Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just for Speculation Only: Say Cheney resigns, who gets his job?

88Comrade2000

This is just for speculation only. I'm not saying the man Cheney accidentally shot dies.

Just say this sad event leads to the eventual resignation of Cheney at some point. It could be the perfect excuse for Cheney saying he wants to retire and spend time with the family.

My question: Who would Bush pick?

This would be important because who Bush picks could affect the outcome of the next presidential race. Heck, the person bush picks could eventually be his successor. The right person could end up being the favorite for the 2008 presidential race.

So just for speculation purposes only, if Cheney decided to resign- who would you replace him with?

speaker of the house

edit: its not a choice, its in the constitution, the speaker automaticaly becomes vice

Are you sure? I thought that was after the death or resignation of a President, then a death or resignation of the VP

I am pretty sure Gerald Ford was NOT the speaker of the house when he replaced Agnew

Susession: If the Vice President and the President both die (or are otherwise unable to perform) then the Speaker becomes Acting President. (Followed by, I think, the Sec of State, then Defense, and then through the cabinet in an order to be determined (based on record within their division, and strength of opponents schedule).)

If the Vice leaves office, but the President's still around, then he appoints a new Vice (subject to Senate confirmation).

(See: Gerald Ford.)

As to a hypothetical choice: What makes you folks think Bush would be making the choice? If such a vacancy occurs, the GOP is gonna be leaning on him really hard, because whoever he appoints prety much is being appointed as the GOP candidate for '08. (Unless he apoints someone who's so weak politically as to not be a threat to other potential candidates. I could see him, say, nominating his wife, or Hariet Myers, without raising a fight.)

Susession: If the Vice President and the President both die (or are otherwise unable to perform) then the Speaker becomes Acting President. (Followed by, I think, the Sec of State, then Defense, and then through the cabinet in an order to be determined (based on record within their division, and strength of opponents schedule).

Alexander Haig would disagree with your presidential succession list. :laugh:

If Condi tells Bush she isn't running in '08, I think Bush will try to position someone he wants to be the next president. My guess - Senator George Allen from good ol' Virginia.

If Condi tells Bush she is running in '08, I don't think Bush will nominate her as VP. She has a much larger stage as Sec of State and a much larger impact on policy. If Condi is running, Bush will nominate someone that is not a threat to Condi in '08. Maybe Senator John Warner from good ol' Virginia.

Alexander Haig would disagree with your presidential succession list. :laugh:

OK, so it's off-topic, but that's one of my "hot buttons".

"Al Haig's attempted coup" was (IMO) a media-created myth. He never said he was President, or even that he was next in line to be President.

I heard his entire speach. The first thing he did was go to great lengths to say that the Vice President was in charge. He said that the Vice was returning to Washington, that he was on military transport, and that he had secure communications, of the same grade as if he'd been on Air Force One. (I suppose it would have been more technically correct to say that the plane that Vice was on was at least referred to as "Air Force One". But it wasn't the plane that people think of when they hear that name.)

He then said that "and I'm in charge, here at the White House" (the phrase that got quoted), but went on to explain that normally in situations like this, the White House staff is coordinated by the Chief of Staff (a person who isn't in the Presidential sucession at all), but that he (Haig) had met with the chief, and the two of them had decided that Haig should coordinate things in DC because of his much greater experience in Washington politics.

Haig wasn't claiming that he was in charge of the nukes. He was claiming that he was coordinating when the next press conference would be, and rescheduling the folks who were scheduled to meet the President this afternoon, and who's meeting the Vice when he lands at Andrews, and so forth.

I thought his speach was exactly what needed to be said to the people at the time. "The President's been shot, but he's still alive, the doctors are working on him, and the government is being managed."

OK, so it's off-topic, but that's one of my "hot buttons".

"Al Haig's attempted coup" was (IMO) a media-created myth. He never said he was President, or even that he was next in line to be President.

I heard his entire speach. The first thing he did was go to great lengths to say that the Vice President was in charge. He said that the Vice was returning to Washington, that he was on military transport, and that he had secure communications, of the same grade as if he'd been on Air Force One. (I suppose it would have been more technically correct to say that the plane that Vice was on was at least referred to as "Air Force One". But it wasn't the plane that people think of when they hear that name.)

He then said that "and I'm in charge, here at the White House" (the phrase that got quoted), but went on to explain that normally in situations like this, the White House staff is coordinated by the Chief of Staff (a person who isn't in the Presidential sucession at all), but that he (Haig) had met with the chief, and the two of them had decided that Haig should coordinate things in DC because of his much greater experience in Washington politics.

Haig wasn't claiming that he was in charge of the nukes. He was claiming that he was coordinating when the next press conference would be, and rescheduling the folks who were scheduled to meet the President this afternoon, and who's meeting the Vice when he lands at Andrews, and so forth.

I thought his speach was exactly what needed to be said to the people at the time. "The President's been shot, but he's still alive, the doctors are working on him, and the government is being managed."

Larry,

I totally agree with you that what Haig did was needed at the time. But, you cannot take away from the fact that he said this, which was not correct:

"Constitutionally, gentlemen, you have the president, the vice president and the secretary of state, in that order, and should the president decide he wants to transfer the helm to the vice president, he will do so. As for now, I'm in control here, in the White House, pending the return of the vice president and in close touch with him. If something came up, I would check with him, of course."

Larry,

I totally agree with you that what Haig did was needed at the time. But, you cannot take away from the fact that he said this, which was not correct:

"Constitutionally, gentlemen, you have the president, the vice president and the secretary of state, in that order, and should the president decide he wants to transfer the helm to the vice president, he will do so. As for now, I'm in control here, in the White House, pending the return of the vice president and in close touch with him. If something came up, I would check with him, of course."

I'm rather surprised. (In fact, I'm a lot surprised.)

I don't remember anything like that quote at all.

Now I suppose it's possible that I'm simply mis-remembering it. (Contrary to everyone's opinion of me, I am capable of error.) But if nothing else, I would think that if he'd actually said all of that I'd have seen it quoted more often.

However, it's off-topic, and not that important.

I'm rather surprised. (In fact, I'm a lot surprised.)

I don't remember anything like that quote at all.

Now I suppose it's possible that I'm simply mis-remembering it. (Contrary to everyone's opinion of me, I am capable of error.) But if nothing else, I would think that if he'd actually said all of that I'd have seen it quoted more often.

However, it's off-topic, and not that important.

I do find it very fascinating that whole affair with Regan-Bush-Haig and what happened

I am curious as to what the chaos was in the moments after JFK was shot

I do find it very fascinating that whole affair with Regan-Bush-Haig and what happened

I am curious as to what the chaos was in the moments after JFK was shot

While Haig had the succession wrong, he was right in "taking control" when he did. Remember, we were at the height of the cold war with the Soviet Union at the time.

speaker of the house

edit: its not a choice, its in the constitution, the speaker automaticaly becomes vice

That's only if both the president and vice-president were to leave office at once- thru whatever means.

If a VP resigns, then the president wouldn't appoint someone-subject to approval by the Senate- I'm pretty sure about the senate part.

Archived