Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Have you ever saved someone's life or had your life saved?

HailYeah

This was inspired by the "What's the scaredest you've ever been?" thread.

Here's my story:

First just a little background. This was the summer after my freshmen year in college. I didn't want a summer job that was too demanding so I decided to lifeguard at my old elementry school. I wasn't too excited about the new CPR regulations that required lifeguards to get their certifications renewed every year. Not that I didn't think it was a good idea, but I got certified my senior year of high school so I thought I still had a good grasp of it and considered myself able to perform CPR. Well, the training day was a bit of wake up call. Not only did I realize that I am not as good of a swimmer as I thought (500m was about 400m more than I had ever swam at one time in my life) but let's just say I was damn glad I freshened up on my CPR before lifeguarding for 50 little kids at a time.

Later that night, I get home and my dad tells me that our dog of 12 years is sick and they had to take him to the animal hospital. Well, this bums me out cause I knew he was getting old but I seriously loved that dog. To make it worse, when I got to the animal hospital my mom was waiting for me and she said the vet told her it was best to put him down that night. At this point, I'm completely distrought. So I say good bye to my dog and go wait in the car for my mom to come out.

This was in Springfield, VA near Old Keene Mill Rd. which is a pretty busy street. My mom and I are driving, not really saying much, just upset. My mind is spinning with memories. Up ahead we see some commotion, a group of 5 five or six people standing in a circle in the middle of the road. I jump out of the car and run up to the group. On the street in the middle of them is a guy on his stomach, in a very awkward position, his cheek on the pavement, his butt kind of up in the air. He's convulsing, there's a lot of blood. Then I see his leg, it was gruesome. I'll just say his leg was clearly broken and leave it at that. The people are shouting at each, other, "he just came out of nowhere!!!...I didn't see him!!....Is he breathing?..." One guy is already on the line with 911, he says, "ok, ok, everybody calm down. does anybody here know CPR?" Of course I say, "I do." I grab the phone and the 911 operator tells me to see if he's breathing, ect. He is breathing but not normally and I'm pretty sure something is stuck in his air passage. They say to do a mouth sweep which I do, trying not to move his head at all, and I get what appears to be chewing tobacco out of his mouth. But I tell them I don't want to move him cause I'm afraid about his neck. They say ok. He seems to be breathing normally now. Soon the paramedics get there and take him off. They give me this anti-bacterial foam to get the blood off my arms and face. I'm gald I didn't have to do CPR because first I would have had to turn him over with other people who wouldn't know what they're doing. I don't feel like I saved his life, but I do feel like if I hadn't been there it would have been worse, and possibly some one would have paralyzed him if not killed him. If I hadn't taken the CPR class that morning, maybe I would have killed him because I thought I knew more than I actually did. Regardless, this was one crazy day.

wow, good read. I am sorry about you're dog tho. I don't think I've ever saved someone's life before. The most I've done when I was younger was grab my brothers arm before he walked into the street just as a car zoomed past. Scary.

Yeah, I never thought something could take my mind off my dog that night. But sure enough...

I do it everyday...I'm one of the the proud and underappreciated. I am a Medic. I see people posting about the small things that they have done like keeping someone from walking out into traffic. That does save lives! It is often the small things like that. Plus, you don't have to get a visit from me!

Now don't think people are dropping like flies here in Radford, but sometimes someone will call 911 for reasons you would be amazed...like being lonely. That being said, sometimes just giving that person a caring ear and someone to talk to on the way to the hospital may be the difference for them thinking they are all alone in the world. In other words, that could be saving a life! Or even a small part of it. So yeah...been doing this for 10 years...might have had a small part in some lifesaving.

One time before a flight at the airport, I had visions of the plane exploding in mid-air. I knew right then something was wrong and told everyone to not get on the plane. Most people ignored me except for a handful of similarily aged characters. The plane ended up blowing up, so I managed to save the lives of the people who listened to me.

Oddly enough, they began dying in bizarre circumstances during the next several days, one by one..

I do it everyday...I'm one of the the proud and underappreciated. I am a Medic. I see people posting about the small things that they have done like keeping someone from walking out into traffic. That does save lives! It is often the small things like that. Plus, you don't have to get a visit from me!

Now don't think people are dropping like flies here in Radford, but sometimes someone will call 911 for reasons you would be amazed...like being lonely. That being said, sometimes just giving that person a caring ear and someone to talk to on the way to the hospital may be the difference for them thinking they are all alone in the world. In other words, that could be saving a life! Or even a small part of it. So yeah...been doing this for 10 years...might have had a small part in some lifesaving.

Man its you guys that I respect so much.

On this night, when the medics got there I told them the situation, he's got a heartbeat and he's breathing. This girl medic was like, "Wow, that's great! What good news." or something to that affect with a big smile on her face. This was a good situation from her point of view. Here's this guy on the street, half-dead, and I'm thinking these people see much worse than this everyday.

Big ups yourself!

I share my story. My brother and I were visitng our aunt sister in Coasta Rica. We went to a beach called Punta Uva. Well came with my aunt siter, her daughter, and my aunt sister's friends. Their friends had two kids one 13, and other one like 7. Well the beach we were in had a strong current.

