Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Questions about 2 towns in mid atlantic area

GSF

Hello all. I am looking at 2 new jobs in the DC area, and hoping maybe someone can give me some info. 1 job is in Cambridge MD, and the other job is in Shepherdsville KY, close to Louisville. I'm interested in schools, cost of living, weather, recreational stuff, and whatever else you can tell me about these 2 areas, and what it's like living there. Thanks in advance!

I live near Cambridge (about 30 minutes away) and it is your typical Eastern Shore town. Lots of water based activities, a relatively low cost of living but located close to the much more expensive western shore of Maryland. It puts you at about an hour and a half away from DC and Baltimore and an hour from Annapolis. You are also about an hour from Ocean City and the beaches (traffic SUCKS on weekends in the summer time because of tourist) As for weather, hot and humid in the summer, nice cool weather in fall and spring and pretty cold in the winter...it rarely snows here, maybe a couple times a winter. I am not too sure about the schools, I'm sure you can look that up online somewhere though.

There's some basic info, if you have any more specific questions, ask away!

Hello all. I am looking at 2 new jobs in the DC area, and hoping maybe someone can give me some info. 1 job is in Cambridge MD, and the other job is in Shepherdsville KY, close to Louisville. I'm interested in schools, cost of living, weather, recreational stuff, and whatever else you can tell me about these 2 areas, and what it's like living there. Thanks in advance!

How is KY "in the DC area"? here's a couple sites that compare costs of living per salary, housing etc..

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html

http://jobmarket.nytimes.com/pages/jobs/?excamp=GGJMcostofliving

http://www.homefair.com/homefair/servlet/ActionServlet?pid=200&tool=salarycalculator&previousPage=116&cid=homefair&fromState=KY&toState=MD&salary=100000&fromCity=2148000&toCity=24F0034&ownrent=own

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/

dks,

Thanks for the info. Do you know how long it takes to get to Richmond Va from there? Do you have to go all the way around, or is there a ferry you can take across the bay?

GSF,

There is a ferry that runs seasonally from Reedville, VA to the Eastern Shore (not sure exactly where, to be honest); I think it runs to Tangier Island, and then to the shore. If you have to go all the way around, it is a long drive from Chincoteague, say, to Richomnd, almost 3.5 hours, if memory serves. That ferry ridge helps. Once you get to Reedville, Richmond is a straight shot down 360, about an hour and a half, maybe two.

OK, I think I can help. Eventhough my location says "living in a van down by the river."...the closest river to my house is the Wicomico River in Salisbury, MD. As DKS said Salisbury is about 1/2 hour from Cambridge. I do some business there and pass through there a lot. As DKS said, it is a typical small town on the Eastern Shore. Cost of living is considerably less than the towns over the Chesapeake (Baltimore, Washington, Annapolis) and you still have many of the modern conviences to get you through life....Wal-Mart, McDonalds, Arby's, etc. There is a very nice Hyatt conference center/hotel in Cambridge on the Choptank River. Nice gold course at the Hyatt too! :cool: In fact, George W. Bush was just there last week. :)

The housing prices are increasing there (as of all of Maryland) but are still affordable for most people. PM me if you want a name of a Real Estate agent that can get you listings. I am a loan officer and have many contacts in that arena.

Also, the corporate office of the mortgage company that I work for is in Richmond, so I travel there about once every month or two. After reading a post above, I guess I was unaware about a ferry from Reedville, VA. I heard there was supposed to be one from Crisfield, MD (in the Tangier Sound) to Reedville but the funding wasn't in place to do it. So, I guess the above poster is speaking of another one that I am not aware of...I have tried three different ways to go to Richmond and all take 4 1/2 hours approxiametly. I have headed south down RT 13 to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel and then up through the tunnels at Hampton Road (could be the worst stretch of Highway in the country) to Richmond; tried taking Rt 50 back towards D.C. to 95 south (Woodrow Wilson Bridge = 2nd worst stretch of highway in the country) or RT50 to 301 South (most frustrating strectch of road due to traffic lights every 500 feet) over the Potomac River Bridge. All will take well over 4 hours... :(

Weather is what DKS told you. Recreation is fishing, hunting, fishing, hunting, fishing and hunting....oh yeah, and boating on the Choptank River. Like I said above there is a nice golf course in Cambridge and several more within an hour that are nice courses. Hopefully you like to fish, hunt, or golf. :)

You are only about 2 hours from FedEx Field, also ;)

School system? I can ask my significant other, she is a teacher in Wicomico County (salisbury, md) but she can probably get state testing, scoring, and demographic info on the school system in Dorchester County (cambridge, md).

If you need anything else, ask or PM me.

dks,

Thanks for the info. Do you know how long it takes to get to Richmond Va from there? Do you have to go all the way around, or is there a ferry you can take across the bay?

not sure if anyone answered this, but i believe to get to richmond you take the chesapeake bay bridge tunnel (it's a 20 mile long birdge/tunnel that connects the eastern shore virginia counties to the western shore of virginia). im not sure of the exact time it takes to get to richmond using that route but im assuming it is faster going this way than it is to cut across maryland.

I haven't found too many listings online.

Try ChampionRealty.com.

Cambridge is in Dorchester county. I just tried Cambridge and got 229 residential listings.

Very scenic town on the outskirts. Growing rapidly with a lot of new construction. The secondary public school system needs work.

Archived