Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ha ha haaaaa Dexter in the house!

onedrop

when i was kid my little league teamates and i would go over to his house all the time, he lived literally 100 feet from my house. some times he would come out and play football with us, some times he would invite us in to watch tv for a little while and talk football. and other times he would just come out and talk to us for a few minutes. he was really cool and obviously my favorite neighbor.

Are you sure you're not talking about Michael Jackson??? :laugh:

Nah, that's pretty cool!

when i was kid my little league teamates and i would go over to his house all the time, he lived literally 100 feet from my house. some times he would come out and play football with us, some times he would invite us in to watch tv for a little while and talk football. and other times he would just come out and talk to us for a few minutes. he was really cool and obviously my favorite neighbor.

That's awesome man. Hell of a luxury growing up to have Dexter Manley as your neighbor. Bet he didn't get his house rolled very often.

when he started having his difficulties back in the day it was readily apparent. he stopped answering his door and merely waved when we saw him outside. today he looked great and was all smiles. he seemed genuinely happy to see he was still loved by all the Skins fans here at work.

when i told him that i used to be his neighbor he actually said "were you one of those kids that used to come by my house asking me to play ball all the time?" needless to say my jaw hit the freakin floor. all i could say was, "i cant believe you remember that" he smiled and said "of course i do, i had a lot of fun with you kids".

Dexter is, was and will ever be THE MAN.

AWESOME story. :cheers:

Stories like that are exactly why Dexter will always be a great guy in The Book of Zoony... despite his drug problems, etc.

He is genuinely a good person. Thanks for sharing

Dexter had he not had the off the field problems would be at or close to the all-time sack record. I remember in his prime when they put up career sack totals he was always in the top 2 or 3. When he left the game obviously people surpassed his #'s. I argued with a Bills fan the other day. He talked about Bruce Smith of course. I told him when they were both in their prime Dexter was just as good as Smith if not better. Dexter Manley had a hellava 1st step off the ball.

Taylor said Manley II, even at his size, has been clocked at 4.5 seconds in the 40-yard dash and is a menace when rushing off the edge of the weak side of the offense's formation. Taylor said Manley plays the run "OK" but is best chasing the quarterback or racing across the field to make tackles.

"He's not really blockable," Taylor said.

Manley II, who expects to graduate this spring, received scholarship offers also from Louisiana State, Arizona, California, Florida, Mississippi and Utah, according to Rivals.com. He visited Oregon, LSU and Utah and said he chose the Ducks because he wanted to play in the Pacific-10 Conference, where teams pass frequently.

"That's sack central for me," Manley II said.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducksfootball/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/113781752051680.xml&coll=7

onedrop...you go to south lakes? Ya you were a youngin when he was playing..

the year i entered high school fairfax county changed the borders so everyone on the lake anne side of reston went to herndon.

yeah, i was only eleven in 82 but i had played little league for 3 years already by that time. Dexter had lived across from me for about 2 years at that point although it is hard to remember exactly.

the year i entered high school fairfax county changed the borders so everyone on the lake anne side of reston went to herndon.

yeah, i was only eleven in 82 but i had played little league for 3 years already by that time. Dexter had lived across from me for about 2 years at that point although it is hard to remember exactly.

That's pretty cool...my wife used to live right down the street from Jeff Bostic...I think she even babysat for the Bostics back in the day.

That's awesome man. Hell of a luxury growing up to have Dexter Manley as your neighbor. Bet he didn't get his house rolled very often.

growing up in reston we were surrounded by Skins. i lived next to Dexter, used to see Mann at the local giant almost weekly. Rypien lived about a mile from lake anne where i grew up. Mosely had a travel agency across the toll road and much later a burger joint in herndon. when i was about 15 i worked at the lake anne mobile gas station and Vernon Dean brought in his porsche with a flat tire.

and of course the old Redskind Park was in herndon about a 10 minute drive from my house. it was a really great place to grow up if you were a Skins fan.

growing up in reston we were surrounded by Skins. i lived next to Dexter, used to see Mann at the local giant almost weekly. Rypien lived about a mile from lake anne where i grew up. Mosely had a travel agency across the toll road and much later a burger joint in herndon. when i was about 15 i worked at the lake anne mobile gas station and Vernon Dean brought in his porsche with a flat tire.

and of course the old Redskind Park was in herndon about a 10 minute drive from my house. it was a really great place to grow up if you were a Skins fan.

When I was a courier back in the 1980s, I delivered stuff to Mike Nelms' house in Herndon and Jay Schroeder's house in Great Falls...and you DC folks know what kind of houses they have in Great Falls! :cool:

I grew up in Reston, and went to South Lakes too. Mark Murphy used to come to the field in the neighborhood and watch us all play football. He didn't say or do much, but he seemed to like watching us when he took his 2 year old to play on the playground there.

As for Dexter, thanks for the great story. It warms my heart to read that, as Dexter is one of my all time favorite Redskins. I too met Dexter once, when I was a lot older, teaching tennis. He had been "banned for life, with a possible reinstatement in one year", and I had to kick him off the court so that my kids could have their lesson. Needless to say, I was intimidated by this, but when I asked him, he was very nice about it and signed autographs for all the kids and me. I was so impressed how much of a great guy he was, when he had to be at one of the lowest points in his life.

Dexter. Always an inspiration on the field, and a fan favorite off it. It really is too bad he got hooked on drugs...

I grew up in Reston, and went to South Lakes too. Mark Murphy used to come to the field in the neighborhood and watch us all play football. He didn't say or do much, but he seemed to like watching us when he took his 2 year old to play on the playground there.

As for Dexter, thanks for the great story. It warms my heart to read that, as Dexter is one of my all time favorite Redskins. I too met Dexter once, when I was a lot older, teaching tennis. He had been "banned for life, with a possible reinstatement in one year", and I had to kick him off the court so that my kids could have their lesson. Needless to say, I was intimidated by this, but when I asked him, he was very nice about it and signed autographs for all the kids and me. I was so impressed how much of a great guy he was, when he had to be at one of the lowest points in his life.

Dexter. Always an inspiration on the field, and a fan favorite off it. It really is too bad he got hooked on drugs...

we are the same age, if you went to south lakes you must have lived on the south side of reston, huh? there is no way that we do not know some of the same folks.

when did you move to PA?

Archived