in principle last Tuesday and that the NFL had approved the terms of the deal Friday.

http://www.seahawks.com/ardisplay.aspx?SecID=45&ID=5234

The Seattle Seahawks and Cleveland Browns have agreed in principle on a trade that would send veteran QB Trent Dilfer to the Browns for a fourth round draft pick.

The trade, pending league approval and Dilfer passing a physical on Monday or Tuesday, would include the fourth round draft choice in the 2005 NFL Draft that the Browns acquired last week from the Denver Broncos in a deal for DT Gerard Warren.

Archived