Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wayne Resigns Big Deal in Indy

supersmartbrunell5

inmate- the rule is that u can only prorate the signing bonus over 4 years (technically3 years past the end of the CBA). But the contract can be as long as u want,. A big signing bonus will hurt the cap in the meantime before an extension comes(and it will eventually!)

I probably wasn't real clear in my post. What I meant was the Colts are reportedly way over the cap like the Redskins. How can they be signing Wayne to such a huge contract, unless they are pretty sure the CBA is going to be extended?

Now maybe we'll stop hearing dumbasses talk about how we'll get Reggie Wayne.

So people that talk about topics that you care nothing about are dumbasses? Get a life. Everyone here knows Wayne was never going to be a viable option, but as in 'fun'..you know..fun, it's nice to think of Dan pulling some magic out of the air and getting something done. So don't go raining on others people wishes..if you don't like it, don't read it much less respond with negative blurbs of immaturity. We are all the same page right? Redskins FANS :logo:

For those criticizing Indy for letting Edge go and spending their money on Reggie Wayne, I just think that in today's NFL a running back has become very expendable, even more I guess than a 1,000 yd 2nd WR.

exactly. ppl are acting like RBs are hard to find. Just look at some in the possible FA market: Edge, Shaun Alexander, Jamal Lewis, Chester Taylor, and DeShaun Foster.

In hindsight, it was awfully stupid of the Colts to pay Stokely that big contract. I love that team, but it was stupid. But I do agree with this decision (James Vs Wayne). As far as Indys cap, they were never way over. As a matter of fact they were projected to be just at the cap for this upcomming season. which reminds me that if you think about it, then Wayne's cap hit shouldnt be too bad. (13.5/6= 2.25 + base, which should be about 500K-1mill the first two years, so somewhere around a $3M hit for the first couple of years. Not bad for your future #1 receiver)

For those criticizing Indy for letting Edge go and spending their money on Reggie Wayne, I just think that in today's NFL a running back has become very expendable, even more I guess than a 1,000 yd 2nd WR.

I guess you're right but it's still mindblowing to me.

Seriously, everyone think about it, if you had a choice between Clinton Portis or Reggie Wayne for the Redskins in 2006 who do you take?

RBs are possibly expendable, but true franchise backs aren't.

My list of true franchise RB (a single player who elevates his team) regardless of the situation, not coming off major injury and are still in their prime years are the following:

Clinton Portis

Shaun Alexander

Willis McGahee

Edgerrian James

Larry Johnson

LaDainian Tomlinson

That's it.

Sorry, if you have one of those guys, you don't let them walk and keep a Reggie Wayne. :2cents:

Colts have done well in the running back dept.

Last year Larry Johnson was in the who's that category before priest holmes was injured.

Is it shuan alexander or the left side of the line?

The 7 to 8 million dollar per yr running back is going to be a thing of the past.

I can understand the Colts' thinking

you see how many WR busts there are

if you have one that knows the system, his routes, and has the timing down with your $100 million dollar QB, you keep him (but at that price? no)

I'd think it's much easier for a RB to learn his role than a WR

Guess we have to look for another #2 wideout for a much cheaper price. Everyone knew they would keep him and let Edge go, and I would have done the exact same thing. In their offense they can make an average back look good, but they definitely needed wayne.

You guys keep saying number 2 WR. Frankly, I think he has the talent to be number one. And it isn't like Marvin is getting any younger . . . .

negative

he's benefited from having Marvin Harrison, who is constantly double teamed

plus he's had problems in press coverage, and has dissapeared against some average corners

in other words, he hasn't proved he's a capable #1, but instead, an excellent #2

Before long the colts will be just a shell of a team.

8 probowlers and 45 or so undrafted free agents.

Manning, Harrison, Wayne, and O-Line on the books

That Defense is never gonna be anything but Freeny.

Nothing but entertainment, NOT Contenders.

:cheers:

Their defense also has Bob Sanders, Robert Mathis, Cato June, Corey Simon, Marlin Jackson and Mike Doss. Not a bad group of football players.

Archived