So my brother and the little kid were in the water. Then all if a sudden a wave came in and knocked us out, and we saw the little kid in front of us, having trouble staying on top of the water because he was too deep, so I went up to him and grabbed, him and told my brother to hand me the boogie board, and so he got on it, and my brother took him back to shore.

I've actually had a few run-ins like this, but the "best" one was when I was driving home from a business trip on the NJ Turnpike. There's a pretty big camper being pulled by a Ford truck about a half-mile in front of me. All of a sudden the camper begins to weave back and forth, wildly. The driver loses control and veers across a couple of lanes of traffic before the truck and camper flip over on the side in the middle of oncoming traffic. There was a propane tank on the back of the camper that exploded into flames when the camper flipped. The camper caught on fire rather quickly...not sure what the flames got a hold of but that thing started to burn right away. Me and another fellow stopped immediately and kicked in the window of the truck and pulled the husband and wife from the truck. As we're pulling the guy out he says my kids are in the camper - OH ****!!!

So I climb on top of the camper and open the door...jump inside and start grabbing the kids. They had FIVE of them. Lifted them up to the other guy who pulled them to safety. Amazingly, nobody was seriously hurt...few bumps and bruises...a little bit dazed, but okay. After I climbed out of the camper and was checking on the family...know what the mom asked? If I would go back in and get their pet parakeet :laugh: ....Uh, NO!

New Jersey state trooper arrived on scene and ****ed at me and the other guy for stopping our cars in the middle of a lane and now we're blocking traffic. Told us to get in our car and get the hell out of here :laugh: . No kidding.

...but the rush that I got from that event was eventually what led me to become a fireman (volunteer) in town.

I don't remember it, but apperently when I was about 5 years old me and my brother were both hit by a truck. According to the lone eye witness (some lady...I can remember her yelling at me before I was hit) I pushed my brother out of the way and took the brunt of the impact. He was knicked by the truck and was in the hospital for 2 days. I was in for 2 and a half weeks.

Sucks that I can't remember any of it. I just remember the lady yelling at me and then 2 bright lights bearing down on me.

I saved a puppy from drowning once. Saw a dog sitting at the end of a dock peering quietly into the water. I walked out there and saw that there was an exhausted puppy that had jumped or fallen into the lake and started paddling around, trying to get out the way he went in. Mama dog was sitting there, confused as to why her puppy didn't just climb out. Stupid dog. So I reached in and grabbed the puppy. Got some thank-you licks in return.

I also saved some kids at the ocean south of Virginia Beach. None of them could swim, they were clinging to an inflatable raft with a leak in it, and the whole pathetic crew was stuck in a mild riptide that was taken them away from shore as they began to sink. Mom, who also could not swim, was crying hysterically on the beach. I went out there, realized there was a riptide, gave the kids my boogie board, swam parallel to shore for about 15 seconds with them kicking behind me, and helped them in.

Didn't get any thank-you licks for saving the kids, but that was fine by me.

Saved my best friend from drowning in a lake once.

His house backed up to the lake, and he had steep hill going straight at the lake. Anyway, we used to ride his riding mower backwards down the hill (stupid I konw) and we'd hit the breaks and stop. Well one day it was wet out and he went down backwards, but couldnt stop, so he went into the lake and the mower came down on top of him. It was only about 3 1/2 deep but he was trapped under the mower and didnt pop up. So I jumped into the lake, pushed the mower off and pulled him up. He said he couldnt move under it. He owes me still.

As a lifeguard when I was 15-18, I pulled 2 people from the water. One may have been OK on their own, but I wasn't willing to wait and see, the other was a 8 year old girl that hit her head on the diving board, split her head open and knocked herself out. I had to do mouth to mouth etc...

She ended up being my Latin teacher's daughter, I think he passed me becasue of that alone. I should have failed his class.

As a lifeguard when I was 15-18, I pulled 2 people from the water. One may have been OK on their own, but I wasn't willing to wait and see, the other was a 8 year old girl that hit her head on the diving board, split her head open and knocked herself out. I had to do mouth to mouth etc...

She ended up being my Latin teacher's daughter, I think he passed me becasue of that alone. I should have failed his class.

Karma lol. You save his daughter, you pass Latin. Its all good. :applause:

I never had that experince before.

My moms Boss once saved a guys life. They were at the gym, and the guy had a heart attack I think, and Mom's Boss was only one who knew CPR and noticed fast enough, gave him CPR until medics got there, The guy lived and sent him this special plaque thing, hanging on his office door now.

• 2 weeks later...

Missed this one the first time around. Or at least forgot about it. Yes to both. Had mine saved and went into that in the worst injury thread, though I do believe the good Lord above has kept me alive a couple of more times as well the past 10 or so years.

Helped save my brother from drowning when I was 8. Saved several if not many when I was a medic in the Air Force back in the mid 80's. I and my teammates to be more exact. Have saved a couple of lives since then while being a construction worker. One 8 1/2 years ago and another, ( maybe so they tell me), about 6 months ago. Told that one in another thread as well. Have to dig it up.

Archived